Gift Certificates Frequently Asked Questions
Buying a Gift Certificate:
Using Your Gift certificate (Gift Certificate):
What is an Amazon gift certificate?
Amazon.ca gift certificates can be used to buy almost any item sold on Amazon.ca. You can buy gift certificates for any amount between $5.00 and $5,000.00 and print your gift certificates from home or send them by e-mail. If you've received a gift certificate and enter the claim code on an order or in Your Account at Amazon.ca, we'll keep the balance in Your Account for use on future purchases.
Can I choose my gift certificate design?
Certainly. When you place an order from our gift certificates page, we'll present you with a selection of available designs. During the purchase process, you can choose the occasion and design. When you find one you like, click the "Select" button and resume placing your order.
How do I order a gift certificate?
Amazon.ca offers you multiple ordering options and gift certificate types so you can choose the one that's best for you.
Ordering Customized Gift certificates
- Visit our Gift Certificates page.
- Click the Buy now button for the type of gift certificate you want to purchase (e-mail or print at home).
- Choose a design and enter the desired gift certificate amount, a personalized message, and delivery information if requested.
- Click the Add to order button. The gift certificate will be added to the "Gift certificate Order" box at the top right of the gift certificate ordering page. (You might need to scroll up or to the right to see it, depending on your screen size.) Note: The gift certificate is not added to your normal Amazon shopping cart.
- If you'd like to order another gift certificate before checking out, complete the order form again and click the Add to order button. When you're finished adding gift certificates to your order, click the Proceed to Checkout button in the Gift Certificate Order box, at the top right-hand side of the gift certificate ordering page.
- Sign in with your Amazon.ca account e-mail address and password.
- Provide payment information for your purchase and click the Continue button.
Note about payment method selected: Remember the payment method you used for your order. If you need to print a "Print at home" gift certificate or resend an e-mail gift certificate, you'll be asked to verify the payment method used for the original purchase.
- Review your order and click the Place your order button to complete your purchase.
You can order up to 400 gift certificates at a time. To learn more about ordering in bulk, see Ordering Multiple Gift Certificates
When will the gift certificate arrive?
- E-mail gift certificates: These generally arrive within 15 minutes of being ordered if you choose "Now" as the delivery date. (Keep in mind that, on rare occasions, the process can take up to 24 hours if a manual review is required, as sometimes happens when customers use a new credit card.) If you wish, you can also specify a delivery date up to 1 year in advance of the purchase date. Note: You'll be charged 1-2 days before your e-mail gift certificate is delivered if you schedule a future delivery date. We'll send you an e-mail reminder when the delivery date nears.
- Print at Home gift certificates: Shortly after we process your Amazon.ca gift certificate order, we will send you an email with a link to your printable gift certificate. You can also print your gift certificate for the order summary in Your Account. Look at the order summary page and click on the Print gift certificate(s) button (you'll need to verify the credit card you used for the purchase). Printable gift certificates are usually available to print within 15 minutes of order.
How do I print a gift certificate at home?
When you choose the "Print at home" option for your Amazon.ca gift certificate at www.amazon.ca/gc, we create a PDF gift certificate specific to your order that you can access from our confirmation e-mail or the Order Summary in Your Account. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to open and print PDF files.
Here's where you can access and print your gift certificate when it is ready:
- Gift Certificate Ready e-mail: When your gift certificate is available for printing, we'll send you an e-mail to let you know it is ready. The e-mail contains a URL that goes directly to the gift certificate PDF file for printing. Click on the link provided or copy and paste it into the address bar of your Web browser to print your gift certificate.
- Your Account: You can navigate to the Order Summary by visiting Your Account at www.amazon.ca/youraccount, clicking the GO button next to "Open and recently shipped orders," and clicking on the View order button on the gift certificate order. On the gift certificate Order Summary, click the Print gift certificate(s) button. If the button isn't available, your gift certificate is still processing. If you wait a few minutes and refresh the page, the button should appear. When printing from Your Account, you'll be asked to verify the credit card number used for the original purchase.
Payment Verification and Reprinting Gift Certificates
When you are asked to verify the payment method used for the printable gift certificate, the card number must exactly match the information you entered at the time of purchase. You can print your gift certificate as many times as needed until the code is redeemed to an Amazon.ca account, but the code it contains can only be redeemed once. When the gift certificate has been redeemed to an Amazon.ca account, the Print gift certificate(s) button will no longer be available in the Order Summary.
How do I manage the delivery date for e-mail gift certificates?
The delivery date is displayed at the top of the Order Summary. If the delivery date is incorrect, you'll need to cancel the gift certificate order and place a new order.
To view or cancel the scheduled delivery for an e-mail gift certificate:
- Visit Your Account (http://www.amazon.ca/your-account).
- Sign in using the e-mail address and password associated with your Amazon.ca account.
- Click "Manage Scheduled E-Mail Gift Certificates" in the Payment section.
- Click the View or Cancel Order button.
To complete cancellation of a scheduled e-mail gift certificate, click the Need to cancel this order? button and then click the Cancel order button on the next page.
Can I send an e-card with an e-mail gift certificate?
Amazon.ca does not offer e-cards, but you can order e-mailed or print-at-home gift certificates through the Amazon.ca website.
What do Amazon gift certificates look like?
You can see samples of e-mail and print at home gift certificates on our gift certificates detail page.
Can I order a large number of gift certificates at once?
Sure! See our Help pages titled Ordering Multiple Gift Certificates and Corporate Gift Certificates for more information.
Help! My gift certificate order didn't arrive.
If you purchased a gift certificate that was sent via e-mail and it doesn't arrive, you can follow the instructions below for resending your gift certificate. Some e-mail providers give users the option of blocking all e-mail messages that originate outside of their domain. You may want to check with your recipient first to make sure their e-mail is configured to accept e-mails from Amazon.ca.
To reissue a gift certificate you purchased:
- Visit the gift certificate Order Summary in Your Account (http://www.amazon.ca/your-account).
- Sign in using the e-mail address and password associated with your Amazon.ca account.
- Click "Resend it!" on the Order Summary.
- Review the information regarding the gift certificate to be reissued, and follow the instructions on the page.
We'll contact you by e-mail once we have canceled the original gift certificate and issued a new one. Note:
If you do not see a Resend
button, please contact us.
How do I use my gift certificate?
First, locate your claim code on the e-mail gift certificate you received. If you're not ready to make a purchase: You can redeem the gift certificate to your account.
- Go to Your Account.
- Click "Apply a gift certificate to your account".
- Sign in with your e-mail address and password.
- Enter your claim code and click "Redeem now". Your funds will automatically be applied to your next order.
If you're placing an order through the Shopping Cart: Enter the code on the order form and click "Apply":
If you're placing an order with 1-Click: Click the "Review or edit your 1-Click orders" link that you'll see after clicking the Buy now with 1-Click button:
Then, enter the code in the Payment section on the next page:
I accidentally deleted my gift certificate; can you send me another one?
Please contact us with the following information:
- order number (if possible)
- giver's name and recipient's name
- e-mail address to which the gift certificate was sent
We'll contact you by e-mail once we have canceled the original gift certificate and issued a new one.
I'm having trouble using my gift certificate to place an order. What am I doing wrong?
Are you receiving an error message that says the gift certificate has already been redeemed? Once you've entered the claim code on our site, we'll keep the balance in your account for use on future purchases, and you don't need to enter the claim code again.
To confirm that the funds are already on your account, check your current gift certificate balance and usage history through Your Account. If the funds don't show up there, you might have more than one Amazon.ca account; please contact us.
If this isn't the problem, check the Fine Print to make sure your order meets the rules and restrictions for paying with a gift certificate.
What happens to the rest of my gift certificate if I don't use it all at once?
You can find your current gift card balance and usage history in Your Account.
Once you've entered the claim code on our site, we'll keep the balance in your account for use on future purchases, so you don't need to enter the claim code again when you place your next order. Please be aware that the original expiration date applies to any unused funds.
When you place your next order, make sure the box on the order form is checked that says "Apply gift certificate or promo funds?" If your order total is more than your gift certificate funds, you'll need to pay for the rest with a credit card.
You should see the gift certificate funds reflected in the cost summary. If the funds don't show up there and your gift certificate hasn't expired, you might have more than one Amazon.ca account; please contact us.
What are the restrictions for using an Amazon.ca gift certificate?
Please read our Fine Print for a full list of rules and restrictions.