march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage scflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on June 29, 2008
I began this book - a Book Club choice for me - with enthusiasm, and at first found it interesting. I wanted to find out what happened to the sisters, and was quite engaged in the book. That did not last long. Following Clara's rape I found the book went downhill at an astonishing rate. Her fascination and imaginings about her rapist were ridiculous ... almost embarrassing. Her relationship with Frank was too clichéd to be believable, and the constant reference to sexual relationships was boring and unconvincing. And while lesbianism was alive and well during that era, it was not something that the average small town gal would know much aboout ... and certainly would not have been a topic for open discussion. I found myself skimming huge sections as it was just too tedious to plough through it all.
on June 9, 2004
The book starts off really slowly and then achieves a certain momentum. However, when Frank enters the picture it turns into a boring, offensive, and totally cliche look at sexual relationships. Clara is supposed to be strong but she's just pathetic. I'm angry that I've wasted my time reading this trite junk.