biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

I didn't know about Scott Jurek until I read this book. His honesty is truly refreshing. His stoy is not embellished, he wrote about the good the bad ugly, from growing up to his adulthood and finding his passion for running.
I'm really not good at writing reviews. Just do yourselves a favor and buy this book. You will not regret.
on July 18, 2012
I was very much looking forward to the release of this book, but somewhat apprehensive: I was hoping it wouldn't be preachy on the subject of veganism, or full of ego, or about sudden, life-changing transformations... As a (non-ultra) trail runner, I wanted to satiate my fascination about elite trail runners without ruining my image of Scott Jurek as someone who seems to balance kindness and competiveness. I needn't have worried. The book blew me away and only reinforced my positive image. It's a story of life-long transformation, about how little pieces fall into place over the years like clues to a bigger puzzle. He even says in the prologue "I was common as grass, longing for something I couldnt even name" and "The story of my life is going to sound very familiar. Not in the details but in the desire." So very true. I could relate personally in some small way to almost every aspect of his journey, despite the vastly different details between the life of an uber-athlete and that of a jane-doe-midlife-crisis-athlete. It is also about Jurek's extreme dedication to both mental and corporeal training and research, and his enormous desire to win, yet he maintains an air of honest humility throughout. The presentation of chapters is chronological, virtually all defined by the recounting of a specific key race, but there is enough non-linear story-telling and introspection woven within each chapter to make it fun to read. The photos are well-chosen, the recipes sound delicious, the opening-chapter quotes are spot-on, effort goes into mentioning all the books that have influenced him, and the references notes at the end provide the sources for stories he tells about other people and any cited studies or facts. A bit more care could have gone into the editing, and I found the sudden jump from the last line of a chapter into a recipe quite jarring. I think it could have been better separated by a more distinct visual presentation between the two. But these details don't detract from a satisfying reading experience. Highly recommended for any runner of any distance!
on July 12, 2012
Scott Jurek was open and honest about his motivations, his life, his dreams ... and his recipes. I loved getting into this man's mind. What a fascinating person. At the end of each chapter, he has advice, tips and vegan recipes. I have tried 2 of his recipes - the strawberry pancakes and the lentil-mushroom burgers - both were a HUGE hit in my house. (I have 2 young kids, so this was amazing). I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know about the foundations of ultra marathons and trail running. This guy is the real deal. Oh, and if you're an athlete who's considering trying out a vegan diet - Scott is a huge inspiration for that as well. The man won several 100 Mile races on a vegan diet!!!
'
on December 25, 2013
I picked up this book after reading Christopher McDougall's Born to Run and Rich Roll's Finding Ultra. Scott Jurek recounts some of his childhood experiences and relationships that helped forge his love of running. His stories about a variety of his races, the challenges he faced and overcame, the challenges he couldn't best, are valuable if you want to get inside the head of someone who has dedicated a good deal of his time and resources to pursuing a career as an ultramarathonist. The book's shortcomings lie in the constant repetition of his pearls of wisdom, which are mostly one or two ideas repeated continuously throughout the book. A book half as long would have been better, but it's still worth a read.
on January 9, 2013
It was a gift and he loved the book. It was very inspirational for anyone who wants to use food and exercise to improve endurance.
on September 3, 2015
Lecture facile qui revigore mais on sent parfois que l'auteur ne dit pas tout et qu'il n'a pas nécessairement trouvé toutes ses réponses et chassés tout ses démons.

La dernière partie, alors que Jurek vit de nombreux revers et se remet en question est la plus intrigante mais elle n'est pas suffisamment approfondie selon moi.

Très inspirant comme histoire pour tout ceux qui ont choisit la Course.
on February 4, 2016
I loved the book, couldn't put it down. It was recommended by a friend because I run and eat a plant based diet, although I had never heard of the author. This book is very encouraging on both topics of running and eating a plant based diet. It includes races he won and races he didn't and I loved hearing about both.
on July 14, 2014
Belle histoire, bonnes recettes
on June 2, 2014
Loved it! A great combination of inspiration, fact & story telling.
Recommend to anyone with an interest in vegan/vegitarianism, running, fitness or ultra-distance sport.
on January 10, 2014
If you want an inspiring book to help you keeping your new year resolutions, read this book! Scott Jurek is an incredible athlete and a great human being. This book is a most for every runner and person who wants to achieve the impossible.