DVD Region Encoding
Global region codes identify specific DVDs that are compatible with the players typically sold in that region. The majority of all current titles play in only one specific region unless otherwise noted.
Most of the DVDs sold by Amazon.ca are encoded for Region 1 (for standard DVDs) or Region A (for Blu-Ray DVDs) only and may not work on DVD players in other countries.
- U.S., U.S. Territories, Canada, and Bermuda
- Japan, Europe, South Africa, and the Middle East, including Egypt
- Southeast Asia, East Asia, including Hong Kong
- Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean
- Former Soviet Union, Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
- A/1: North America, Central America, South America, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia.
- B/2: Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
- C/3: India, Nepal, Mainland China, Russia, Central and South Asia.
If you're interested in buying DVDs from other regions, try our international sites.
International VHS Formats
All of the videos sold by Amazon.ca follow the 60 Hz, NTSC format. This is the video format used in North America and Japan. NTSC videotapes will not work on most videocassette players in countries that use PAL, SECAM, or other video standards.
PAL-format VHS tapes will work on most players in Europe, Australia, China, and parts of the Middle East. If you are interested in purchasing PAL videos, please visit Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de.
SECAM-format VHS tapes will work on players in France. You may purchase SECAM videos from Amazon.fr.