5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible breastfeeding resource!
Published on Nov. 8 2002 by Connie Banack

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
I bought this book along with The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding during my pregnancy. I preferred The Womanly Art a LOT more. This book has good info and I believe Newman is very well-respected and knows what he's talking about, BUT...the book isn't as well written stylistically, is less accessible and user friendly, and large portions of it are devoted to why...
Published on Dec 31 2010 by Lucy Loo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible breastfeeding resource!, Nov. 8 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Guide to Breastfeeding (Hardcover)
The definitive guide to breastfeeding that I have looked for and finally found - how incredible for it to also be Canadian! Everything is covered in this book, even blebs which I needed information on personally and could not find in the many other breastfeeding books I own (I am a childbirth educator and doula so I own several). Not only did it have the information I needed, it even had a picture of a bleb and gave me the healing options I needed for this painful condition! This is the first book I recommend to all of my clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best breastfeeding resource, period., Jan. 5 2009
CanadianMother (Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Dr. Jack Newman's Guide To Breastfeeding (Paperback)
After having been unsuccessful breastfeeding my first two babies, I was determined with my third that I would succeed. So I started checking out breastfeeding resources from the library. Because I had already tried breastfeeding, I knew that problems do occur and I wanted to be equipped withe knowledge to conquer those problems.

Imagine my surprise when I found that most breastfeeding books just talk about what a great experience it is, and then cover the basics, but tend to gloss over the potential problems as easily fixable. Ha!

Then I read Dr. Newman's book, and then, I knew that I could do it, because he gave me all the information I was looking for. This book is, simply put, the BEST, and MOST COMPLETE resource that I have been able to find on breastfeeding. He talks in great detail about subjects such as how to increase milk production through taking herbs; how to treat problems such as thrush, blocked ducts, sore nipples, and mastitis; how to deal with colic in the breastfed baby; and so much more.

Dr. Newman treats hundreds if not thousands of women yearly in his Toronto breastfeeding clinic--so he knows the sorts of problems women have with breastfeeding, and he knows how to deal with them. He also knows which ideas should be tossed out the window (for example, restricting the mother's diet, or telling smoking mothers they shouldn't breastfeed). I can't say enough good about this book, and I also can't say enough good about Dr. Newman himself. He truly is a gem for breastfeeding women everywhere! He even answered my emails promptly when I had questions for him.

I love the style the book is written in too--Dr. Newman writes with a friendly, casual, conversational style that makes you feel like you're having a personalized visit with him in his office.

In the end, I DID succeed with breastfeeding my third baby, but I guarantee I would have given up if it had not been for Dr. Newman's detailed advice for treating thrush. God bless him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, June 15 2005
dafeist (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Dr. Jack Newman's Guide To Breastfeeding (Paperback)
This book was an amazing resource that helped me enormously with breastfeeding. If it wasn't for Dr. Newman's book, I wouldn't have lasted the first weeks of breastfeeding. Through comprehensive teachings and examples, it teaches you how to breastfeed easily and without pain, while giving you a glimpse of the marketing that formula companies employ to lure women away from nursing.
It is the one book that is essential for a breastfeeding mother (or mother to be).

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommend!, March 13 2009
R. Betts (Cambridge ON Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to give to someone having a baby who had some trouble breastfeeding her first 2 kids, but ended up flipping thru it first and read the whole thing myself - I'm keeping it for when my 2nd baby comes! I thought I knew plenty about nursing since my daughter was almost 2 when she self-weaned, but once I read this book I realized how much I didn't know! It made me wish I had looked for help when nursing my first because Dr Newman gives so many great tips in this book, for a ton of issues you could have. My daughter was very colicky and there are some great ideas for things I could've tried and my life would've been, well, quieter :) I'm bringing it to the hospital with me when I deliver my baby next month!

5.0 out of 5 stars To say this book is fantastic is the understatement of the century!, Sept. 7 2006
Daniela Zgomba (Mississauga, Canada / Rovinj, Croatia) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Dr. Jack Newman's Guide To Breastfeeding (Paperback)
As a Canadian living abroad I often depend on literature from Canada (ordered online of course) to provide me with information but don't often have a chance to peruse the books before buying. This was definetly a great choice!

I read this book before and after giving birth, and the only tiny thing I have found so far that is lacking is that it doesn't really mention breastfeeding after more medicated C-Sections, that is where you are asleep during delivery, don't see the baby for a few hours and don't have the strength after surgery to start breastfeeding right away (the book only mentions nursing in more serious situations). The thing that did help was the main theme of the book - be persistent and you will suceed! After a number of failed attempts, bleeding nipples due to poor latch and other slight problems, my baby and I have managed to breastfeed 100% of the time for the last 15 of her 20 days in this world! It's the most amazing feeling and I reccomend that all pregnant and nursing women as well as FATHERS read this book, it provides the information and support you need to be persistent enough to establish nursing during the sometimes tough first few days.

PS. I was lucky enough to give birth in a Baby Friendly Hospital in Pula, Croatia and encourage all Canadian hospitals to aim for this designation - if a tiny provincial hospital in Eastern Europe can do it anyone can, all it takes is the good will of the staff and administration!

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL !, March 21 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Guide to Breastfeeding (Hardcover)
A must have for any new mom or any lactation helper! A great gift idea. If you know Jack , then this is the book you would expect it to be! This book tells it like it is in easy to understand terms. I can't say enough good about this book !

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour - read this book!, Jan. 20 2006
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Dr. Jack Newman's Guide To Breastfeeding (Paperback)
This book is fantastic! Dr Newman's book is a wealth of information and great advice and is an absolute must for anyone who is planning to breastfeed. I can't tell you how many times I referenced this book when nursing my first child. It covers everything you could possibly need to know in a simple no-nonsense style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 6 2009
H. Spring - See all my reviews
This book helps you to understand some important facts about breastfeeding so you can make the best choices for you. Dr. Newman gives examples of how doctors may direct moms to stop breastfeeding when it is not required. This book will make you feel comfortable, knowledgeable and GREAT about breastfeeding your baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read Before Baby is Born!!, April 19 2009
Anna Pietrangelo (Brampton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a MUST READ for every expectant Mom. I give this book as a gift for every pregnant woman I know.
The introduction alone will motivate you to breastfeed and not even think of formula feeding your baby.

As natural as breastfeeding is, there are many challenges and this book helped me to successfully breastfeed my two boys for one year each.

This is a great reference guide, guaranteed to answer every question (and there will be lots!!!).

4.0 out of 5 stars expecting great things!, July 24 2009
R. J. Baril (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
I think this book was great although I haven't gotten to use any of the advice yet since our little one isn't due for another couple months! I love that he doesn't cushion the pitfalls of formula feeding like some sources do! :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dr. Jack Newman's Guide To Breastfeeding
Dr. Jack Newman's Guide To Breastfeeding by Teresa Pitman (Paperback - Feb. 6 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 4.26