5.0 out of 5 stars Not only a book, but a Piece of Art
It is quite difficult to write something about "The Silmarillion" when there are already so many people that have read it. But to write something about this new illustrated edition is completely different.
Published on Feb. 28 2005 by Gonzalo Morán

3.0 out of 5 stars Very broad and deep
I loved the introduction, and the depth of the imagination of JR Token to create such a wonderful beginning to his world. Once the book goes into families of families and other stories, I started losing interest. I am sure those stories are interesting in themself. I would still recommend it to any LOTR or Hobbit fan. Especially the beginning where all the different...
Published 14 months ago by Jamil Jacek Haidari

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only a book, but a Piece of Art, Feb. 28 2005
Gonzalo Morán (Havana City, Cuba) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silmarillion (Hardcover)
The whole book is a work mayor fantasy, created by J.R.R. Tolkien and it has been for all of us possible to read it, thanks to his son Christopher. The book should be read after having been read "The Hobbit" and The Lord of the Rings in that order, because if not its reading it could a bit difficult. Doing it this way you can feel as if you live each one of the histories like something that was made for us to know, but somehow didn't fitted in the previous books.
Now let's take this classic book and let's add it illustrations... Can someone request for more? This edition overcomes the previous by arriving to 45 marvelously painted illustrations, made by Ted Nasmith. Some of the paintings are awesomely real. They caught my eyes from the very beginning. It's a pity that some paintings made by Nasmtih, like the ones entitled "Eärendil Searches Tirion" and "Luthien Escapes the Treehouse" haven't been included in the final edition. On the other hand it was a big surprise to see the high-scaled map of this one. Not even the illustrated edition of LOTR has such a big and wonderful map.
To tell the truth it's a privilege to have this book in my bookcase beside the illustrated editions of "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings".
Once again thanks Tolkien for give us such a wonderful world to live in, and thanks Mr Nasmith for put it into images.

5.0 out of 5 stars most precioussssssssss!, Feb. 29 2004
norin (Ateneo, Philippines) - See all my reviews
I was so lost for words the first time i ended reading this book. Close to tears, even. I actually highlighted all terms i found significant. Almost the entire book is actually highlighted! Read it, love it, read it again and so it will NEVER come to pass when you'll grow tired of such wonderful material...

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, April 9 2012
This book was exciting and perfectly written. I re-read LOTR after reading this and it added SO MUCH to the depth of the novels. I recommend it to anyone interested in Middle-Earth, or any story about Light vs. Dark, Good vs. Evil. Additionally, it really helped shape my feelings regarding death.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest of all ...., May 5 2014
Aj Ahrens "shieldmaiden" (Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silmarillion (Hardcover)
The Silmarillion is by far my favourite Tolkien work. Unfortunately, many Tolkien fans who have come to his works via the films do not read this one. However, once convinced to do so, they inevitable become a huge fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars A heavy read but a great glimpse into the history and religion on Middle Earth, March 28 2014
This review is from: The Silmarillion (Paperback)
I usually re-read the Lord of the Rings once a year so I've come to terms with the sometimes difficult writing style and the descriptive nature of Tolkien. It can get to be like reading molasses but non the less I love it. The Silmarillion was much the same but more so written like a religious text, which for the most part it is. I found myself re-reading chunks and heading to the appendix at the back of the book to make sure I remembered who was being featured at the moment and if they were Valar, Elf, HUman, etc. The sheer number of characters, for lack of a better word, is quite a lot and it reads less like a story and more like a lecture of the history where Tolkien (and Christopher Tolkien) guide you personally through the hierarchy of gods and notable characters/events of the events prior to LotR.

For me none of the above meant that this was a bad experience. A few times I felt bogged down and couldn't see how something fit into the whole, but the creativity and depth behind the writing kept me interested until the end. The little tid-bits that related more directly to LotR were great to come across and the forging of the rings was particularly interesting.

The physical copy was perfect as always. A great buy for those wishing to know more about the history of Middle Earth and don't mind Tolkien's writing style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Shopper, March 12 2014
This review is from: The Silmarillion (Paperback)
Thank you for this edition of The Silmarillion. I cannot wait to read it!The price was right and the book arrived in fine condition.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, Feb. 10 2014
This review is from: The Silmarillion (Paperback)
Very disappointed that the item came damaged. The box was unopened and sealed so that tells me a damaged book was put in the box. Not worth the trouble to return which is what they were probably hoping for .

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it, Aug. 7 2013
This review is from: The Silmarillion (Paperback)
Got it today. Havent read it yet. But I appreciate how fast and prompt these people are with deliveries. I'll be looking forward to buying more books from you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for Tolkien fans!, July 2 2013
This review is from: The Silmarillion (Paperback)
It's a cute little pocket book. I had to buy it since I wanted to know more about the Tolkien universe. It's a very interesting book. I love the story. I like the fact that it's a pocket book so I can slip it into my purse or my school bag. I recommend it to every Tolkien fans who are obsess with the fabulous world this amazing author created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice cover, May 20 2013
This review is from: The Silmarillion (Paperback)
It's what it is. Nice cover, the pages are all cut square and all clue correctly :P For the story inside :D That never change.

Silmarillion
Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien (Paperback - Dec 15 2008)
CDN$ 24.99 CDN$ 15.67