Profile for Nicolas Barakat > Reviews

Content by Nicolas Barakat

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Nicolas Barakat "BaraChat" (Quebec)

The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to The Sports Guy
The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to The Sports Guy
by Bill Simmons
18 used & new from CDN$ 4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential read for NBA fans, Aug. 5 2014
Since I first read this book years ago, it has become my personal reference for basically all things basketball. This doesn't mean I blindly agree with everything Bill Simmons says about the NBA or teams or even players, but you can clearly see that the man knows his stuff. And, more importantly, he LOVES the NBA and the sport of basketball.

Anyway, the book is split into chapters. First he goes around looking for the "Secret" of basketball, and that leads him, eventually, to a encounter with Isiah Thomas near a topless pool of a hotel. Then he goe quickly through the history of the league (and the ABA), throws some "what-ifs" in there, entertains us with the things he'd like to see change in the League. Then comes the big part, the pyramid of the 96 best players ever (which has changed since the book was released half a decade ago. You will not agree with everything, but its basis is pretty damn solid. He then talks about MVPs, greatest teams ever and the "Wine Cellar Team". And I know I'm missing a lot.

As you can tell, this book is freaking loaded. And that's not even all of it. You'll enjoy hundreds (I'm not kidding) of footnotes regarding everything from Teen Wolf, the biggest dicks in NBA lockers rooms, the Mokeski award for the best white american player, the Popeye Jones All-Stars for the ugliest players ever, many many jabs at Abdul-Jabbar, endless pop culture references and dozens of other small things such as these to make this book of the most enjoyable and fun reads around.

Read it, you certainly won't regret it.

The Bourne Trilogy (The Bourne Identity / The Bourne Supremacy / The Bourne Ultimatum) [Blu-ray] (Sous-titres français)
DVD ~ Franka Potente
Price: CDN$ 45.20
17 used & new from CDN$ 37.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, Aug. 5 2014
Easily the best action-movie trilogy since the original 90's Die Hard. Can't go wrong here.

PS Vita Travel EVA Protective Case - PlayStation Portable Standard Edition
PS Vita Travel EVA Protective Case - PlayStation Portable Standard Edition
Price: CDN$ 9.92
8 used & new from CDN$ 9.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little case., Aug. 5 2014
Great little case for the price. I've owned it for two and a half years and only now is the elastic keeping the Vita in place starting to loosen a little. The case itself is solid and feel very safe. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

Tall Tales: The Glory Years of the Nba, in the Words of the Men Who Played, Coached, and Built Pro Basketball
by Terry Pluto
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of NBA history., Aug. 5 2014
One of the most enthralling books about the history of the NBA. I love how the author, Terry Pluto, brilliantly uses the voices of players, coaches, journalists, referees, etc. to build the stories. Or "Tales", if you will. It really makes the book feel alive. Along with Loose Balls (on the ABA), I feel like this book is a must-read for everyone with the slightest interest in the NBA.

Bioshock Infinite Ultimate Songbird Edition - PlayStation 3
Bioshock Infinite Ultimate Songbird Edition - PlayStation 3
6 used & new from CDN$ 431.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, Aug. 5 2014
One of the best games of the seventh-generation. Irrational has lived up to the immense hype generated around this game. If you're looking for memorable characters, varied and satisfying gameplay, astonishing locations and one of the best stories ever told in a video game, look no further.

This Ultimate Edition truly is fantastic. The songbird figurine is amazing, even if it's a tad smaller than I expected. The other bonuses are pretty cool as well. A great package overall, but maybe a smidge overpriced. I feel like 120$ to 130$ would have been perfect.

Anyway, play this game!

Metro Last Light Limited Edition - PlayStation 3
Metro Last Light Limited Edition - PlayStation 3
Price: CDN$ 34.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A vast improvement., Nov. 18 2013
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I had played the first Metro game (named Metro 2033) a few years ago. I liked the atmosphere and the setting the game offered (Post-apocalyptic world, people trying to survive in Moscow's metro system since the surface is infected by monsters, radiation, etc.), but the gameplay was clunky and I had trouble really enjoying the experience.

Last Light offered a significantly better experience than its predecessor. The gameplay is now very solid, the atmosphere is as heavy and unsettling as ever and the pacing is fantastic. 4A has done a great job mixing action set-pieces with others that require stealth and the regular visit through a human settlement to re-stock on ammo, weapon, and the joy of seeing (somewhat) friendly human faces. The 30 chapters are not equally divided, time-wise, some will last 4-5 minutes and you won't even have to take a weapon, and others might take you 40 minutes to sneak around various creatures. But you get the feeling Artyom's (the name of the protagonist) adventure never truly stops.

Two negative points I have to bring up. The first one might not be the game's fault, but I really had trouble with some parts of the game set in darkness. Obviously stealth plays a huge role in the game as you can sneak by basically every enemy in the game if you want to, but it's hard to be stealthy when you can't see a damn thing. I mean I know it's supposed to be dark so the enemies can't spot you, but until I got a gun with an IR scope, it wasn't easy to go around without using the lighter and risk being spotted. And I had the brightness settings of the game at very high. You eventually work around it, but it was a bit annoying.
Also, the story was a bit hard to follow. I usually love post-apocalyptic storylines, but while I knew what my objective was at all points in the game, I couldn't always understand (read : I understood about 70% of it) the big picture, and this takes away some of the fun. After all, it is a story-driven game.

It is still a very enjoyable game, which would probably rate closer to 4.5 stars if the rating system allowed it. It reminded me a bit of Singularity, but with a lot more stealth sections. I'd highly recommend it to basically every gamer, especially now since you can get it for around 30$.

Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition - PlayStation 3
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition - PlayStation 3
Offered by biddeal
Price: CDN$ 35.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 24.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game from 2008 PLUS 5 expansions? You get it., Dec 7 2010
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Fallout 3 was, for me, the best game that came out in 2008. I've played it for over 100 hours and I still feel I haven't done everything. When the GOTYe came out, I sold Fallout 3 (for 40$, no less) then ran off to the store to buy it.

To be fair, I haven't tried all 5 expansion sets, but since Fallout 3 was already an all-time great, adding content was sure to make a 5-star game an even better 5-star game, even if not all expansions are great (Mothership Zeta, for one, isn't very good), you still get a lot for the money you're paying. Obviously, if you had already bought any of the expansions (which I didn't), it would be a waste of money.

If you don't like Western RPGs or long, relatively slow games. Stay away from that one. But if you're looking for an amazing experience in the Capital Wasteland, by all means go and get it. And the game (not the GOTYe) is a greatest hit, which means you can get it for like 20 bucks.