march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Family

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 10, 2013
For myself at least. I haven't been reading this series as long as some, but it's been part of my life for more than 10 years, and while it clearly would have been better if written by RJ himself, I feel that Sanderson handled all three books--and this one in particularly--capably, and even improved some elements (such as pacing).

There are some loose ends I would have liked to have seen wrapped up, but that would have necessitated at least another book, and I'm happy with the finished product, very happy. I'm woman enough to admit I cried many, many times, and felt emotionally gutted at the deaths of characters I don't even like, because the story just draws me in so totally.

I was particularly happy to *finally* get into Logain's head--yes we finally get POV from Logain!--and watch him find his way to the glory and power Min foresaw. He's hands down my favorite character (well, ok tied with Verin), and I feel satisfied with the way his thread was woven in the the pattern.

It could have been better, sure, and some of the situations seemed a bit forced perhaps, but tying up such a massive series as this would have been difficult enough for RJ. For a man stepping into RJ's shoes, I think Sanderson did a great job, and I thank both men, and everyone else involved over the years in the creation of this series, because it has brought so much joy to my life, and inspires me to follow my dreams of writing and creating works others can enjoy too.
on February 1, 2016
Great ending to a fantastic series. Everything wrapped up perfectly. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys this genre of novels.
on March 2, 2014
I started reading the Wheel of Time back in 1990, and gave up a couple of times along the way. Once I finally knew the last volume would be published, however, I re-read the earlier books and followed through to the end.

This final book is intense. Much as some of the books later in the series were justly criticized for the lack of events and little plot progress, A Memory of Light makes up for it with non-stop action throughout. The book essentially describes the "Last Battle" by alternating between various viewpoints at a rapid pace. Another criticism of the series has been that major characters all seem to survive no matter what they go through, but again this book makes up for it by killing off a lot of significant characters, some of which surprised me.

This isn't a perfect novel by any means. In particular there are a few characters (such as Mat) that don't come across the same in the books Brandon Sanderson finished off as in the earlier novels. A couple of events that were heavily foreshadowed also ended up a bit disappointing. However, overall it is a fitting end to the series and I pretty much couldn't put the book down over the last couple hundred pages except when I had to go for a walk to let out some tension; whatever else its faults the book really captured my attention. The series as a whole remains a remarkable achievement that paved the way for many of the new generation of fantasy authors.
on September 17, 2013
A Memory of Light is non-stop action. This book is the big finally fans of the series look forward to from the start, and as others have said, it is satisfying. War is upon the land, and only the combined forces of the light can put a stop to it. Many of the characters are up against their greatest challenges and must summon all the wit and strength they possess to fight. There can be no missteps.

As far as flaws are concerned, there are few. Some sections don't get as fleshed out as you want them to be, and you figure an extra 100 pages would've been good, but the authors made their choices.

After 20 years of living in the Wheel of Time world, it has been a privilege to follow these characters through their adventures. A masterfully crafted story, and one of my favourites.
on January 10, 2013
Now let me start this review by making something very clear. To a large majority of us readers, this is not just a book. This is the an end to a series that we have been reading for a large portion of our lives. I've known these characters for well over a decade, and I have been waiting a long time for this book.

So yes, of course I may be a tad bit bias.

But this book was what I wanted.

The confrontation between Egwene and Rand at Merrilor was satisfying, and it led directly into the Last Battle. And after 13 bloody books getting ready for the Last Battle, it was properly climatic. The Shadow finally seems semi-competent as they pull off some effective plans. There are also some deaths of characters who were not solely created to die.

Were there downsides? Of course. Some of the scenes pandered a bit too much for fans. But who cares. If you have read this behemoth of a series to this point you probably won't care. You'll just be caught up in the ride of reading all the scenes we have been promised for a life time.

And then it ends.

You mull it over for a second.

And you are satisfied with the ending.
on February 24, 2013
The story line didn't disappoint. It was a still an amazing story. There was some disconnected/almost repeating thoughts in some of the chapters. This happened several times. Mainly because two author was penning the story. This made me feel that more work could have been put into the book.
All it all, it was a pleasure to read, but has an anti climatic ending though.
on July 16, 2015
Great ending to a great series of books
on February 3, 2016
Great book and it arrived really fast!
on February 8, 2013
It finally brought the series to a close. The last few pages were surprising, The first few books were crisp but the middle books 6-8 in the series were somewhat superfluous and certainly could've been edited down.
on November 12, 2015
Needed two to keep family happy