4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read
I enjoyed reading this book. It covers the lives of three characters, Lord and Lady Talbot and Mary Queen of Scotts and is written in the first person of each of these characters.

Published on March 28 2011 by Barbara

2.0 out of 5 stars The Other Queen
Published on Dec 9 2008 by Andrea L. Zsigmond

2.0 out of 5 stars The Other Queen, Dec 9 2008
This review is from: The Other Queen (Hardcover)
To be honest, I was truly disappointed in this novel. I am a very big fan of Philippa Gregory's as well as historical fiction. I forced myself to finish reading it as I had waited months for this book! I would suggest that those readers interested in Mary, Queen of Scots, to read Margaret George's Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles. It provides much more information on Mary, not just her last days as a prisoner of Queen Elizabeth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her other books., Oct. 29 2008
Mary Stregger "Miyamom" (BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Queen (Hardcover)
The bottom line is - this book is just not as good as her others. It's not a complete waste of time - but I had a hard time finishing it, as I lost interest half way through.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, March 28 2011
Barbara "Nature Lover" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other Queen (Paperback)

Other reviews mention a repetitiveness with the characters' thoughts and anxieties as they try to be hosts and jailers to the queen. I agree that many lines were repetitive, but I didn't find it annoying. Instead I saw it as slowly twisting, building to its conclusion as the anxieties of the various characters ebb and flow as their luck flip flops back and forth while Spain and the north of England threaten Elizabeth's hold on the throne.

I really liked the character Bess Talbot, a self-made woman, who worked hard to make a fortune and to better herself. I identified with a woman in a man's world as she tried to keep it all together and not lose all she worked for in exchange for hosting/imprioning Queen Mary.

With her husband, I recalled older gentlemen with what today are old fashioned values and how they held onto their honour to the end.

Mary Queen of Scots used her beauty to meet her ends. I admit she was not portrayed as devious as I thought she could be.

The story didn't have the page turning suspense of her other books but it is a good read telling of the last few years of Mary the Queen of Scots.

I haven't read any other historical fictions based on Queen Mary so I didn't have any preconceived ideas about what she was like.

This book is not page turning suspense, but it's still a good read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lacks the Familiar Touch, June 16 2012
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other Queen (Paperback)
Ms. Gregory is well liked and known for her interpretation on historical events and providing her readers with hours of enjoyment. I admit being a huge fan of hers and I normally cannot put any of her novels down.

This is the story of Mary Queen of Scots time spent while under the guardianship of George Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury and his wife Bess of Hardwick. The story starts well by setting up the ambitions of the three main characters. They narrate their inner thoughts and views in alternating chapters and we see how they interact with each other and what ultimately motivates them.

From this point on, the attention grabbing moments are few and far apart. The repetitive abortive plots to put Mary on the throne of England in my opinion lack the spicy details required to attract the average fictional history reader. Reading chapter after chapter about three self-absorbed characters slowly became a turn off to the point where my mind started to wander and think about better things to do. Perhaps I was just not in the mood for this novel or maybe Ms. Gregory was rushed to produce another manuscript. It is not the MS. Gregory I have enjoyed in the past.

2.0 out of 5 stars A dull, repetitive read, Feb. 25 2012
This review is from: The Other Queen (Paperback)
What a disappointment. This novel was so tedious, and drawn out. It repeated the same thread of storyline over and over again, and was just a total bore. The characters were not interesting at all (not even Queen Mary) and after struggling through the book, a watered-down insipid ending. Nothing like her first novels, I struggled to finish it, and was glad when i did.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardship, hardship, hardship..., Nov. 30 2008
L. Hagell (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Queen (Hardcover)
Did anyone else feel like they were stuck on repeat while reading this book? While jumping back and forth between the 3 characters who are telling the story, it seems the author forgot she needed to move the plot along as well. Yes, we understand Bess made herself from nothing, worked hard to get where she did, blah, blah, blah. And Mary was a queen under the divine eye of god, her body was sacred, blah, blah, blah. Readers are not stupid, we do not need these facts beat into us in every chapter. The repetition made this book tedious and boring. As an avid reader of any tudor-era novel, I would say this is one of the worst. Which is sad, since some of this author's previous work is fantastic, and definately worth checking out. Try "The Virgin's Lover" or "the Other Boleyn Girl", which have great character development and an interesting story line.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing!!!, Nov. 10 2008
A. Scott (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Queen (Hardcover)
I was so looking forward to this books release, but after reading it, I am very disappointed. The book is written in the style of the Boleyn Inheritance, from the perspective of 3 people: Bess of Hardwick, George Talbot, and Mary, Queen of Scots. I feel this wasn't the way to go with Mary's story. Having a little background on Mary's life, the book would have been better told about her life before being held captive by Queen Elizabeth. I know the author was trying to show the hardships of the Talbots, having to house the Queen, and the troubles she brought them. While also trying to show Mary's struggles at re-claiming her throne, but Mary is such a fascinating woman in her own right, and I believe she deserved a better story focusing on only her. I felt the focus was more on Queen Elizabeth's struggles with her kingdom, then on Mary's struggles with her kingdom in Scotland.

I expected much more from this book. I believe that Mrs. Gregory missed a golden chance to tell the story of this most fascinating Queen.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT WORTH YOUR TIME OR MONEY..., March 10 2009
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other Queen (Hardcover)
There are many excellent books that have been written about Mary, Queen of Scots. Unfortunately, this is not one of them. Although I have enjoyed many of the author's books over the years, this one was almost painful to read, with its laughable dialogue and one dimensional, vapid characters. Even though the book appears to have been well-researched, the author manages to turn one of the most intriguing and tragic figures in history into someone about whom the reader could not care less.

The story focuses on the imprisonment of Mary, Queen of Scots, by order of her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I. The Earl of Shrewsbury and his wife, Bess, are to be her jailers. When their "guest", Mary, chafes under the restrictions imposed upon her, plots abound to set her free, much to the consternation of the Earl and his wife. The story is told via formulaic, first person narratives by Mary, the Earl, and Bess, all of which plod along, boring the reader to tears with its repetitive and lamentable prose.

It took me weeks to finish this book, and I looked upon it as a chore that I needed to complete. When the last page was finally turned, I breathed a sigh of relief, having been freed at last from reading anymore of this book, which I did not at all enjoy and would not recommend to my worst enemy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good as her others, Oct. 25 2008
B. Rhodes (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Queen (Hardcover)
I was really disappointed with this novel. Ms. Gregory seems to be trying to keep up with her past success and not really writing a spell binding novel. I suggest her other writings far more interesting and well written.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for a Philippa Gregory book..., Feb. 12 2009
Krista Lyne (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Queen (Hardcover)
I'm in the process of reading this book and find it's not like the other Philippa Gregory books that I've read. I find this book hard to get in to, whereas It would normally only take me a couple of days to finish.The plot seems to drag on and each character seems to repeat themselves, never getting you any farther. I bought this book because I am interested in Mary, Queen of Scots and I feel as though I haven't learned anything about her. This book has not discouraged me from reading other books by her because I know what a great author Philippa Gegory can be, although if this had been the first novel I read by her I probably would have missed out on her other great books!

The Other Queen
The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory (Hardcover - Aug. 28 2008)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.40