Profile for Nicolas Barakat > Reviews

Content by Nicolas Barakat

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Nicolas Barakat "BaraChat" (Quebec)

Metro Last Light Limited Edition - PlayStation 3
Metro Last Light Limited Edition - PlayStation 3
Price: CDN$ 34.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A vast improvement., Nov. 18 2013
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I had played the first Metro game (named Metro 2033) a few years ago. I liked the atmosphere and the setting the game offered (Post-apocalyptic world, people trying to survive in Moscow's metro system since the surface is infected by monsters, radiation, etc.), but the gameplay was clunky and I had trouble really enjoying the experience.

Last Light offered a significantly better experience than its predecessor. The gameplay is now very solid, the atmosphere is as heavy and unsettling as ever and the pacing is fantastic. 4A has done a great job mixing action set-pieces with others that require stealth and the regular visit through a human settlement to re-stock on ammo, weapon, and the joy of seeing (somewhat) friendly human faces. The 30 chapters are not equally divided, time-wise, some will last 4-5 minutes and you won't even have to take a weapon, and others might take you 40 minutes to sneak around various creatures. But you get the feeling Artyom's (the name of the protagonist) adventure never truly stops.

Two negative points I have to bring up. The first one might not be the game's fault, but I really had trouble with some parts of the game set in darkness. Obviously stealth plays a huge role in the game as you can sneak by basically every enemy in the game if you want to, but it's hard to be stealthy when you can't see a damn thing. I mean I know it's supposed to be dark so the enemies can't spot you, but until I got a gun with an IR scope, it wasn't easy to go around without using the lighter and risk being spotted. And I had the brightness settings of the game at very high. You eventually work around it, but it was a bit annoying.
Also, the story was a bit hard to follow. I usually love post-apocalyptic storylines, but while I knew what my objective was at all points in the game, I couldn't always understand (read : I understood about 70% of it) the big picture, and this takes away some of the fun. After all, it is a story-driven game.

It is still a very enjoyable game, which would probably rate closer to 4.5 stars if the rating system allowed it. It reminded me a bit of Singularity, but with a lot more stealth sections. I'd highly recommend it to basically every gamer, especially now since you can get it for around 30$.

Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition - PlayStation 3
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition - PlayStation 3
Offered by 1stVideo
Price: CDN$ 27.89
5 used & new from CDN$ 24.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game from 2008 PLUS 5 expansions? You get it., Dec 7 2010
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Fallout 3 was, for me, the best game that came out in 2008. I've played it for over 100 hours and I still feel I haven't done everything. When the GOTYe came out, I sold Fallout 3 (for 40$, no less) then ran off to the store to buy it.

To be fair, I haven't tried all 5 expansion sets, but since Fallout 3 was already an all-time great, adding content was sure to make a 5-star game an even better 5-star game, even if not all expansions are great (Mothership Zeta, for one, isn't very good), you still get a lot for the money you're paying. Obviously, if you had already bought any of the expansions (which I didn't), it would be a waste of money.

If you don't like Western RPGs or long, relatively slow games. Stay away from that one. But if you're looking for an amazing experience in the Capital Wasteland, by all means go and get it. And the game (not the GOTYe) is a greatest hit, which means you can get it for like 20 bucks.