Profile for Michael R. Hildebrandt > Reviews

Content by Michael R. Hil...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Michael R. Hildebrandt

Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season [Blu-ray]
Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 52.99
16 used & new from CDN$ 47.99

4.0 out of 5 stars SeasonPlay feature is interesting, Sept. 10 2014
Regarding the other person complaining about the menus and lack of a "play all" function... It's there, called SeasonPlay. It's designed to play all the episodes in order, and remember what episode is next and where in an episode you are if you stop half-way. I've only watched two episodes so far, but I did so without having to return to the menu and select the next episode, watching warnings, etc. as the other commenter indicated was necessary. And it's really cool because when I come back to watch more another day, I won't have to remember which episode I watched last since it'll automatically know. And appparently when it's time to swap discs, it'll jump right into the episode without any of the usual stuff that normally plays when you pop in a new disc (I've only watched two episodes so far, so I can't confirm that's truly what happens though).

The other interesting feature of SeasonPlay is the ability to create profiles for multiple people. So one person in the household could select their name and it'll jump into episode 5, and somebody else could select their profile and it'll know they're half-way through episode 3.

Final Fantasy X*X2 HD - PlayStation 3
Final Fantasy X*X2 HD - PlayStation 3
Price: CDN$ 19.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, about half-way between the original and FF13, March 26 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I've been playing Final Fantasy 13 recently, so I'm used to how that looks. So before starting this, I popped in the original PS2 version and played the first 10-15 minutes. The remaster is a BIG improvement. The higher resolution and crisp audio are great. It definitely still has a bit of an "older game" feel to it though, after playing FF13 - for example, the character models (especially NPCs) aren't as highly detailed as with more modern games, and there definitely isn't the depth of facial expression that I've grown accustomed to.

But I'm still glad I purchased this and am greatly enjoying playing it again, and look forward to seeing all the extras that the original North American release of both games didn't get.

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy - Extended Edition [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Elijah Wood
Price: CDN$ 38.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 33.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviews are getting mixed up?, March 18 2011
So many reviews here are people complaining about the set they purchased not being shipped. However, these reviews are all for the DVD set, not the Blu-ray. So why on Earth is Amazon listing all those reviews on the Blu-ray product's page? It's bound to get confusing for customers. I know I was wondering what these people were talking about at first until I saw another review clarifying the others were referring to the DVD.

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Edward James Olmos
Price: CDN$ 109.99
22 used & new from CDN$ 106.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't worry, The Plan IS there., April 12 2010
I was initially worried when I got this that there was a manufacturing problem with my set - everything I had read had indicated that this was a 26-disc set that included The Plan, but my box says it includes 25 discs, and no mention of The Plan at all. And none of the disc cases indicated that The Plan was on any of them. But there was a sticker on the shrinkwrap that said The Plan was included so I was wondering what's up. Then I saw another review here where someone else pointed out where they finally found it - hiding in the Season 4.0 disc 4 case.

It looks to me like adding The Plan was a last minute decision, after the packaging had already been designed and probably even printed, so they simply decided to swap out one of the slim cases with a dual slim case to add the extra disc and didn't bother with the expense of updating the packaging. Which is a shame, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who was initially disappointed about the missing copy of The Plan. They should have at least put a sticker on the outside telling people where to find it rather than it being a surprise months down the road when they finally get to that disc in the series.

If they had taken the care to make sure the packaging was accurate I would have given five stars, but they didn't so for that this set loses a star.