biss boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

on April 5, 2014
This was a very interesting book. I did not realize that the conditions such as these existed in Britain existed so recently. The Cockneys were an interesting Demi culture.
on March 14, 2015
I really, really enjoyed reading this book. It is a charming little book compiled of a series of Worth's tales from London's Post war East End community. It makes you appreciate the work these ladies put into the community and it's woman. I loved how this book could make you smile with the tales of friendship and new life, yet would break your heart at tragic loss. But one of the most powerful theme I found in this book was a mother's will to do anything and everything to care for her children in even the most desperate of circumstances.
The nuns and midwives of Nonnatus house work with compassion and skill to serve their community to help the mum's of London's slum to care for these infants and bring the new little ones into the world.
This is a book that I would without a doubt recommend

on August 19, 2013
which, as good as it is, can't begin to contextualize the stories the way a book does. This surprisingly well-written memoir really presents and in depth view of Docklands culture in the fifties and puts it in a historical context. You learn about huge families living in two room s in buildings that were condemned ten years earlier, about the tragedy of workhouses, runaways, and the irrepressible good humor of the cockneys in the face of life the way it was. Also very interesting is the history of midwifery and prenatal care. The characters at Nunnatus House and beyond are also very nuanced and three dimensional. Perhaps the greatest surprise is the spiritual awakening of young Jenny as she lives with and observes the nuns and their vocation. I am looking forward to the next installment.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2013
I was a medical student at the London Hospital at or aroundvthebtime this book was written. We never questioned where the midwives came from,monkey glad that they mostly arrived on time or as we advanced by a week or so, a little later. This gave us a chance to handle more of the process and of course drink another cup of tea.m I too was struck by the courage, generosity and warmth of these people and felt that the midwives had enriched my life even though I would never be an obstetrician or even a surgeon. These experiences gave us the confidence to move forward, practice our skills.
The book was excellent and paints a picture I recall myself. Always at night,ball ways when we were most deeply asleep. Hurrah for this delightful historical snapshot.
Peter.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2014
I am in love with this book. Fun to read, humorous, fascinating, full of history of London, medicine and nursing.I have worked in maternity in hospitals in the past and now I work as a home care nurse, the equivalent of district nurses, we dont do home births but visit homes for wound care and palliative care some of which are in very similar conditions nurse Lee describes. I watched the TV series and really enjoyed it but the book brought to life the situations and the characters and filled in the story much better than the show did. I think the casting of the show was perfect though. You dont have to be a nurse to enjoy this book.
on March 14, 2014
i first saw this on public tv and enjoyed it . Really wanted to read the books and was NOT disappointed!
on January 3, 2014
It was a wonderful book with a great story line, could not put it down. Can't wait to read the rest.
on June 21, 2013
This is a remarkable book (and series). It puts us "inside" a young woman's journey through suffering and poverty to hope and faith. The books and the television series are refreshingly different form the usual narratives. They are shockingly inspirational. Mary Jo Leddy
on May 1, 2013
This is the third book in the trilogy. I had read the first and second book and also watched the show on TV. I enjoyed this book as much as the first two and am going to send them on to a friend.
on April 26, 2013
I usually try to read the book or books before I see it at the movies or on television but in this case I saw the television series first. In a way in this case it probably was best I saw the tv version first as I can put a face and a voice to the characters in the book. I just started reading the book a couple of days ago and it's so interesting and at times funny that I just cannot put it down. The author really has done an amazing job on this book. You feel like you are living in the east end of London in the 1950's. What I really thought was a great addition in the book is how in the appendix it explains some of the medical terms used throughout the book. It also explains some of the cockney terms which was great as many terms were unfamiliar to me. I'm so glad that I purchased all 3 books as I know they are going to be a great read. There are so many things I could say about how awesome this book is but I think you should just go ahead and read it. You will love it. As per usually it was super fast shipping and great value from Amazon.