Profile for juj > Reviews

Content by juj

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"juj"

Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 50.97
10 used & new from CDN$ 7.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Jan. 28 2002
This review is from: Tie That Binds, the (DVD)
I watched it coz it wasfrom the same maker(s) of "The hand that rocks the cradle" & I had high expectations. All I can say is it's no near to that movie & this film is such a disappointment.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & unique, Jan. 28 2002
It's uncommon manner of presentation makes this film unique & sets it above the other suspense/thriller movies. We immediately know how it ended right at the start of the movie but what makes it extraordinarily gripping is the series of events that led to its real denouement. The 'twist' at the end of the film (which is actually the start of the entire movie) explains all the why's & how's you may have felt while watching it. Moreover, watching it the 2nd time around makes you comprehend more. You realize that you missed something during your 1st viewing, & watching it again helps you understand the film better. My husband & I have seen it twice, & we still debate as to what has actually transpired. Isn't that amazing?

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle (Bilingual)
The Hand That Rocks the Cradle (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Annabella Sciorra
Price: CDN$ 9.97
36 used & new from CDN$ 4.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Predictable but scary, Jan. 28 2002
Yes, scary because it is scary to find out that the people whom you trust turn out to be someone you shouldn't. It's predictable because at the very start, we all know that Rebecca DeMornay is the wife of the doctor who sexually harrassed his patients & later on committed suicide upon losing face. We all know that she seeked employment in that particular household to aenge her husband's death, her loss & all other pain both real & imagined caused by her psychological breakdown. What keeps the viewers glued to the set is the exceptional performance of Rebecca -- what would she do next to the hapless unsuspecting victims. I got acquainted with her through this film & up to these days, I still remember her because of her excellent performance in this film.

Monkeybone (Widescreen) (Bilingual)
Monkeybone (Widescreen) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Brendan Fraser
Offered by Rainy Day Games
Price: CDN$ 8.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 1.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't Fraser get better roles?, Jan. 28 2002
I see Fraser as a good actor with lots of potential for stardom but he is being typecasted in dumb roles lately (except for the Mummy series)-- this film being one of them. Though there were some funny scenes, I did not find the entire film hilarious. There were other "stars" in the cast but they were not given more exposure. The film was primarily carried by Fraser, who though great with his goofy antics, was simultaneously tiresome being typecasted in such roles. If there ever was one thing I would remember it for for a long long time, it would be the annoying monkey character that Stu has made. If they meant that creature to represent the dark side of our ever lovable protagonist "Stu", then at least, they were successful in irritating the viewers.

Single White Female (Bilingual)
Single White Female (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Bridget Fonda
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 57.76
11 used & new from CDN$ 4.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of strangers, Jan. 28 2002
Overall, a suspenseful movie despite some slasher scenes towards the end. I wasn't familiar with Fonda & Leight when I first saw this so the actresses did not have any influence on my rating of the movie. Another reviewer once mentioned that you would either treat this movie as a suspense centering on a girl's psychological problem or a typical slasher film. After having seen it for myself, its fair to say that its overall delivery is satisfactory & deserves a better opinion.

Point of No Return
Point of No Return
VHS
2 used & new from CDN$ 14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Ravioli anyone?, Jan. 28 2002
This review is from: Point of No Return (VHS Tape)
Common, it was not that bad. It may not be excellent but it was not a boring flop at all. Actually, I still enjoyed watching it the 2nd time after 8 years. If there's anything I would remember this movie for eternity, it would be B. Fonda's buying a dozen cans of Ravioli.
(P.S. That's kind'a weird. No matter how junkie you are, you know what to feed yourself)

The Vagina Monologues: The V-Day Edition
The Vagina Monologues: The V-Day Edition
by Eve Ensler
105 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars If only our V's could talk..., Jan. 23 2002
...it would have told us how it feels during menstrual period, how it wants to be dressed up & decorated, how it wants to be called/addressed, how it wants to pleased, & a lot of other things we can & cannot imagine.
More than anything else, I believe the author's purpose in creating this book is for women to be comfortable with their private parts & to accept their feminine desires & needs are jsut as normal.

101 Nights of Grrreat Sex
101 Nights of Grrreat Sex
by Laura Corn
38 used & new from CDN$ 4.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting!, Jan. 23 2002
This book is divided into a his & hers portion & each seduction tip is not only explained in details, but also further classified into cost category.
I find the tips funny, sexy & yes, REAL & can actually be carried out.
If you're not comfortable doing some of the suggested stuff yet, I suggest you start with the simple ones.
One good thing about this book is that the pages are sealed for secrecy & added excitement. However, once you have ripped the pages off, you cannot put them back; you have to keep a separate envelope to keep your portion of the tips :-)

Lord of the Flies
Lord of the Flies
by William Golding
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless piece!, Jan. 23 2002
This seemingly short book about a group of boys marooned in an island has more to it than simple adventures. It does not only shows how each boy (of varying ages) responds to his predicament, but also deals with man's nature & the society through symbolisms.
It is inate in us to differentiate good & evil, & this characteristic is further strengthened by the society's norms. Ralph represents our logical side which is continuously governed by reason ("Piggy"). Both Ralph & Piggy embody our continuous search for civilization & order. However, also inate in us, is a brewing desire to do what we really want, no matter how unjustly or incorrect it is. Jack portrays this aggressive behavior.
In an ideal environment, it is common for men to have desires but these can only be manifested & carried it out if they comply with society's set rules. However, this is not the usual case. The catastrophe faced by the boys only magnifies society's imperfections. These ills cannot be easily cured on a superficial level. The success or breakdown in society can all be traced to man's inner stability.

Singin' in the Rain
Singin' in the Rain
DVD ~ Gene Kelly
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 47.42
7 used & new from CDN$ 5.55

4.0 out of 5 stars A great muscial film! Very entertaining!, Jan. 23 2002
This review is from: Singin' in the Rain (DVD)
Having finally decided to watch this film (which is of my parents' time frame), I was awed by the costumes, numbers & its ingenuity. Set in the heyday of silent movies & about to enter the era of "talkies",the movie was filled with Kelly's superb numbers (e.g. the unforgettable "Singin' in the Rain" number)& O'Connor's funny antics (yet, equally admirable muscial genius). Reynolds, with her limited exposure, was just as good with her songs & tap-dance numbers. Lina Lamont, portrayed by Jean Hagen,was the funny villaniness with her hair-raising screechy voice. Very different from the modern, high-budget films of today, the actors were not only beautiful but were very talented as well. Such a wholesome movie. How come we do not have this nowadays?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19