Profile for A > Reviews

Content by A

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

A

Best Classical Album in the World
Best Classical Album in the World
Price: CDN$ 23.74
16 used & new from CDN$ 8.94

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this C.D. (if you are new to classical music)., Nov. 18 2002
I purchased this C.D. a few months ago as an intro to classical music.

By now, I have found out Who my favorite composers are (Tchaikovsky, Bach, Wagner,), and I own several classical C.D.'s. "The best Classical Album in the world..." is still the worst classical C.D. in my collection... "Period".
My main complaint Is the abundance of operas and other vocal styles. I am not at all into that type of music (yet).
In addition to this, I found the over all song selection dissapointing. With all of the amazing classical music out there, they could have done much better.
If you are new to classical music, Buy something else.

Once In A Livetime (2CD)
Once In A Livetime (2CD)
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 11.86
27 used & new from CDN$ 6.54

5.0 out of 5 stars THE GREATEST LIVE RECORDING IN HISTORY!, Sept. 25 2002
I have listend to this album at least 30 times, and am still blown away every time. Every song on this record is a masterpiece, and the musicians play flawlessly! In addition to this, the sound quality is PHENOMINAL! The songs sound better live than on the studio albums (all of which I own). Not many bands can accomplish that live.
The song "puppies on acid" is guarenteed to blow you away, especially when you hear the guitar/keyboard solo. It is one of the most complexed and original melodies I have ever heard.
As far as the negative reviews for this album go, those people are simply wrong. I thik that one reason for some of these reviews is that the writters have not given this album a real chance. To tell you the truth, I wasn't crazy about this album when I first listened to it for the fist time either. Dream Theater's music is the kind that gets better with each listen, and that's a good thing.
As far as my credibility as a reviewer goes, you can trust my ears because I am a musician myself. I play guitar, bass, and drums. If you too are a musician, you MUST buy this album. The members of dreamtheater are 5 of the greatest musicians that ever lived. They play things that you wouldn't think would be humanly possible. In addition to the fact that this is an ablum of virtuoso musicianship, The songs are also incredibly written, and no too sound alike.
You owe it to yourself to buy "once in a Livetime", I guarentee it will make you a Dream theater fan.

Apocalypse Now
Apocalypse Now
DVD ~ Martin Sheen
9 used & new from CDN$ 4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars the single greatest film of all time!, April 30 2002
This review is from: Apocalypse Now (DVD)
Before I had even finished watching Apocalypse Now for the first time, I new that I was having the greatest film watching experiance of my entire life. I would do almost anything to see the movie again for the first time.
I didn't mearly watch Apocalypse Now, I experianced it as if I was inside the world of the film. I have never felt so emmersed in a movie. I absolutely love everythig about the movie: the story, characters, music, cinematography, etc.
Apocalyse Now is surreal, and the haunting music has alot to do with that. When you finish it, you almost feel as though you had fallen alseep and had a nightmare . When I think back on the movie, I remember it as if it was one of my own dreams.
Eveybody who takes movies seriously must see this film. I can't say that everyone will fall in love with it as I have, but I don't see how anyone could not enjoy it. yes, it's 3 hours long... I wish it had been 6.
I can honestly say that I will never forget the experiance of sitting in my dark living room by myself, late at night, and experiancing Apocalypse Now for the first time. I hope eveyone will one day have a similar experiance.

Cabaret Balkan
Cabaret Balkan
VHS
3 used & new from CDN$ 22.87

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece!!!!!!, April 23 2002
This review is from: Cabaret Balkan (VHS Tape)
Cabaret Balkan is one of the best films I have ever seen. It is a combination of different stories which are usually not connected, but all take place at night time in the city of Belgrade in Serbia. It is very artistic and dark with some black humor.
This movies reminded me of: Short-cuts, Pulp Fiction, and Magnolia ; It is far superior to all of these films.
P.S. You may want to read Roger Eberts review also.

Savior (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Savior (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Dennis Quaid
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 227.37
8 used & new from CDN$ 39.61

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best war films ever made!, April 23 2002
Savior is the story of an American fighting for the Serbs in the bosnian war who risks everything to save a muslim baby.
This movie is incredibly well written, filmed, and acted, and was shot in the remarkably beautiful country of Montenegro.
Savior had no problem keeping me deeply interested throughout the entire film. I found it to be extremely depressing and disturbing, while hopefull at the same time. One scene in particular had me fighting back tears.
I have seen this movie about five times since I first dicovered it 3 years ago, and I am captivated each time.
I am not easily impressed by modern movies, but this one is a masterpice. You must see this fim!