Profile for S. LeBlanc > Reviews

Content by S. LeBlanc

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

S. LeBlanc (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Celebration Day: Deluxe Edition (CD Digipak + Bonus Material) [2 CD + 2 DVD]
Celebration Day: Deluxe Edition (CD Digipak + Bonus Material) [2 CD + 2 DVD]
Price: CDN$ 36.87
35 used & new from CDN$ 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, Nov. 28 2012
Haven't gotten through the whole DVD yet. Just watched "In My Time of Dying" and I'm pumped. My favourite off Physical Graffiti. I remember being a teen listening to that song in amazement. And I'm still amazed by it. This is one of the all time greatest rock bands still showing why they are the best. Keep in mind I haven't heard the entire show yet, but my early impression is I love that they're not trying to sound like current heavy metal or whatever. They're not giving new interpretations. They're giving fans what we want to hear, classic Led Zeppelin. Great music, great playing. Nice to see all these guys together along with Jason.

Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 49.77
30 used & new from CDN$ 14.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Exploring outside your normal musical horizons, May 14 2012
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
As a kid I saw Mahavishnuv Orchestra on TV perform "resolution." I was mesmerized by the song. I'm not into jazz but this was jazz I, a hard rock/guitar rock fan, could get into. Years later I bought the Birds of Fire record, and wondered if the group put out other releases and what such releases were like. One of the great things about this original album classics series is it allows you to explore, at a cheap price, music/groups outside your normal interests. To me it was fascinating to finally expand my awareness of this group. MO was one of the earliest groups mixing jazz and rock. I have little understanding for jazz so I'll stay clear of that. The group should also be of interest to progressive rock fans. I hear a clear connection to Kansas, Yes, Dream Theatre. As a classic 70s rock fan I found the rawness and guitar soloing of the first record especially interesting.

Price: CDN$ 19.99
29 used & new from CDN$ 14.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Nugent solo work, April 8 2012
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
Ted's first solo record, Ted Nugent, is his classic. This is Detroit City rock at its best. Of the albums here this is the one I'll listen to the most. I'm not sure what he had in mind for Free-for-all. Maybe he was trying to be respectable, and this record shows why Ted shouldn't strive for respectability. There is some impressive guitar work here, so axe maniacs might want to listen to this album solely for that, but for me none of the songs here cuts it. An interesting but disappointing effort. Cat Scratch Fever is Ted's commercial classic, one of his best and the record that introduced me to him. It was great listening to it again. Weekend Warriors is ok, but nothing more. It has some good music on it. Scream Dream is Ted taking his insane rocker act way too far. When this record came out I remember deciding not to buy it for two main reasons: 1) I heard Wango Tango and thought it had to be one of the most annoying things I'd ever heard. 2) Ted on the cover looking like a male stripper... not what I'm into. I don't buy records with male strippers on them; buying records with girl strippers on them... Ok, I've been guilty of that. This was the first time I've heard this record. You would think the other songs couldn't possibly be as bad as Wango Tango. Wrong. One thing you have to say for this record is it's consistent. From the cover through every song it just su-ks... and Ted can spit that out.

Foghat: Original Album Series
Foghat: Original Album Series
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 55.44
36 used & new from CDN$ 16.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic clues rock band, March 15 2012
Foghat, one of the best 70 blues rock bands. This five album set is a good collection of their work throughout the 70s. I have one complaint. I think these album sets should have consecutive releases, not be skipping records as this one does. That way you can see how the group progresses from album to album. The production of their first record is uneven but there's some great songs here. Energized is the record that introduced me to the group. Although it's very commercial I think it's my favourite . Probably one of the best arena rock records ever. Fool for the city is probably their best overall record. Live is a good live record, but I can't say it's great. Tight Shoes is a disappointment. One of the good things about these 5 album box sets is if one disc turns out to be a dud you still get 4 good CDs.

Original Album Classics - 5CD Slipcase Toto / Hydra / Turn Back / Toto IV / Isolation
Price: CDN$ 19.99
26 used & new from CDN$ 16.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Good commercial rock, March 3 2012
I think Toto are a band that never got the respect they should have. They put down some important work on their first four albums, although the second was a bit of a letdown. Toto was a commercial band with dept. Normally I stay away from commercial music, especially from the 80s, but these guys had something to them. They were intelligent, they could rock, they could be soft, they were progressive and they could put down a beat. I think they drew so much flack because they were one band that showed how popular music should be done, which is something too many people can't wrap their heads around. Although the fifth disc in this collection shows them degrading into the spiritless music tag that was attached to them early on, I think the other four discs, for the most part, show why this is a band that deserves to be taken seriously.

Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 241.24
3 used & new from CDN$ 241.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Argent five records set, Feb. 3 2012
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
Got a couple more box sets in Sony Music Original Album Classics series. Lov these things. Great idea putting 5 albums together at a cheap price. There are bands I want to check out, who I'm not that familiar with. This series lets you experience not just one record but their work over a longer period. Just listened to the Argent set, who I knew from their one hit and songs other bands had hits with. Great band, excellent musicianship, but I found their overall output was uneven, which can explain why they weren't more successful. Argent is remembered mostly for their big hit, "Hold Your Head Up" -I heard that on radio when it was a hit, and it's always been a favourite. Some bands get a big hit and say they don't want to be defined by it. Maybe that's the problem with Argent. I'm not saying try copying the hit over and over, but that song was popular for a reason. It showed what people wanted to hear. The band should have used it to definite their overall sound. No matter, anyone into the best of 70s rock should check out these albums.

We Wish You A Metal Christmas
We Wish You A Metal Christmas
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 38.95
8 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, Dec 16 2011
Just listened to a CD I bought a few yrs ago, Metal Xmas. This is only the second time I've listened to it. I think this is one of the best Christmas albums I've heard. Great songs, played with a lot of spirit, and talent. And it's metal that leans towards hard rock, which is more my thing.This isn't just great Christmas music it's great music period.

O Christmas Three
O Christmas Three
Price: CDN$ 17.37
23 used & new from CDN$ 2.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Chicago O Christmas Three, Dec 4 2011
This review is from: O Christmas Three (Audio CD)
Around ten years ago I bought a Chicago Christmas CD and, to be blunt about it, thought it was the worst load of... I'd ever heard. I couldn't believe this once great band had fallen so low. So when I noticed this new Christmas CD I was leery, but decided to try it out. This is much better music.I'd still rather hear the Chicago of the first three albums, but this is music I can enjoy. A good Christmas album.

Live
Live
Price: CDN$ 15.04
4 used & new from CDN$ 15.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Opening memories, Oct. 2 2011
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
I love it when old records like this come out on CD. Records can bring back memories from the past. Through them you can visit who you once were. This one came out when I was in Jr High. I remember looking it over at the K-Mart, thinking it had a cool cover. Not long before the group had a sappy hit on the radio. My older bro was with me and said that's the group with that stupid song, you don't want to buy that. I guess I have a longer memory then his, because I remembered their earlier hits. I said, no they're a good band. I bought it. When we got home and listened to it my bro had to admitted I was right, it was a good album. That's the only time I remember him admitting he was wrong, I was right.

This is great 70s rock. This is how I like to hear music played. Great guitar work. I like how the instruments are distinct. The two guitars, for example, clearly stand out from each other. Today often all the instruments are mixed together so it all sounds like just one big mass of sound. Here you get a sense of four people playing together. To me, that's exciting.

Ghost Blues: The Story of Rory Gallagher & the Beat Club Sessions
Ghost Blues: The Story of Rory Gallagher & the Beat Club Sessions
DVD ~ Rory Gallagher
Price: CDN$ 21.99
21 used & new from CDN$ 16.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Live Gallagher, Nov. 3 2010
I want to thank Eagle Vision for putting out more Gallagher performances. I hope they keep that up. I like putting an artist documentary in with a live material. Once and a while I check out what's on one of the music channels and every time if it's not the Bret Michaels story it's a feature on a rap star. Not interested. Putting a documentary in a package like this is a great thing. It's great for people like me who aren't into whatever's in fashion at the moment. This is a good MTV-type rock documentary.
I love the Beat Club Sessions CD and DVD. The DVD brought back memories--not of this show, which was new to me, but around this time ('71-2) the first rock groups I ever saw were on similar shows. I got a kick out the shots of the small audience sitting in stands. Kind of brought me back in time. The best thing about these live performances is we see Rory doing early material that he didn't do later in his career, which I think is a pity. One of my favorite songs is "Crest of a Wave" and it's rare to hear him do it live. Another rare treat is hearing "Just the Smile" live.

Page: 1 | 2