Textbook Season Best Practices
Textbook season can be one of the busiest and most profitable times of the year for textbook sellers. To help you get the most out of it, we've compiled a list of the business practices of our top textbook sellers.
Tip 1: Be prepared for a sudden increase in orders.
- Keep on top of orders by checking your seller account daily. This will help you ship products on time.
- Fall textbook season begins in mid-July and goes through mid-October. Peak textbook sales are generally the week before Labour Day.
- Spring textbook season begins mid-December and goes through early February. Peak textbook sales are generally the first two weeks of January.
- If you sell through multiple sales channels, avoid disappointing customers by updating your inventory daily.
Tip 2: Make sure your textbook is listed under the correct ISBN and the condition is described accurately.
- Decrease returns by making sure the buyer gets exactly the product described on the detail page where you place your listing.
- Students search for textbooks by ISBN. Use the ISBN on each textbook to match to the correct page.
- Check the details on the page to avoid listing your textbook on a page for a different version or edition.
- When listing your textbook, pick the appropriate condition and add accurate condition notes about marks and highlighting.
- Do not list international editions, solutions manuals, or teacher's editions. These products are prohibited.
- Read our policies about Selling Textbooks.
Tip 3: Allow for multiple shipping options.
- Students often need their books ASAP and pick listings that offer expedited shipping.
- If a buyer selects expedited shipping, check the shipping speed requested for each order and be sure to honor it.
Tip 4: Ship within 2 business days.
- Do not list textbooks that you do not have available for immediate shipping. All textbook sales must ship within 2 business days. Delayed shipments can negatively impact your performance ratings.
- If you must cancel or refund an order, do so promptly.
Tip 5: Provide shipment confirmation to buyers.
- Students often anxiously await their textbooks. Confirm shipment through Manage Orders as soon as possible. Amazon will send a shipping confirmation to the buyer.
- You may want to consider purchasing delivery confirmation or using a trackable shipping method; however, you may not charge buyers for additional service fees if you choose to purchase additional services. Instead, you should take into account all applicable costs (including fees and shipping rates) when listing and pricing your products.
Tip 6: Be prepared for increased returns.
- Students often need to return textbooks due to course cancellations. All Amazon.ca sellers must accept returns even if the order is fulfilled correctly.
- Impress buyers by helping to expedite returns. Consider including a return address and instructions inside your package in addition to the return address on the package itself.
- Request that the buyer pack the product and return it to you. In cases where the seller is not responsible for the return, return shipping costs should be paid by the buyer. Upon receipt, immediately issue the appropriate refund.
In addition to using these tips and best practices, we encourage you take advantage of the wealth of information available in our Seller Help pages.
Please use the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.ca Seller account.