5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book
Published on May 10 2006 by Steven R. McEvoy

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good advice, but much too mystical
Some of the advice he gives is sound, but he makes it all sound so mystical. For example, the "Heart of the Rose" exercise is meditation. There, simple and precise; no need to get a rose and stare at it, learn about meditation instead, not some mystical, over-specific prescription.
Other concepts, like kaizen, were interesting, but didn't talk enough...
Published on May 27 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This is an interesting story. It is a story of a lawyer who appears to have it all - the corner office, the life style, the cars, women, … Then he gives it all up and tours the East. While there he comes across this strange monk and monastery. He comes to live life in a much different way. Yet he is challenged by the monk who has trained him to go back home and share the message he has learnt, with the West. Julian, our main character, returns to his old law firm and to his protégé John. He tells him a parable; then the rest of the book explains the parable and how it relates to different aspects of our lives. The parable is rather simple and a little strange but as it is explained you will never forget it. Read it to find out how a garden, lighthouse, sumo wrestler, pink wire cable, stopwatch, roses and a winding path of diamonds are symbols of timeless principles and virtues by which to live your life. This book could help raise the quality of your life to a new level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful primer on growing into yourself, Oct. 10 1999
By A Customer
I found the book to be a useful step-by-step guide to personal growth. The fable format helps to add interest to what could otherwise become a tiresome listing of all the good things we should be doing for ourselves but aren't. Although most of the principles dealt with can be found in countless other volumes on self-help, personal growth and spirituality, Sharma's way of putting it all together helps to keep one on track. And sticking to the straight and narrow is for me the most difficult aspect of becoming the person I want to be. I have a minor quibble with Sharma's treatment of fear. He ignores the fact that fear breaks down into two main types. The first is the healthy kind that keeps us out of the path of speeding trucks and the other is the kind of fear that, due to abuse or difficult upbringings or whatever, exists in our psyche as a chronic undertone of tension and anxiety that undermines our self-image and our relationships. Minor complaints aside, I feel that a careful reading of the book and an equally judicious application of it's principles will help anyone to find greater joy and freedom in their lives.

(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
Ce commentaire est de: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Spiritual Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Nov. 13 2005
An amazing book about balancing ones life! I have read this book twice, I've found it to be one of the only books that I continue to think of when going through trial and tribulations. This book has taught me more about how little things really aren't important, and how we CAN change our lives with the simple teachings in his book.
I highly recommend everyone to read this!

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good advice, but much too mystical, May 27 1999
By A Customer
Other concepts, like kaizen, were interesting, but didn't talk enough about the philosophy of the idea.
All in all, the concepts expressed in the book seem to all come from some non-existant religious sect, rather than from the author's life. I know that the ideas are expressed in a story to make them more easily absorbed, but the effect seems to obscure the real potential of some of the concepts in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Motivational Book, Dec 20 2003
Maureen "bchrunr" (Redondo Beach, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I have read 3 of Robin Sharma's books during a particularly trying year and all three have given me confidence and helped me organize my energies to become more positive and successful in my personal, professional and spiritual life. The book gets a bit preachy & hokey at times, but the message is real and easy to apply to life. I reread chapters over & over if I am having a bad day or I want to focus my energy on a goal I want to achieve. I have given this book as gifts to many friends who are at crossroads in their lives, and all have thanked me. A great gift for anyone. I highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable book with an important message, May 5 2013
Karl - Tiny Thought Guy (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It seems so often in life that many of us resonate with things differently. A message that inspires one person might be totally unimportant to another. I think that is the gift that Robin Sharma brings with this book. Some of the reviews here say that what is said has been said before, and that might be true; however, until we "get it" we often need to hear things more than once and perhaps in several forms. I enjoyed this book and if I actually "knew" all of the information well enough, I probably would not need to read anymore books. Unfortunately, I still have some "learning" to do and, as such, I will probably re-read this book more than once more in my lifetime. If you have a perfect life, you don't need this book. If, on the other hand, there is room for improvement, give it a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars the search for the lost chord, May 17 2007
ken wasky (Thunder bay,Canada) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book. When you look at this world and you see the shallowness of so much of it (TV), it is wonderful that a good book can help renew your life vitality. Although, I gave it a four and not a five star rating that was because of my personal expectations. Having studied and experiencing much in this life I found a part of the book to be a bit off. Having said that, on the other hand, it hits home, right in the spiritual gut many times so it is still way better than most out there. Also it is a fun read, so enjoy!!!!!!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›