5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for his book on fruit!!!, March 2 2010
blamemame (London ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch (Hardcover)
I Love Nigel Slater! There, I've said it. He can do no wrong. I'm a vegetarian and he isn't but the way he writes about food is so solid, and his suggested "how-tos" are so charming I can't resist him. And I love this book best of all his books. Even if you don't like to cook you will be delighted reading about his garden and vegetables. If you do like to cook it will inspire you in the kitchen to help vegetables achieve transcendence! And if you have some arable land nearby you might want to try his gardening tips. I would! As I read Tender I - A Cook and His Vegetable Patch I found myself wishing I didn't live in an apartment.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, June 7 2010
V. Synnett (Gatineau, QC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch (Hardcover)
I don't know Nigel's work very much. I loved reading "Kitchen Diaries" but the recipes were just so-so (spice cake, tomato cream pasta, curries). This book though, "Tender", is amazing. The information on growing and using vegetables is incredible and so far, all the recipes I have tried were great (carrot cakes with coriander, chard and cheddar tart, brocoli and bacon soup, etc.). Will definitely buy "Tender II".

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to own, to read, and to learn from., July 12 2014
This review is from: Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch (Hardcover)
It's the sort of book you can pick up and read any time. Nigel Slater writes beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb writing - easy to read!, Dec 7 2012
This review is from: Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch (Hardcover)
Nigel never ceases to entertain and educate me.
I seldom cook new kinds of vegetables without referring to his words.
Nigel's food books are my "Go-to" books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, Aug. 7 2010
A. Lewis (Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch (Hardcover)
Nigel Slater is such an enjoyable food writer to read! I have four of his books, and thoroughly enjoyed this one. His recipes have yet to lead me astray! I cannot wait for Tender II: Fruits.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely pictures and great recipes. More than a simple cookbook, Aug. 16 2014
This review is from: Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch (Hardcover)
So well written, lovely pictures and great recipes. More than a simple cookbook !

5.0 out of 5 stars It will change the way you think about vegetables!, July 21 2011
This review is from: Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch (Hardcover)
I first wanted to buy this book because I would really love to grow a vegetable garden someday, and I thought this would be a great book to help me learn a little bit about it. The book ended up being so much more. I love everything about it! It has followed me everywhere - the living room, kitchen, bedroom, patio, etc. It is very easy to find recipes because of the way the book is divided - by vegetable! And not to mention his writing style - this is my first Nigel Slater book, and I can assure you that it will not be my last. There are also pictures of all of the vegetables and what they should look like. If you are trying to figure out how to incorporate more vegetables in your diet, this is a great book - often, the vegetable is the star of the dish, and a lot of times the recipes are actually for main dishes. Great purchase, very happy!

Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch
Tender I - A Cook And His Vegetable Patch by Nigel Slater (Hardcover - Nov. 9 2009)
CDN$ 44.95 CDN$ 28.18