5.0 out of 5 stars Survive- anywhere.
No need for a long review here. This book was written by a professional soldier who was in the SAS, or the Special Air Service. For those not in the know, that's an elite unit of the British Army trained to carry out operations in ALL parts of the world. Eventually, the author became a survival instructor to the SAS, so you can be sure that this guy knows his stuff...
Published on Jan. 17 2008 by "Outdoor" Jack

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book for some environments, not all
It may be impossible to write a survival book that is accurate and authoritative on all environments and all areas of the world, and this is something to keep in mind when purchasing a general survival book like the SAS Survival Handbook. For the most part, it's quite good and gives excellent information on outdoors survival in most temperate climates. HOWEVER, one place...
Published on Nov. 4 2003 by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars you can survive anything now, Jan. 13 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea (Paperback)
well to say the least it's great there is everything from surviving a nuke to artic living i've bought 5 copys and i plan to give them to ANYONE i know this book makes me feel like i could take on the world it's nothing like any onther survival book you've read it's just the best

5.0 out of 5 stars Survivor's Bible, Nov. 20 1999
By A Customer
I'd like to think that after reading this book I can have a shot at surviving in the wilderness.
Sometimes I think how I would behave in different situations, what would I do, what plans I would devise, etc. Maybe it's just me, it's what I am, a thinker by nature, but it is interesting to go out of your way in say " What would I do if this happened". One day I tried to imagine what would happen if I had a car accident out in the country, with no access to phones or any other appliance or provision. I though of what I should do, but nothing came to mind. I was terrified, after all, a situation as that is not too uncommon. So I searched around and found this book. I can surely say that even if I won't quite fare incredibly well in the Great Outside all by myself, this book will at least be what I should thank for giving me a chance to survive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding! The most comprehensive survival info. available, Nov. 16 1999
Eric (Pensacola, Florida) - See all my reviews
The British Special Air Service (SAS) is an elite military unit trained for long range patrols,sabatoge and covert operations far behind enemy lines. The U.S. Navy SEAL teams are trained on principles developed by the SAS nearly fifty years ago. SAS troops are deployed to some of the most remote regions on the planet and for this reason, must be experts in outdoor survival. John Wiseman is a former SAS survival instructor, so you can rest assured that you are receiving the best available information. The techniques desribed in this book are simple, functional and extremely clever, all hallmarks of SAS operations. The section on traps and snares is spectacular! All drawings are clear and easy to understand and the book is organized into specific geographic regions according to climate(i.e. deserts, jungles, etc.). I have spent most of my professional career in the woods (I'm a biologist by trade)and I use the information in this book on a daily basis, including training fellow employees in the basics of land navigation, improvised direction finding, and basic "woodsmanship". Additionally, I apply the SAS mindset to daily problem solving and find that it serves me well. The book comes in two sizes and I can highly recommend the pocket sized version for your pack or field bag. I can not say enough good things about this book. I have over fifty survival books in my personal library and this is the one I use as my bible. I can also highly recommend the SAS Escape,Evasion and Survival Manual by Barry Davies. It contains the same high quality info. as this book plus some additional goodies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't leave home without it., Nov. 8 1999
By A Customer
My Gem Collins mini book has been all over the world with me, from Tasmania, to Yellowknife as well as Croatia and points in between. I even drag it out camping, and use it to study up on edible stuff;an essential, lightweight piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive!, Sept. 29 1999
By A Customer
I am a Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps, and if there is one book that I would consult on all of my survival issues, this is it. It does, however, deal with some issues that most people probably don't need to know, such as long-term living, but more does not hurt. I would reccommend this book to anyone interested in the subject. As a final thought, the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport, California, uses this book as one of their references in teaching their elite survival courses for U.S. Special Forces!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a very informative & interesting read!!!, July 12 1999
By A Customer
This book tells you how to survive in the wild. It may be a bit gory in parts but if you've read this, you will be able to survive in the most extreme outdoors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best, June 18 1999
By A Customer
This book is absolutely the best I've seen so far. Graphical details en easy to understand concepts. This book is a must have for all outdoors people and especially scouts and Royal Rangers!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great survival book, also check out the miniature version!, May 8 1999
By A Customer
I think this is a great survival book. One of the best I've seen. I also have the pocket version which is also a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest, May 7 1999
By A Customer
I actually was stranded in the woods for eight days because of a mishap. My car broke down when I got a flat, and smashed into a tree. I had this book with me, and I would not be alive if it weren't written. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best of its kind, March 14 1999
By A Customer
this is the only book you need to buy, pack it with your gear...

The SAS Survival Handbook:  How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.78