5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Dinosaurs, Good Laugh
Published on July 25 2003 by shoutgrace

1.0 out of 5 stars A bt of a disappointment...
Published on March 20 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Familar, Aug. 1 2003
The first thing that comes to mind when I look at this book is how beautifully illustrated it is. The images are rich, engaging and a delight to absorb. Unfortunately, they are almost identical to those found within "How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?" However, I feel this gives them a sense of familiarity for children who know the bedtime story.
The book covers ten dinosaurs -- Brachiosaurus, Carnotaurus, Dilophosaurus, Euoplocephalus, Gallimimus, Parasaurolophus, Styracosaurus, Tropeognathus, Tuojiangosaurus, and Velociraptor. All of them appear so friendly that your child just might invite them over the next time he's sick. Moreover, they are anatomically correct, insofar as they can be for cartoon like illustrations.
One of the most interactive pieces of the book is that each illustration has hidden within it the name of the dinosaur. Everytime my son and I read this book he seeks out the dinosaur's name. It's a dino I Spy game for him.
He's also fascinated with the fact that he can match the dinosaurs from the inside covers (front and back) with those within the story.
Of course, beautiful illustrations are important, but so is the story line. This one is done well. The illustrations show the dinosaurs engaging in all sorts of antics so familiar to parents of ill preschoolers. In the end, the dinosaurs do the right thing, "He drinks lots of juice, and he gets lots of rest." Fans of "How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight" will notice that the story ending is almost identical to that book -- our dino friend closes his eyes and whispers good night.
Overall, I would recommend this book for dinosaur loving preschoolers! It is beautiful, interactive and well written. However, if your already a fan of the first book, you may find this one to be a repeat of the first with a slightly different topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Dinosaurs, Good Laugh, July 25 2003
shoutgrace "savedbyhisgrace" (Charleston, WV United States) - See all my reviews
If you loved Jane Yolen's first book, 'How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?' you'll probably like, 'How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?' Both are morally instructive. Dinosaurs act as children, and if by bad or good example, show the way they ought to behave. The dinosaurs portray a over-sized wrong-doers and get the kids to cheer on through their own capers while giving helpful pointers. The book is poetic and has lots of questions to be answered. Like, "What if a dinosaur catches the flu?/Does he whimper and whine in between each Atchoo? Then the readers can answer correctly what a dinosaur should do! Imagine what the doctor has to tackle? What would it be like of a dinosaur threw-up? Ewwwww! I wouldn't want to clean up that mess :)! Look out there when Tuojiangosaurus "opens wide." One of my favorite illustrators, Mark Teague expands on a smart concept of what is usually ordinary households in which the "child" is a big dinosaur. Still imagine a mom dragging her dinosaur to see the doctor. Imagine the human expression in those cute dinosaur faces. Yep, these dinosaurs are put through the gamut of sickness. These big fellas will charm and entertianment those little listeners who maybe confine to bed and need a little company. And, at the same time enjoy all the fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Well, Dinosaur....., Feb. 27 2003
"What if a dinosaur/catches the flu?/Does he whimper and whine/in between each Atchoo?" So begins award winning author and illustrator, Jane Yolen and Mark Teague's playful and entertaining picture book about how to handle all the misery of the cold and flu season. Does that dinosaur throw dirty tissues on the floor, toss off his covers, and fling his medicine out the door? Does he dump his juice, hide from the doctor, scream and wail, and make a big stink? No of course not. He stays in bed, takes his medicine, cooperates at the doctor's office, and works at getting well soon. "He drinks lots of juice,/and he gets lots of rest./He's good at the doctor's/'cause doctors know best." Ms Yolen's silly, rhyming text is a bit forced, and not quite as wonderful as in their first collaboration, How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night. But Mr Teague's expressive, bold, bright and exuberant artwork is engaging, and filled with humor and wit. Young dinosaur lovers will revel in all the fun-filled, captivating illustrations. How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon? is a preschool crowd pleaser, that is sure to put a smile on every little runny-nosed face.

1.0 out of 5 stars A bt of a disappointment..., March 20 2004
By A Customer
My daughter likes dinosaurs a lot, and we loved the first "How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?" However, this sequel does not compare in originality and wittiness. The illustrations are good, similar to those in the first book, but that's about it (a repeat). The first book was fun, funny, and more than anything VERY original in its approach. Plus, most kids can relate to the attitudes portrayed in the first book, while this one is mostly for conventional families that go to conventional doctors and use conventional medicine (as if that was the only way to get well). Not us, and not so many families I know... I sincerely hope the authors are not planning any more sequels like this one (a collection of subtle "how to behave" manuals for kids), and keep in mind that their readers are young kids --keep their books FUN!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Sequel to the First Book, Nov. 22 2003
J. Garlen "Virtual Virago" (HUNTSVILLE, AL USA) - See all my reviews
Our whole family loved How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? so much that we were thrilled to have a sequel to it. The second book is a very fine work, but it doesn't quite equal the first book for clever lines or amusing pictures (what could ever top the illustration to the first book's "Does he up and demand a piggy back ride?"??). Of course, such is the classic curse of the sequel, and this one is much better than many sequels. If Yolen and Teague were to do another one, we would definitely buy it, too. They make a great team, and our two year old takes the "morals" of the stories very seriously -- maybe their next one should be about how to behave when out shopping!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Read Aloud!, Feb. 12 2003
By A Customer
I have given Jane Yolen's first HOW DO DINOSAURS book as a gift to dozens of children and not one has been disappointed. I was thrilled to find the second one just as charming and fun as the first. It is the perfect read aloud for any child--sick or not. And parents will be happy to have such a wonderful book to add to the "One More Time" pile.
I am always amazed at how versitile Jane Yolen is. When my own little dinosaur finally drifts off to sleep, I can enjoy reading another chapter of her new novel GIRL IN A CAGE.
My only complaint is that my daughter may be too old when the next one comes out! Hurry Jane, hurry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mom of 2 in TX, Nov. 15 2003
By A Customer
I bought this book for my son (who is 4). We already have its predecessor "How Do Dinosaurs Go to Bed". They teach great lessons about how to behave at bedtime and the doctors office. Both are bedtime favorites - he even loves to look at the dinosaurs on the inside covers! Anything Mark Teague does is beautiful work and I recommend his books highly. Jane Yolen makes this book very easy to read, my son knows both dinosaur books by heart. Beautiful book, a must for childs book collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mom of Dinosaur lover, Jan. 8 2004
"mandyww" (MS United States) - See all my reviews
These books are great! My 5 year old daughter is a dinosaur fanatic and received "How Do Dinosaurs say Goodnight" as a gift. She loved it and when we found out there was another, we knew we had to have it. The rhymes are easy for her to remember and recite. And they teach great lessons that help her see a better way to resolve some problems with going to bed and going to the doctor. I only wish there were more....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for 4-6 Year Olds, Feb. 3 2003
By A Customer
I purchased this book for my five year old nephew who is a BIG Dinosaur fan. I previously purchased for him "How do Dinosaurs Say Good Night" Both were Big Hits. Large print and very few words on a page and easy vocabulary to help the youngsters learn to read. Also helps the children realize that everyone, even Dinosaurs, get sick once in a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs. Larson's 1st Grade Class, Jan. 7 2004
By A Customer
We liked this book a lot! We liked that it had a rhyming pattern. We liked the illustrator. He uses really bright colors. His pictures made us laugh. He hides the names of the dinosaurs in the pictures. WE had to use our eagle eyes to find them. It was a very good book.

How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon? by Jane Yolen (Paperback - Jan. 5 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01