This was not the second chess book I purchased, but it should have been. Instead, I bought books on openings and strategy - a big mistake.
I think chess books come in three varieties.
1. Introductory overviews (how the pieces move, notation, etc.)
2. Annotated games
3. Specialized topics (strategy, tactics, openings, middlegame, etc.)
A good annotated game book connects the dots. It shows how all of the specialized topics work together in real games. By explaining every move, Chernev shows the beginner how to:
1. Control the center in the opening
2. Develop pieces with purpose
3. Use your pieces together to gain material
4. How to finish the… Read more