Profile for Anonymous > Reviews

Content by Anonymous

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Anonymous (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Anderson;Kari Angles Lines and
Anderson;Kari Angles Lines and
Offered by Now Showing DVD's
Price: CDN$ 15.83
5 used & new from CDN$ 15.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely workout!, March 4 2007
Ce commentaire est de: Anderson;Kari Angles Lines and (DVD)
This Kari Anderson workout is, as usual, safe, flowing, enjoyable, and challenging. Her "Reach" workout is definitely harder, but on days when I can't summon the energy to do "Reach," I turn to this one. It is done primarily on the floor ("Reach" has a lot of standing work) and uses some similar exercises. It is a workout that is ballet and pilates inspired, and the emphasis is on flexibile and functional strength, lengthening, and toning. Kari is professional and pleasant, and the workout is definitely not easy (but not too hard, either). I'd say "Reach" is advanced and "Angles, Lines, and Curves 2" is intermediate. You'll feel long, tall, flexible, and strong after this workout.

10 Minute Solution Fast Blasting Dance Mix
10 Minute Solution Fast Blasting Dance Mix
DVD ~ Jennifer Galardi
Price: CDN$ 9.66
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great dance workout!, March 4 2007
I have the Quick Fix Hip Hop workout, which is okay but relatively unchallenging. This workout got me sweating and breathing much harder than Quick Fix. The choreography is a little more challenging, but if you have decent coordination and don't find moderate choreography too hard, it'll be fine. She repeats enough that you catch on to the trickier steps. It is not as slow paced as Quick Fix regarding learning the steps, so your heartrate is kept up more consistently. It is broken down into ten minute segments, obviously, and the first few are fantastic. The last few, that target certain things, like abs and lower body, aren't really aerobic, and aren't that useful unless you never do anything for your abs or lower body. So because I workout every day, I'll probably just use the first few segments for cardio and do other DVDs for abs and muscle strengthening. But if you don't do a lot of workout DVDs, you'll probably want to do the whole thing. There isn't a proper cool down or stretch. You cool down doing the slower segments at the end, and she does a few quick stretches, but you'll have to do your own thorough stretch (which is the case with all of these kinds of series that are done in segments for "quick" workouts). All in all, this is the best dance DVD I've found yet, and I've tried Quick Fix, Patrick Goudeau, Christi Taylor, and Gaiam. Oh, and there is a definite Hip Hop style about this DVD.

Saffell Janis Brand New Butt a
Saffell Janis Brand New Butt a
DVD ~ Janis Saffell
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 23.94
8 used & new from CDN$ 2.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could stand for improvement., March 4 2007
Ce commentaire est de: Saffell Janis Brand New Butt a (DVD)
Some reviewers on the .com site praised this DVD, and it is indeed a solid workout. Janis leads a full hour of toning work, which is really focused on the lower body. There are some upper body moves, but they are pretty lame and useless except for the pushup/plank stuff near the end. She does a lot of standing work at first and then goes to the floor. It is suggested that you use ankle weights, and I did--worked well. The problems are 1. that she does an okay warmup, but should maybe do more, especially for the upper body if she's going to ask you to use weights with your hands. The main problem here is that she does virtually no stretching, which is very important. I had to stop and do some stretches as my hamstrings tightened up almost immediately. 2. She is WAY too hard on the back--my back got very sore, and I have good posture, do back workouts with several other DVDs, and do yoga. Doing the Janis workout, my back got so fatigued I had to stop to rest--not a good idea to exhaust the back muscles. And I paid for it for a few days. I like muscle soreness, but not the back! 3. She pays some attention to instructing on proper technique, but not enough. She says to keep your legs straight for some things when you should keep your knees soft, and then she does keep her own knees soft, but you'd only figure it out if you already knew what she'd just said was wrong. While she does remind you about some things, she neglects others, and if you aren't a seasoned exerciser, you might not do things right and might even hurt yourself. 4. After an hour of serious muscle work, you'd think there'd be a big cool down and serious stretch, but she basically stretches a couple of muscles for a few seconds and that's it! This workout requires a significant stretch, and her neglect of this is unfortunate. OVERALL: this is a solid and useful workout for anybody who knows what they're doing and can correct Janis' weaknesses and omissions. I would not recommend this for beginners who need more thorough instruction.

Gaiam ~ Pilates bodyband challenge ~ DVD
Gaiam ~ Pilates bodyband challenge ~ DVD
DVD ~ Gaiam
Price: CDN$ 24.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 22.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Not strenuous, but okay., Jan. 26 2007
This is a half hour workout with twenty minute 'bonus'. It is Ana's 'challenge' workout (her highest level of difficulty). This workout is sadly a bit typical of many pilates workouts--some of the moves are challenging and you feel like your muscles are actually being used, but with only one or two (in a couple of cases) sets of reps, your muscles don't get tired out (an essential thing for conventional exercisers). For those pilates and yoga fans, this is probably ideal. But for those people (like me) who prefer to get tired out and feel like they've really exercised when they do a workout DVD, this will not do the job. However, I found some of the upper body moves challenging (and I couldn't have done more!), and there is one 'teaser' I just couldn't do. Not to mention the standing-to-push-up move that she then makes a one-legged push-up, which I didn't even try (and she even seemed to struggle with a bit)! So for those pilates fans, you'll probably find this a suitable challenge. One warning: it comes with a resistance band that STINKS!!!!!

Karen Voight: Burn & Firm
Karen Voight: Burn & Firm
Price: CDN$ 47.74
10 used & new from CDN$ 0.65

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent intermediate workout., Jan. 25 2007
Ce commentaire est de: Karen Voight: Burn & Firm (DVD)
I am a fit, very regular exerciser, and I count this among my favourite DVDs. I love Karen Voight, and as usual, she provides a well-planned, safe, and professional workout. It is circuit training, and has a thorough warm up, and then five minute aerobic sections with strengthening in between: one floor upper body; one standing upper body; and one lower body. You will need one set of weights. It includes a good abs section and a proper stretch, as do all of Karen's workouts. It is only 45 minutes, but the DVD provides you with an option for a 'single circuit' or a 'double circuit'--the latter of which plays the aerobic and strengthening segments in order twice in between the bookends of the warm up and the cool down, abs, and stretch. So you can do either version depending on time and energy.

Karen Voight: Total Body Training
Karen Voight: Total Body Training
Price: CDN$ 44.88
5 used & new from CDN$ 14.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Ring Workout!, Jan. 25 2007
As usual, Karen is a pleasant and professional instructor. This is a floor workout done almost entirely with a pilates ring. It focusses especially on the hard-to work inner thighs, legs generally, and core strengthening. Some push ups and plank positions provide the only upper body work. It is a fifty minute workout that will work your abs/core and lower body thoroughly . . . and your thighs like never before! One of my favourite Voights--and I have most of her DVDs!

Stott Pilates Ultimate Balance: Stability Ball Pilates
Stott Pilates Ultimate Balance: Stability Ball Pilates
Price: CDN$ 64.50
5 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A challenging but not tiring workout., Jan. 15 2007
I am a regular exerciser and healthy, and came to this DVD not having done the lower levels. This is Stott's most difficult ball workout, and I found it challenging (a couple of things I couldn't master on the first go). However, you only do any one exercise for one set, so even though the workout is good, the fact that I didn't feel really worked out and my muscles never got tired (since there was no repetition) made me feel like it wasn't worth a whole lot. Perhaps this is the point of Stott: to just do it so often that your muscles strengthen. But I prefer something that makes me feel like I've really given my body a workout. So I haven't even gone back to this DVD again. I tend to return again and again to Keli Robert's Quick Fix Stability Ball Workout. However, if you are a fan of Stott, I'm sure you'll adore this one. If you want something that you'll feel immediately in your body, this probably isn't the best choice.

Jane Fonda's Complete Workout and Stress Reduction Program
Jane Fonda's Complete Workout and Stress Reduction Program
DVD ~ Jane Fonda
Offered by Region 1 DVDs
Price: CDN$ 199.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic., Jan. 4 2007
I have never done the 'stress reduction' program, but I do the Complete Workout all the time. It is about an hour and fifteen minutes in all (she suggests breaking it into two classes--weights and aerobics; aerobics and lower body) and I do it all as one workout. You begin with a warm up and upper body weights; then a half hour of aerobics (low and high impact options); then lower body; then abs and stretch. The upper body requires two sets of weights as well as a chair; the lower body requires a mat and ankle weights, though you can certainly do everything without the ankle weights (I didn't use them for a while and still found the exercises beneficial). Considering its age, it's not very innovative or stylish (the members of the class wear leotards, including purple leopard print!), but it's enjoyable, safe, and it really gets your heartrate up. This is the best of Jane Fonda's workouts and is one of the DVDs I always use (along with Karen Voight, Kari Anderson, and a few others). Old and young, new and already-fit exercisers will benefit from this DVD.

Addition: my mother, who has heart issues, uses the relaxation workout and it's the only thing that calms her (and her heart) down.

Denise Austin:Shrink Your Fema [Import]
Denise Austin:Shrink Your Fema [Import]
DVD ~ Denise Austin
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 9.52
20 used & new from CDN$ 8.18

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Annoying, Nov. 3 2006
I'd give this product no stars if I could! I couldn't even do this workout because I found Denise Austin unbearable. She is a major cheerleader and never stops talking . . . or 'cooing,' I should say. I tried to do this a few times, but each time I found her too irritating to continue. What I did do, I didn't like very much. For example, one of the first moves she does is to stand straight and then stretch to the sides--very uncomfortable without being able to separate and bend your legs, and very uncomfortable when your muscles are cold. Skipping through the DVD, I didn't see anything that looked very innovative. So find an instructor you like and avoid Denise!

Ultimate Step Circuit
Ultimate Step Circuit
Offered by BuyCDNow Canada
Price: CDN$ 27.89
9 used & new from CDN$ 19.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Step Workout, Nov. 3 2006
Ce commentaire est de: Ultimate Step Circuit (DVD)
After doing step for about a decade, I found this one, and was surprised to find it challenged me quite a lot. Karen's choreography and combination of strength and cardio moves meant that I got a much better workout than I had been getting for ten years! After starting her workout, I found my muscle mass increased significantly, I felt fitter and stronger, and my abs/core strengthened a lot. It is by far the best step workout I have ever used, and I have used dozens! The ab section on this DVD is the most difficult I have EVER come across! I have had to stop stepping because of consequent knee problems, but I use many of Karen's other workouts and love them. I'd especially recommend her Half & Half (cardio & weights); Burn & Firm (circuit training); Total Body Training (pilates floor routine with pilates ring); AM/PM Fitness (also in Strong & Streamlined double DVD); Core Plus More (also in Yoga & Sculpting double DVD). These are her very best!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3