5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable
The "A song of fire and ice" series is quite honestly astounding. Writing is crisp and very polished. It is quite a pleasure to lose oneself in the Seven Kingdoms and beyond. And that is a big plus with these books: they are captivating. Rarely have I ever been so immersed in a world. Especially a fantasy one.

However, there is a price to all this amazement...
Published on July 3 2011 by Maelor

3.0 out of 5 stars Just kill everyone already...
I love fantasy novels. When this got popular, I decided to check it out because it was right up the alley of what I typically read for fun. The show is so close to the books that they're not work buying, since at least you can watch and discuss a show with someone if you feel like it. As much as the story is great, I'm fed up of all the characters dying and it's not...
Published 1 month ago by Dandy

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, July 3 2011

However, there is a price to all this amazement. The initial 350 pages of the first book, Game of Thrones, are very slowly paced, for they are meant to introduce the reader to the world and characters, and it serves as a spring for the epic story that ensues. I'm not saying they are bad, quite the opposite. But you will not be blown away right away. But once the pace picks up, its a roller-coaster ride you will never forget, nor regret.

Lastly, with a price like this, its quite a deal as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, March 15 2012
ecira (Brickton, Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
These books are being made into a televised series on HBO and they have already completed the first season. I ordered these books after watching the first season and they are even better! (books always are!) The depth of character that the author delves into is amazing, giving us a glimpse into this faraway place and lost time. I think it is a must read for those who love the mystery of what could have been and yet to see.

-Game of Thrones- 835 pages
-A Clash of Kings- 1009 pages
-A Storm of Swords- 1177 pages
-A feast For Crows- 1060 pages

Diana

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Good Show, April 20 2012
Before I started reading the book I watched the show and they're actually very similar. The book is easy to read and it has kind of a medieval vibe to it as he uses words like "evenfall" for evening. So if you like fantasy books with medieval style writing, I think you'll enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, April 6 2013
One of the best birthday gifts I've ever been given!
This series came to my attention because of HBO, and I must say I was enthralled.
A Game of Thrones introduced Westeros, the Starks, the Lannisters, the hints of by-gone events (Robert's Rebellion), and the Direwolves!
A Clash of Kings was even more thrilling to read, with the factions/kingdoms divided and vying for control or hell-bent on revenge.
A Storm of Swords was the hardest to put down (thank goodness for vacations!)
A Feast for Crows was not as compelling a read as the first three, but since I was reading the four volumes back to back, I wasn't completely let down. Basically it was a 'breather' book (to show the chaos of a divided kingdom and the aftermath of war, I guess), and I took it all in with a grain of salt.
Overall score would be 4.5 stars (because of fourth book not being as fantastic a read as the first three).

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put them down, Jan. 13 2012
It's one thing to finish one 800 page book. But to sign up for three more, you know they must be good. These books are a marathon, not a sprint. The first few hundred pages can be confusing as you try to keep all the names, loyalties, histories, and storylines straight, but it's this richness that keeps the reader engaged and wanting to stay on board for thousands more pages. Just enough deceipt, mystery, sex, scheming to keep it juicy, and characters you can really connect with (Daenerys, Arya and Tyrion top my list- love all the strong female leads). A great read for young and old, men and women alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give this 10 stars!!!, March 6 2012
I cannot believe how much I LOVE this series!! I have recommended it to anyone and everyone that will listen to me, right from my grandmother to the stranger I met walking down the street. I have never been a fan of fantasy, but after watching season one on HBO, I just had to have more. I personally enjoy the way GRRM writes each chapter as a character. I found many chapters left you hanging like a good season finale. This made it near impossible to put the books down. The detail in which GRRM writes, leads the reader to lose themselves in the beautifully descriptive worlds of Westeros & The Lands of the Summer Sea. He also encourages the reader develop many love-hate relationships with the large list of characters. I do not know how I can bare the wait for the next installment . :(

4.0 out of 5 stars A good adventure book with lots of twists and turns., Feb. 21 2013
I read the first book in paperback and found it a very big bulky book to read that way. The next three I downloaded to my kindle and it is much easier to read this way. i do recommend this series of books for those who like the medieval old time adventures with swords and kings and queens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, Feb. 21 2013
Wish it was a bit easier to switch to different books though.
8 more words required for a review lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast shipping, Feb. 4 2012
Haha I ordered this Thursday morning, and I received it Friday afternoon. Don't opt for the other options of shipping, take the free one!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Read, Jan. 2 2012
Good purchase for the price.
Of course you have to like this type of story. The style is perfect as the narration changes with the storyteller.
The pace is quite good, never really letting up because there are so many actors in the story.
Great gift, really.