5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, humorous, albeit wandering plot
Published on April 13 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellently Written and Realistically Funny!
Published on March 8 2005 by Stephanie Van Dyk

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, humorous, albeit wandering plot, April 13 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Alice, I Think (Library Binding)
I greatly enjoyed Susan Juby's debut novel "Alice, I Think". I did not put it down from start to finish. Having been home schooled myself by a relatable "hippie" mother for a short period during my elementary years; I found many of the issues to be whole and humorous truths. The plot line was not exactly firm, but as Juby was aiming to portray the diaried life of a teenage girl, we cannot entirely expect her to provide one. The form in which Alice scribed her life was hilarious; the dry humor could be lost on some. The characters were eclectic, and provided much spice to the story. I enjoyed Alice's attempts to become "alternative", trying the replicate her cousin franks hair cut (with disastrous-and then fufilling- consequences), "thrifting", and trying hard to become immune to pop culture, while inadvertently submitting herself to the worst form.
All in all, this was a well-rounded read, with laughs, life lessons, and much more. It is to be avoided if you lack the talent to pick up on dry humor, subtle sarcasm, and a strong sense of reading between the lines for humor not plainly stated. The book is a plain farce, and should be taken as so.

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny I was sweating, June 26 2000
Jessie (Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alice, I Think (Paperback)
The whole time I was reading Susan Juby's Alice, I Think I was transported into a mind and life that was so compelling and funny I never wanted to stop. It was so true to my own experiences as a teenaged girl that I really identified with Alice, her screwy but lovable family, and the bizarre assortment of locals in Smithers, BC. I was so tired of reading all the usual books in the local and school libraries that I took a chance on this one, and I can't wait for more from Ms. Juby. I highly recommend this to readers of all ages as one of the funniest, most charming books you'll ever have the pleasure of experiencing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, April 27 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Alice I Think (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book is six hours, I loved it so much. The voice of Alice is so funny. The entire book is hilarious but it touches on more serious topics as well. Alice is basically out to fulfill her life goals that she sets out at the beginning of the book. And she does, in strange, comedic ways. The supporting cast of characters are entertaining as well. For a change, the setting is Canadian, which is a breath of fresh air after reading so much American and British fiction. Highly recommended. It will make you laugh out loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Funny, Funny!!!, May 5 2004
Maggie Wood (London, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alice I Think (Paperback)
I couldn't help responding after reading the last two reviews. 'Alice, I Think' is not meant as a *research project*. It is a book - a *very* funny book - and Alice is a teenager with a teenager's scathing, sometimes rude, way of narrating what she sees around her. When I read this book, I certainly did not get the sense that Juby was dissing home-schooled kids - just the opposite. I wonder if the mother who wrote the review noticed that everything she said about home-schooled children fits Alice to a T. Alice is comfortable around adults and any reasonable kids. She isn't concerned with fitting in, and she is basically okay with who she is. Yeah sure, she's experimenting with her identity, but she's supposed to - she's a teenager!
Anyway, this book is one of the funniest that I've read in a long time,and I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a student, June 22 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Alice, I Think (Paperback)
Alice, I Think is a hilarious, exciting and fascinating book. This book talks about the life of a teenage girl who does not fit into her school and her surroundings. Juby cleverly uses Alice as a role model to tell all the young people who do not fit into their high schools that originality is a special gift. Alice, I Think is an entertaining book because it contains sex (sort of), some violence and lots of humor. Everything that a person looks for in a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, Nov. 5 2013
This review is from: Alice I Think (Paperback)
I absolutely love this book. The pace of the story, the detail of the characters, and the fact that it's Canadian! Susan Juby has the ability to create amazingly colourful characters. I found Alice very easy to relate to when I was her age, I highly recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellently Written and Realistically Funny!, March 8 2005
Stephanie Van Dyk (British Comlubia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alice I Think (Mass Market Paperback)
I have heard it said that "Alice, I think" is a childish attempt at a book of a teenager's life. Some say it is unrealistic, and that the plot pieces included could never happen. Others declare that the humor was heavy handed and obvious. Still other people decide that Alice, the main charactor is stupid, childish and that her world is very, very wrongly portrayed. I disagree completely.
Having lived in a small town very much like Smithers, having visited there several times before and who's mother grew up in Terrace, a few hours away from Smithers, I can confidently say that, yes, this book shows exactly what Smithers is like. It's small, tight-knit, and, at times, just plain weird. Along with this, I can also affirm that the plot pieces, as they are told, may be slightly exaggerated, but actually do happen in rural British Columbia.
Also, since I am fifteen myself, and was homeschooled for a good portion of my life, I can say with confidence two things. First, Alice is realistic as a homeschooled teenager, acting like I have at times. I laugh at adults who read this book and say that it was an innacurate account of a teenager growing up. How would they know? I, a teenager myself, found it startlingly accurate. Second, this book is not making fun of or laughing at homeschooled children - it is laughing with them. Many people who have been homeschooled know that it does tend to leave one a little sheltered and shy, causing all sorts of humorous incidents.
I leave with these words - before making comments about any book at all, consider how you know them to be true. Sometimes, unless you have been in certain situations, you cannot accurately judge the authenticity of the author's account.
-Stephanie Van Dyk
British Columbia, Canada

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so realistic but funny in its worth, March 25 2005
Aarone (Bc,Canada.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alice I Think (Paperback)
Alice, I think is a great book, although not so realistic. Some of the situations Alice gets herself into seem to be not based on reality one bit, unlike some other books which seem like the portrayel of an average teenager.
Although some of this book is a bit silly, not at any point is it not entertaining or witty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, Sept. 26 2005
Leah (Cambridge Ont. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alice I Think (Paperback)
I found more I could relate to in the Alice books then I would have thought was possible from any book. Reading it I was laughing my butt off at her escapades one minute and shaking my head at her the next; then the parallel between my life and hers made it even the more hilarious. I would suggest this book to anyone with a sack-dress wearing hippie mother who drives a station wagon (you know who you are). All three books are such a fun read and not too heavy if you don't have lots of time. I am so pleased that I stumbled on Alice I Think by chance, It gives me a laugh just thinking back on it. If you would think it's not a very realistic story I can tell you it definitely is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice, I Know, Dec 1 2002
This review is from: Alice I Think (Paperback)
One of the best coming-of-age books that I have read in awhile. I didn't think anything could surpass Anderson's 'Speak' and 'Catalyst'or Spinelli's 'Stargirl.' Susan Joby has done it with clever wit, realism and true insight as Alice's voice becomes one that engages the reader with belly-laughter and hard-hitting sincerity. I could easily imagine having Alice as a close friend to help buoy teen problems with families, school, friends and future. Her descriptions of Mom & Dad are priceless.

Alice I Think
Alice I Think by Susan Juby (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 16 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01