Profile for Petrol > Reviews

Content by Petrol

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Petrol (Brooklyn, NY USA)

Diary
Diary
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 22.95
12 used & new from CDN$ 2.83

4.0 out of 5 stars rediscovered, June 19 2003
This review is from: Diary (Audio CD)
Going through my stacks of cds, I came across a copy of SDRE's Diary. Never listened to it, and was pleasantly surprised that...they're good! Looked up the cd on Amazon and whispered to myself - oh, so that's what emo's supposed to be. I guess... I like emo then. Maybe =D

Global Knives Cooks Knife 20 Cm
Global Knives Cooks Knife 20 Cm
Price: CDN$ 111.68
13 used & new from CDN$ 68.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen confidential Tips and tricks, June 18 2003
Based on Chef Tony's recommendations, I put this knife on a Christmas wishlist and was superbly delighted that the Chef knows what he's talking about. The 8-inch Chef's Knife is light, sharp, and versatile. Meats, veggies, fruits, fish don't stand a chance. I recently received another of Chef Tony's suggestions: the Wusthof offset-serrated knife (it's available here for 30-some dollars) and between these two, there's nothing you can't do in the kitchen. Who is Chef Tony? Anthony Bourdain. Go get "Kitchen Confidential" and find out what I'm yammering about :)

Purified Liquid Lounge Chill
Purified Liquid Lounge Chill
Offered by mdo7
Price: CDN$ 27.80
7 used & new from CDN$ 27.80

5.0 out of 5 stars amazingly awesome, May 14 2003
My usual favorites are Korn, Linkin Park, Cold, and really aggressive stuff. This double cd is a most refreshing change of pace. I'm not embarassed to say: it's really quite good. Check it out. Doubly highly recommended!

Oeuvres Pour Vln/Pno
Oeuvres Pour Vln/Pno
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 51.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 44.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Ravel = God, Feb. 9 2003
This review is from: Oeuvres Pour Vln/Pno (Audio CD)
Says a friend of mine after we've been hanging out at the neighborhood lounge. On a late Saturday night after the downtempo/chillhouse electronica segues into crazy dancing fun 80s pop and no one's ready to go home yet, it's time to break out the Ravel. This cd fits the bill perfectly. I especially like "Son Blues (Moderato)", but there is so much to Ravel that having just one favorite isn't quite complete. But the thrill though, of being able to play Ravel at a bar after hours. Really quite nothing like it ^_^

Idoru
Idoru
by William Gibson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.54
83 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars William Gibson's best yet, Jan. 27 2003
This review is from: Idoru (Mass Market Paperback)
I own all of Gibson's books and have read and re-read every single one of them. WG was the first cyberpunk author I hooked into but not my favorite. Bruce Sterling and Neal Stephenson imho have a tighter control over their writing and a better flow. Check out Holy Fire and Snow Crash. BS tends to go crazy and lose you in midstream, but he gets you back sure enough. NS is just awesome. Imagine the world 50, no 20 years from now as he envisions it. I think the word you're looking for is Wow.

Serial Experiments Lain: V.1 Navi (ep.1-4)
Serial Experiments Lain: V.1 Navi (ep.1-4)
DVD ~ Bridget Hoffman
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 42.27
8 used & new from CDN$ 17.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Opened the next...., June 29 2002
Came upon Lain when I was scouring deviantart for wallpapers on slow day at work. It just calls out to you... Lain does. I looked it up on google groups, went on newsgroups, asked some anime otaku, read the reviews here and elsewhere - did the full-on research thing. What that other review says about Lain not for the DBZ crowd is only partly right. I enjoy smash-em-loud, yang anime and watched DBZ for two years. Lain is a different wavelength altogether. It's not as serious/depressing/weird as I thought it would be. But then again, I've only seen this first dvd. Yup, bought it today :) I'm gonna get the whole boxset and give my copy of Navi to a friend and get them started on Lain. It's good, smart anime worth sharing :)
PS. Navi's so good, I've already viewed it twice and started vidcapping on the third. Anyone for Lain wallpapers? (: