1.0 out of 5 stars
Terrible, July 23 2002
This is a terrible book. It doesn't accomplish what it purports.
The back cover says, "Learn backgammon from scratch"; "An ideal
first backgammon book for all ages." A bunch of lies. The title
should be: To Double or not to Double; To Take or Pass. Because that's what this book is about: 95% of it bows to the contemporary player's god -- the doubling cube. Nothing is said
if it doesn't lead to a cube decision. In other words, you don't learn the game, you don't learn tactics or strategy(that should come first!); all you learn(maybe) is to double or not to double.
I said 95%. What about the other 5%? Also bad. The author contradicts himself. On page 20 he tells you that when you have to choose between hitting a blot and making a point, you should
hit. On page 21 there's an exercise where you have to do precisely that. But then you look up the solution and the author advises you to make a point and not hit!! When he's explaining the rules for beginners he tells you that if you have two checkers on one point, your opponent can't move onto it, but he forgets to tell you that this is called "making a point"; later
he uses this expression, which he hasn't explained. I know that, you know that, but does a rank beginner know that? And it's not
on the (poor) glossary at the end of the book either.
In essence, if you want to know more about the cube, maybe this book will help you; if you want to know more about the game itself(strategy, tactics), you'd better look elsewhere.