Profile for Thebookwoman > Reviews

Content by Thebookwoman

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Thebookwoman

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
by Louisa May Alcott
Edition: Audio Cassette
5 used & new from CDN$ 90.27

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wish Jamie Lee Curtis Had Made an Unabridged Recording!, July 18 2004
This review is from: Little Women (Audio Cassette)
I have always regretted that I never read Little Women by Louisa May Alcott when I was a young girl and I still haven't read the book yet but I just yesterday finished listening to this audiobook recording which is read by Jamie Lee Curtis and I liked the story and all of the characters, Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy, Marmee, Laurie (AKA Teddy), Mr. March, Mr. Brooke, Professor Baher, etc, but my favorite characters are Jo and Beth and I enjoyed listening to this audio recording and I think Jamie Lee Curtis did an excellent reading and did was very good with all of the different characters and I loved how she made her voice sound different for each character and I wish she had recorded an unabridged audiobook intstead of just abridged. This was a very heartwarming story with both happy and sad times and I found myself at times smiling and laughing at the happy and funny things and at other times I found myself crying at the sad things like with what happened to poor, sweet and gentle Beth and I'm going to look for both a paperback edition and one of the unabridged audio recordings and hopefully I will find both the paperback book and unabridged audiobook in a used book store but unfortunately the unabridged audio recordings aren't read by Jamie Lee Curtis and I hope the readers are very good like her and I very highly recommend this book in any edition audio, paperback, hardcover, etc! BTW: I have decided that even though this is abridged that the audiobook is a keeper because Jamie Lee Curtis really did a wonderful job reading it and even if I eventually get the paperback or hardcover book edition and an unabridged audio recording that this is just way too good to give away or trade so it is going on my keeper shelf in my closet and I could definitely listen to it again. I have the old out of print audiobook from Dove Audio which either went out of business or maybe they just change their name because the new in print edition of the Jamie Lee Curtis audio recording is now from New Millennium Audio but it is the same recording as my old Dove Audio recording but the one from Dove has a picture from the movie version that starred Winona Ryder and she is pictured on the cover with Clare Danes, Trini Alvardo and Kirsten Dunst and this New Millennium Audio Edition has a plain cover design.

by Louisa May Alcott
Edition: Audio Cassette
7 used & new from CDN$ 3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wish The Jamie Lee Curtis Audiobook was Unabridged!, July 17 2004
This review is from: Little Women (Audio Cassette)
I regret that I never read Louisa May Alcott's Little Women when I was a kid and I still haven't read the book yet but I just finished listening to this audiobook read by Jamie Lee Curtis and I liked the story and I liked all of the characters, Jo, Beth, Meg, Amy, Marmee, Laurie (AKA Teddy), Mr. March, Mr. Brook, Professor Bhaer, etc, but my favorite characters are Jo, Beth, Marmee and Laurie and I think Jamie Lee Curtis did a superb reading and did great with all of the different characters and making her voice sound different for each characters and I just wish she had recorded an unabridged audiobook intstead of abridged. This was a very heartwarming story with both happy and sad times and I found myself at times smiling and laughing, and crying at the sad times like with what happened to poor sweet Beth and I'm going to look for both the paperback edition and the unabridged audio recording and hopefully I will find both in a used book store but unfortunately the unabridged audio recordings aren't read by Jamie Lee Curtis and I hope the readers are good like her and I very highly recommend this book in any edition audio, paperback, hardcover, etc! BTW: I have decided that even though it's abridged that this audiobook is a keeper because Jamie Lee Curtis really did a spendid job reading it and even if I eventually get the paperback or hardcover books and an unabridged audio recording that this is just too good to get rid of so it is going on my keeper shelf in my closet and I could definitely listen to it again. I have the old out of print audiobook from Dove Audio which either went out of business or had a name change because the new in print edition of the Jamie Lee Curtis audio recording is now offered by New Millennium Audio.

City Slickers II
City Slickers II
Offered by WonderBook-USA
Price: CDN$ 12.88
3 used & new from CDN$ 12.87

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sequel That Is Good!, July 17 2004
This review is from: City Slickers II (VHS Tape)
City Slickers is a very good movie and though sequels often pale in comparison this sequel was actually pretty good and Billy Crystal, Daniel Stern and Jack Palance were still in top form and I liked the addition of Jon Lovitz as Billy's lazy freeloading brother but I wish that Bruno Kirby was in this sequel too reprising his roll from the original but it's still a good movie and I highly recommend it and I hope to buy this and the first movie on DVD!

What's Happening!! : Season 1
What's Happening!! : Season 1
DVD ~ Ernest Thomas
Offered by Moviezone
Price: CDN$ 24.99
26 used & new from CDN$ 11.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A Childhood Favorite!, July 10 2004
I was eleven years old when What's Happening premeired on television and this was a show that my friends and I enjoyed watching. This show has a very good cast, Ernest Thomas as Roger (Raj), Danielle Spencer as Raj's kid sister Dee, Mabel King as their mother, Haywood Nelson as Dwayne, Fred Berry as Rerun and Shirley Hemphill as Shirley but I think my favorite character was Dee because Danielle Spencer the actress who played her is around the same as me and the character was just very funny. I highly recommend this DVD set!

Addams Family Goes to School/
Addams Family Goes to School/
4 used & new from CDN$ 24.98

5.0 out of 5 stars The Munsters is Coming to DVD and This Should Too!, July 10 2004
The Addams Family is one of my favorite television shows. I grew up watching reruns of it in the 70s and I thought it was hilarious and I still do. TV Land recently added this to their lineup and I'm very pleased about that. John Astin and Carolyn Jones are very good as Gomez and Morticia Addams and equally good is Jackie Coogan a former childstar who starred in the Silent movie The Kid with Charlie Chaplin and in this sitcom he played Uncle Fester and the kids are very good too especially adorable Lisa Loring who played Gomez and Morticia's daughter Wednesday. This tape has some good episodes including a very funny episode in which Gomez and Morticia's son Pugsley begins to act like a normal boy and does things like play baseball and joins the Boy Scouts so they get a child psychiatrist for him. The Munsters which is another of my favorite television shows has it's first season coming out on DVD and it will be available for purchase in August and I'm going to buy it but I really want to own the Addams family on DVD too and like The Munsters The Addams Family only had two seasons so it should be a cinch to put both the complete first and second seasons on DVD!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Seasons 1-4 (Bilingual) [Import]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Seasons 1-4 (Bilingual) [Import]
DVD ~ Sarah Michelle Gellar
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 180.79
7 used & new from CDN$ 97.86

5.0 out of 5 stars What is With The Price Increase?, July 10 2004
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my favorite television show and I own seasons 1 - 5 on DVD and I'm planning on buying Season Six and I'm waiting for Season Seven to come out on DVD. I bought seasons 1 - 5 individually and this season 1 - 4 set wasn't an option when I started buying Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD and the first time I checked the Amazon.com reviews for this package they were selling it for 118.00 dollars and I wished that I had bought this set instead of buying the DVDs individually but what is with the price increase? Now the price says 182.53 dollars and I'm wondering if that is a typo or is 182.53 the normal price and was the 118.00 dollar price only a limited time sale price? Anyway in this case it seems cheaper to buy the DVD's individually and I'm now glad that is what I did but anyway I'm rating this 5 stars but only because I love seasons 1 - 4 and think they are all superb seasons!

Frasier: Season 3
Frasier: Season 3
DVD ~ Kelsey Grammer
Price: CDN$ 17.97
28 used & new from CDN$ 14.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Sitcom!!!, June 14 2004
This review is from: Frasier: Season 3 (DVD)
I used to watch Cheers when it was still on NBC and I sometimes watch the reruns on TVland. Cheers is a good sitcom that is very witty but I prefer this spinoff, Frasier which I find to be wittier and as they recently had the series finale of Frasier I will miss the loss of this show when the new TV season starts. Both Frasier and that other wonderful NBC sitcom Friends will definitely be missed but at least you can buy complete seasons on DVD! Frasier's Kelsey Grammer, David Hyde Pierce, John Mahoney, Peri Gilpin and Jane Leeves are all topnotch and make this show so enjoyable and I recommend this third season DVD box set.

Little House on the Prairie: Season 1
Little House on the Prairie: Season 1
DVD ~ Melissa Gilbert
Price: CDN$ 24.92
8 used & new from CDN$ 3.76

4.0 out of 5 stars I Loved this Show Then and I Love it Now, June 10 2004
I was nine years old when Little House on the Prairie premeired on television and it was one of my favorite television shows and I grew up watching it as the seasons went on and well I just have great memories of watching this show. I love that that the first season is on DVD and the episodes are all very good and not a dud episode can be found which is rare to not have at least one episode that is a major dud. Melissa Gilbert is absolutely wonderful as Laura Ingalls and Melissa Sue Anderson is also very good as her sister Mary and so are Michael Landon as their Pa, Charles Ingalls and Karen Grassle as their Ma, Caroline Ingalls and the rest of the cast members are good too, including Victor French as their friend the eccentric but loveable Mr. Edwards and Alison Arngrim as Laura's nemesis, Nellie Oleson. I Love Little House on the Prairie and I personally would love to own the entire series on DVD! Also if you love this series check out The Waltons which was another wonderful family show in the 70s and both shows can be viewed by the entire family.

The Jeffersons : Season 1
The Jeffersons : Season 1
DVD ~ Isabel Sanford
Offered by polski_film
Price: CDN$ 13.95
28 used & new from CDN$ 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as Good Now As It Was Back Then!, June 9 2004
This review is from: The Jeffersons : Season 1 (DVD)
I was ten years old when The Jeffersons premeired on television and I watched this show with my family, it is a spin-off from All in the Family which is another good sitcom I watched. In All in The Family The Jeffersons were next door neighbors to The Bunkers and in this spinoff George Jefferson has expanded his chain of laundomat/dry cleaning stores and is pretty well off financially and he his wife Louise and son Lionel move into the city into a very nice 3 bedroom apartment and also living in the same building are Helen and Tom Willis (Helen is black and Tom is white) and their daughter Jenny who is Lionel's girlfriend. Other good characters include Mama Jefferson, George's mother who loves to criticise Louise and there is also wisecracking maid Florence and eccentric British neighbor Mr. Bentley. This classic sitcom is just as good as All in the Family and the top-notch cast includes Sherman Hemsley as George Jefferson, Isobel Sanford as Louise (Weezy) Jefferson, Mike Evans as Lionel Jefferson, Roxie Roker as Helen Willis, Marla Gibbs as Florence and Zara Cully as Mama Jefferson. I love The Jeffersons and I highly recommend this show!

Star Trek Next Gen. #014:Datal
Star Trek Next Gen. #014:Datal
3 used & new from CDN$ 39.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Data Meets Lore!, June 8 2004
Star Trek - The Next Generation is one of my favorite television shows and the android Data is one of my favorite characters and Brent Spiner who plays him truly shines in his duel role in this episode as Data and his evil android brother Lore who is not only evil but seems to be a patholgogical liar as well. In the episode star fleet discovers an android that looks like Data and we learn that before Data's creator Dr. Soong built Data he had built an android he called Lore who turned out to be unstable so he dismantled him. This is a good episode and I recommend it to fans of Data and Brent Spiner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20