Profile for Dawn Rouse > Reviews

Content by Dawn Rouse

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dawn Rouse "PhD in training" (Montreal, QC, CA)

Me Talk Pretty One Day
Me Talk Pretty One Day
by David Sedaris
Price: CDN$ 13.00
161 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice addition to my Sedaris Collection..., June 16 2001
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
I am a Hard core Sedaris Fan. I have the books, the books read by author on tape and if the man is in New England, we travel to see him.
Like many others, NPR and Ira Glass were my first conduit into the world of Sedaris. My personal treat about this book is that I was able to see the Author doing a Public Radio support tour, where he was reading many stories from this still to be published at the time book. He tried out some different versions of these edited stories and made no bones about the fact that he was trying these out on us to gauge their effect.
His writing style is at times a bit uneven, but much more personal in this book than in the previous books. I did not find every story "Laugh out loud" funny, but I don't think that Sedaris has ever framed himself as a comedian.
He's just a guy who fights Obsessive Compulsive disorder who grew up in an odd American Family - likes bizarre knick knacks and happens to be a gay man, with a tremedous talent for crafting words and phrases.
Plus, once you hear his voice, you will never again read anything of his without hearing that reedy, oddly pitched voice humming away.

Cuban Lullaby (Cuba)
Cuban Lullaby (Cuba)
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 25.66
7 used & new from CDN$ 25.54

5.0 out of 5 stars TV Free time has never sounded so lovely..., Jan. 23 2001
This review is from: Cuban Lullaby (Cuba) (Audio CD)
My Husband and I decided in December that our 2 and a half year old daughter was far too interested in the television. We found that as soon as we arrived home at night, the crying for this video or that video was taking over our family life and was appalling to us. To curb this interest, we decreed that 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. every night was "TV free Time".
This was one of the CD sets I purchased at the beginning of TV free time - and has morphed into a CD that comes into our Car to ride back and forth with us on our 45 minute commute, as well as a CD I choose to listen to by myself.
The quality of music, the gorgeous voices all blend into a CD of stunning depth and loveliness. Too much of "children's" music is sappy, thrown together. This is NOT one of these. If you are a parent who wishes to encourage a love of high quality music that showcases the diversity of musical styles, voices and rhythms that our world has to offer, then I highly encourage the Ellipsis Arts series- They are all fabulous. We are a family that travels to the Montreal Jazz Festival every year as a pilgrimage and who takes the music we raise our daughter on as seriously as two music loving parents can.
This is truly one of the most beautiful CD's that I have purchased in the last year and can not reccomend it highly enough.

Car Tunes
Car Tunes
Price: CDN$ 21.13
11 used & new from CDN$ 5.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner - Easy to bear Children's Music..., Jan. 3 2001
This review is from: Car Tunes (Audio CD)
If your child is like mine, then they go through developmental phases which demand that the CD of the moment be played over and over and over again. We have survived this CD and it's many replayings, without animosity ( unlike that which I feel for a certian purple dinosaur...)
I have other Sugar Beats CD's and this one does not fail to please. I must say that this is one of the very few children's CD's in which the children singing does not annoy the heck out of me. Nice songs, catchy arrangements with lyrics I enjoy and remember. She likes to see Mommy singing along with the tape.
You can't go wrong - and you will live to tell the tale!

The Amber Spyglass: His Dark Materials: His Dark Materials - Book III
The Amber Spyglass: His Dark Materials: His Dark Materials - Book III
by Philip Pullman
Price: CDN$ 15.68
84 used & new from CDN$ 0.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Who would have expected so much from a "Young adult" series?, Dec 30 2000
I picked up the "Golden Compass" on a whim - It had just been reviewed favorably on NPR and I walked into my local Book store to find it in Hardcover and in the clearance rack! Kismet!
Needless to say, it was difficult to wait the past 2 years for the follow up to the Subtle Knife. Yes, I read the Harry Potter's and yes, they were amusing to me, but these books are the real deal my friends.
As a child who grew up on Narnia and the Tolkin Books, this all felt like very familiar territory for me. The writing was complex and with enough use of language and metaphor that I was amused and provoked. I love good wordsmiths, and I feel that Pullman is one.
Yes, the beginning was a bit slow. Yes, If I hadn't been so eager to jump into the book, I would have re-read the first two, so as to get my bearings. However, it did not take long to re-orient myself to the story and get absorbed by the story.
This is Not Harry Potter. While I enjoyed those books, These are more fully written and fully realized stories. People Die, sometimes evil wins, and everyone does not walk away happy at the end. That is what good writing should be - even if the story was a bit thin in some places, I forgive the author for an excellent trilogy, with a very engaging ending.
I would be most happy to see Pullman re-visit some of his characters - especially Mary Malone, and Iorek. There are more stories to be mined in these pages.
Curl up and read these over this long winter. They are worth the time spent.

Blue's Big Musical Movie
Blue's Big Musical Movie
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 61.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 52.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Even My Husband will listen to this in the car....., Dec 29 2000
And that, my friends, says a lot! Our 2 and a half year old has been bitten by the Blue Bug HARD. Bought as a last minute Christmas Gift, we have been listening to this non stop for 2 weeks now and still we are not annoyed. The music is peppy and lyrics are reasonably interesting. Steve's big solo "Smart like you" even has a strange "Girl form Ipanema" quality that my husband noticed immediately. The music styles are varied and well arranged.
I knew that this was a nice CD, when my husband picked it up to take it in the car with him 2 nights ago. He never volunteers to take any children's music with him!

Sesame Street:Elmo Says Boo
Sesame Street:Elmo Says Boo
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable to watch, but a parent needed to help....., Aug. 25 2000
My Daughter - now 2- is an Elmo fanatic. And while she was quite excited to see the new video, it has taken 3 viewings With Mommy close by to feel comfortable with this video.
Between the friendly ghosts, the rattling skeleton and the spooky organ, she was quite unsure - especially when she saw Elmo jump or cry out with fright. She was also very skittish through the Ernie and Bert in Egypt skit - with the "Ernie" statue that moved.
That is not to say that she now does not love this video - I just want to caution parents that they may need to be close by to do some explaining and reassuring as it can be a bit spooky. Unlike one like the "Best of Elmo", I think this one needs a big lap to snuggle into to enjoy!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Book 4)
by J. K. Rowling
149 used & new from CDN$ 1.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues to please - cover to cover!, July 11 2000
The Fourth Book does not fail to meet up to the Wonderful quality of the first 3. With an extremely engaging storyline ( which I will not give away here!) as well as some quite unexpected twists, I was engrossed from Saturday to Monday night , when I finished.
It was even a Little scarier than I expected towards the end, but all in all a very good book. I look forward to the 5th!

Sao Salvador
Sao Salvador
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 31.13
9 used & new from CDN$ 6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars A Long time fan finds another treasure for her CD, April 10 2000
This review is from: Sao Salvador (Audio CD)
Well, let me start out by saying that from the moment I pressed play on the CD player, my 2 year old began to dance madly about the house. Usually, that indicates a great CD.
I was so very fortunate to see Ricardo and Makina Loca a few years ago when they played the Montreal Jazz festival and may I say that it was one of the most mesmerizing and fabulous performances I have witnessed. The music, the singer and the dancers at their feet melded into one hot, grooving force. My husband and I stayed until the bitter end and we all screamed out for more!
I then rushed to buy their self released "Tata Masamba " and not a week goes by that I don't play one of my 3 Makina Loca CD's.
This 3rd CD does not disappoint - all that there is to love about Makina Loca is back in force ( and Ricardo even does a little English speaking on this one!)
If you like the Afro-Cuabn All Stars, or teh Buena Vista Social Club, give this a try. If you are new to Afro Cuban Music, you won't believe how good music can be until you are dancing around your house to Makina Loca.
and for god's sake -- if they play near you GO SEE THEM and bring lots of water cause you'll need it!

Good Wives: Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England, 1650-1750
by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Price: CDN$ 14.44
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a Favorite after 10 years!!, Oct. 22 1999
I was required to read this book in college. To note that I kept it, and have re-read it many times tells you what a service Ulrich has done with this material. Her organiztion of subject is beautifully done , with lots of biblical allegory's. IMO, one of the overlooked gems of modern writing. Every Person should read this book!