summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle sports Tools Family

I didn't know about Scott Jurek until I read this book. His honesty is truly refreshing. His stoy is not embellished, he wrote about the good the bad ugly, from growing up to his adulthood and finding his passion for running.
I'm really not good at writing reviews. Just do yourselves a favor and buy this book. You will not regret.
on July 18, 2012
I was very much looking forward to the release of this book, but somewhat apprehensive: I was hoping it wouldn't be preachy on the subject of veganism, or full of ego, or about sudden, life-changing transformations... As a (non-ultra) trail runner, I wanted to satiate my fascination about elite trail runners without ruining my image of Scott Jurek as someone who seems to balance kindness and competiveness. I needn't have worried. The book blew me away and only reinforced my positive image. It's a story of life-long transformation, about how little pieces fall into place over the years like clues to a bigger puzzle. He even says in the prologue "I was common as grass, longing for something I couldnt even name" and "The story of my life is going to sound very familiar. Not in the details but in the desire." So very true. I could relate personally in some small way to almost every aspect of his journey, despite the vastly different details between the life of an uber-athlete and that of a jane-doe-midlife-crisis-athlete. It is also about Jurek's extreme dedication to both mental and corporeal training and research, and his enormous desire to win, yet he maintains an air of honest humility throughout. The presentation of chapters is chronological, virtually all defined by the recounting of a specific key race, but there is enough non-linear story-telling and introspection woven within each chapter to make it fun to read. The photos are well-chosen, the recipes sound delicious, the opening-chapter quotes are spot-on, effort goes into mentioning all the books that have influenced him, and the references notes at the end provide the sources for stories he tells about other people and any cited studies or facts. A bit more care could have gone into the editing, and I found the sudden jump from the last line of a chapter into a recipe quite jarring. I think it could have been better separated by a more distinct visual presentation between the two. But these details don't detract from a satisfying reading experience. Highly recommended for any runner of any distance!
on July 12, 2012
Scott Jurek was open and honest about his motivations, his life, his dreams ... and his recipes. I loved getting into this man's mind. What a fascinating person. At the end of each chapter, he has advice, tips and vegan recipes. I have tried 2 of his recipes - the strawberry pancakes and the lentil-mushroom burgers - both were a HUGE hit in my house. (I have 2 young kids, so this was amazing). I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know about the foundations of ultra marathons and trail running. This guy is the real deal. Oh, and if you're an athlete who's considering trying out a vegan diet - Scott is a huge inspiration for that as well. The man won several 100 Mile races on a vegan diet!!!
'
on December 25, 2013
I picked up this book after reading Christopher McDougall's Born to Run and Rich Roll's Finding Ultra. Scott Jurek recounts some of his childhood experiences and relationships that helped forge his love of running. His stories about a variety of his races, the challenges he faced and overcame, the challenges he couldn't best, are valuable if you want to get inside the head of someone who has dedicated a good deal of his time and resources to pursuing a career as an ultramarathonist. The book's shortcomings lie in the constant repetition of his pearls of wisdom, which are mostly one or two ideas repeated continuously throughout the book. A book half as long would have been better, but it's still worth a read.
on January 9, 2013
It was a gift and he loved the book. It was very inspirational for anyone who wants to use food and exercise to improve endurance.
on August 24, 2012
It was interesting to read about Scott Jurek from his own words. In Born to Run, they portray him as a much more humble person. In his own book he is admittedly very competitive.

It was still a very good book and has consolidated a lot of the information in Born to Run and has continued to inspire me in my long distance running; especially as a vegan runner myself.
on February 4, 2016
I loved the book, couldn't put it down. It was recommended by a friend because I run and eat a plant based diet, although I had never heard of the author. This book is very encouraging on both topics of running and eating a plant based diet. It includes races he won and races he didn't and I loved hearing about both.
on October 29, 2012
This is the kind of book I'm always on the search for. Once I started reading it I didn't want to put it down and couldn't waite to pick it back up. If your into working out or running, nutrition and have an appreciation for determination and dicipline you'll love this book!
on January 23, 2013
Very nice and inspiring story. Well written and simple reading.
He opens each chapter with a quote which gets you thinking about
your journey and of the story he is going to tell.
I've also like he ends each chapter with a recipe.
on June 12, 2012
Scott Jurek's guiding ethic, and the title for my review, was very likely given to him by his father, at a very young age. His early life was marked by a kind of adversity that likely prepared him well for the extreme endurance events he would later conquer. And in this book he pulls no punches, coming across as being wide open and honest about it.

I briefly met Scott Jurek at the Seattle Running Company in the summer of 2004. A year earlier, he'd been profiled in a well known running magazine, after winning the Western States 100 mile trail race four consecutive years in a row. And following his transition to a completely plant-based diet.

I remember looking at his finishing times that were posted in the article, and he just kept getting faster and stronger with every passing year. So in the middle of September, of 2003, and at age 45, I decided I needed to pay more attention to what I was eating.

Eat and Run gives some interesting insights into a relatively small group of endurance athletes who feel somehow compelled to run extremely long distances. Often over very arduous terrain, and through very inhospitable temperature conditions. Scott includes recipes and training tips at the end of each chapter.

For another kindred spirit who liked to test his physical and mental limits while eating only plants, read [[ASIN:0307952193 Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself],]

The parallels between Scott Jurek's and Rich Roll's lives are striking.