boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Auto Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: DVDChange

on September 23, 2012
I feel like I'd been focussing so much of my fitness to the bigger muscles using Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper, which I will and always will as these gurus are excellent. I'm used to heavier weights with more intense workouts, so Tracy Anderson's method is so new to me.

I did her DVD for the first time and I'm in so much pain, especially in my abs, shoulders, upper back and strange areas in my legs! She has you doing big moves to micro moves, all of which hurt after the 4th repetition. It's amazing how using your own body weight can be so intense. I love this workout and I look forward to doing this DVD more and trying out her program.
on July 18, 2013
I was excited to try Anderson's Method. This DVD really does not deliver though, on several grounds, and I can't help but share my huge disappointment here.

1) There are no explanations whatsoever offered to explain postures, changes of motions, etc. And I really mean NO explanations. There are LONG segments where you can only hear the (already noted by other reviewers as bad!)music. I'm used to train to DVDs, so it did not prevent me from doing most of the moves, but for others, I found myself unsure as to what the proper position should be. This becomes especially ridiculous in the "standing abs" section: she literally goes on for 5 minutes without a word, after saying simply "follow me!". I don't need to be taken by the hand, but a minimum is required,if only for safety purposes (especially for the lower back).

2) Clearly this DVD is not designed for people who are new to training. I knew this, which is why I bought it in the first place. Don't buy it if you want to be in shape or learn how to train; this is more about "fine tuning" your physique. But assuming you know about training (which I do), you expect a bit more explanations regarding the moves you are actually doing. Saying "This trains small muscles" is not enough. Which ones, and why, and to what end is what you expect to be told, since she assumes you are already good enough to dispense with basic move explanations. So without either basic explanations for beginners or more technical ones for more advanced users, the DVD ends up looking quite amateurish for someone who is supposed to be a professional.

3) Without explanations about the moves you are doing, you end up having to look at the screen most of the time. And this means you are struck by the lack of charisma Anderson exudes. She does not look natural in the DVD, and often simply looks bored. The moves are repetitive, and I understand that this is part of the method, but doing them without talking, smiling or anything makes it even worst. She simply looks like she doesn't want to be there, pure and simple, which I found very odd and off putting. The concern seems to have been more on trying to make her look sultry (!) than anything else - to the point where it made my boyfriend laugh, as he saw the video with changing camera moves done to that end. Such camera changes do not help you see the postures right at times too, by the way.

4) In the end, you could put all of this aside and simply say "well, as long as it delivers, it's good". But here again, the DVD didn't live up to my expectations. The arms segment is the only one that did it for me. The moves made me work hard, and I felt and saw results. But the legs segment was not as efficient (a bit sore, yes, but other workouts I had tried before had been more challenging), and the abs segment was too limited.

I should have looked at reviews before buying this product, as I can see now that most people appear to be disappointed as well. Tracy Anderson is well known, and she has an empire, so I think it is reasonable to expect good quality products. This looks amateurish, and put together in a hurry: you even have fade outs between segments, rather than a continuing 60 minutes workout! It was a huge disappointment to me. I do not recommend this product, and I think other DVDs focused on dance moves or pilates, perhaps, might be more useful, safe, and lead to similar - if not better - results.
on May 6, 2013
Hi, I did not expect this video to make me tired, you better believe it, it's goood. I have done Jillian's videos and I thought she was tough. You have to try this one, I love it...
on March 29, 2014
I did this workout for 4 weeks last summer when I was looking for some exercise I could do in the heat without passing out (no air conditioning in my place). I'm very physically fit to begin with, my routine for years has been a combination of exercise bike, weight lifting and Jillian Michaels. This dvd is really not a challenge and is definitely not worth bothering with.

There is no instruction from Ms. Anderson regarding correct form or technique. This is a serious problem. Adding to her lack of communication is the fact that the workout is shot from one angle making is almost impossible at times to see what she's actually doing because of how/where she's standing. The arm workout is a waste of time. The standing ab portion is absurd. The standing leg workout eventually led me to quit due to the back problems it gave me. It's incredibly tedious and after a few days I muted it (might as well, like I mentioned before, she says almost nothing) and just played my own music.

There's really nothing new about her "Method". The various leg lifts, etc. she does are as old as the hills. She's said a lot of ridiculous things in the media and visually she's a bit disturbing to look at (think Kira from The Dark Crystal in workout gear) and the fact that Gwyneth Paltrow is a believer is more worrying than convincing. Why would anyone follow the diet and exercise routine of a woman who's basically admitted she's given herself osteoporosis before the age of 40?

I've since discovered Mary Helen Bowers, Ballet Beautiful, which I do recommend. It's basically the same sort of light exercise only it's a real back saver as they're not done standing (and she actually speaks and gives instruction, how novel ! )
on April 19, 2013
This is an awesome workout :)
After awhile though u will want to mute and make your own play list!
on September 23, 2013
I wasn't trilled with this video. The workout was actually good but there was way too little verbal instruction forcing you to try and watch the video constantly while you did the workout ... which is quite difficult to do at times.
on August 20, 2013
This workout is a great toning workout. I was able to complete the workout with old injuries from a car accident and a fork truck accident. The next day my arms and glutes were sore. What I liked about this workout was that Tracey doesn't talk and talk over the music. It is easy to see what she is doing without having all the talking. I would recommend to have a mirror near by so that your able to see if your form is correct to prevent injury. I liked this video so much that I complete the exercises everyday as part of my weight loss program. I also bought the dance cardio for beginners and can't wait for it to arrive to try it.
on July 29, 2013
Tracey Anderson has set up the perfect mat exercise for anyone that sits at a desk all day long. She targets the glutes in various ways that help loosen up tight hips from sitting while building muscle and tone. Her mat workout includes a good warm up and arm toning exercises as well. I have been an avid workout buff all my life but you don't need to be to do any of this. It's very easy and has a nice groove to it. This video and taking Tracy's advice to do this workout everyday helped cure a hip/back problem for me. I love Tracy Anderson for that. Thanks, Tracy!
on June 30, 2013
Not crazy about Tracy Anderson's style of instruction but despite this and the fact I exercise on a regular basis - I ached after doing this routine. I wish she would break the moves down more and give us warning she's transitioning to the next exercise. I'd like to see if I have the correct form for these exercises and the camera angles do nothing to help me. Can't say I will be buying more Tracy dvds - she seems bored and more concerned about looking good while doing her program. If you're new to working out - don't buy this one.
on August 9, 2014
I now consider myself a real fan of Tracy's mat method. You will need 1 to 3 pound weights, a chair and a yoga mat for this workout. I like the fact that it is a paired down workout, there isn't a lot of flash, the video consists of Tracy alone. I am seeing results and I've found the workout empowering. Yes you do have to have commitment to the program, but it is so very worth it! I would recommend starting with the "Method for Beginners" first, rather than jumping straight into this dvd.