Auto Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle boutiques-francophones Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on December 2, 2011
I bought this book while I was still pregnant, and brought it to the hospital when our baby was born. Along with most of the women I know, I had a lot of trouble with breastfeeding at first. Unfortunately, this book did more to make me feel guilty about my 'failed efforts' than it helped me to breastfeed my baby. I did not have enough milk supply for my baby, so after a few days, she was starving and losing a dangerous amount of weight. This book made the decision to feed my baby formula as a supplement incredibly difficult and gut-wrenching at an already very emotional time - it added guilt to my worry about my baby not being fed. After several weeks of trying and trying to get my milk supply up, I finally realized that I was hitting my head against a brick wall for no reason - unlike what this book says, formula is NOT poison or made by evil people -- it can be a very useful thing to feed babies what they need if you are having trouble feeding them naturally. To me the book was far too judgmental of women who might not be able to breastfeed, although they want to. My baby is a year old now, and I am still breastfeeding, but she's never been able to get ALL her milk from me. Oh well! Only after I got rid of this book could I see that that was okay. Breast milk is good, but it's NOT a magic elixir! If you can't breastfeed, you can still be a good mother! This book is one big guilt trip.

Another annoying thing to me was Mr. Newman's assertions that breastfeeding doesn't hurt if you're doing it right. Well, I know I'm not a breastfeeding expert like Mr. Newman, but I AM a woman who has breastfed! And NO, I WASN'T doing it wrong, and YES IT DID HURT (in the beginning)! How many babies have YOU breastfed, dude?!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse