4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Good
This book was not written in an attempt to convince the staunch non-believer. It was written for those who believe and those who doubt their non-belief. I felt that his opening chapters regarding the moral argument presented a strong point in a weak way.
Published on July 16 2004 by lshave

2.0 out of 5 stars Good writing, but fails to make his case
I feel out of my league critiquing Mr. Lewis. I certainly recognize he is a gifted writer. All I am trying to do is say why, at least for me, he didn't prove his case.
The book is divided into four books, and at this time I'm only intending on commenting on the first two. The reason being that the latter two books are for Christians. The first two are for those...
Published on Aug. 17 2002 by Paul Doland

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Good, July 16 2004
"lshave" (Syracuse, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mere Christianity (Paperback)
Lewis used very little scripture in this book, but I do not see that as a weakness. If Christ genuinely is the Word, then his message should make perfect sense even apart from the written word.
One of the things Lewis demonstrated very well was the fact that if you look at man's dilemma as being fallen, and consider how he came to be in this dilemma, then the solution that Christianity offers makes perfect sense.
The concept of the trinity is also covered very well.
Finally, the chapter on God and Time sheds light on a few misconceptions about God's nature, and introduces a number of different ways of thinking about time that make it easier to see how God can hear everyone's prayers, or how the fact that God knows my future doesn't mean that I have no choice over the matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hats off to a legend, as we go back to the basics!, July 17 2004
Wolfe Moffat (Franklinville, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mere Christianity (Paperback)
There is the story told of a teacher instructing a martial arts class. 2 of the class mates are squaring off. The one boy doesn't have the training as the other does, although he's giving it everything he has. He's pretty much throwing every bit of technique at the advanced student as he can, and yet he still continues to get beat. The teacher finally pulls the less of the 2 students off to the the sides and says, "I know that you are as tough as nails. I know what you know. Perhaps if you went back to the basics, it might not be so difficult." The boys line up and square off. They circle each other. The lesser student finds his opening, BOOM!!! The other kid is sprawled out on the mat.
C.S. Lewis takes us through the basic points, and BOOM!! He floors us with what we thought was just going to be, "Mere Christianity." He wrote this back in the 1940's, yet he used a language that we can all understand, yet you have to take the time to comprehend what he's saying. I looked at this as a complex book on simple issues, and it constantly hit me between the eyes! There are places where you see God in a whole new light. It is like you've never seen it in such a perspective, yet now you find yourself amazed. His illustrations are very simple, yet sometimes you might want to read it again to get the full understanding of what he is saying. Then read it again, and smile, and praise God for this wonderful work! People have labeled this as "The most important book next to the Word of God." It just might be. And it is just the beginning.
C.S. Lewis used to be an atheist, and when he gave his talent to God, he became one of the most influencial writers that Christianity has ever seen! Folks, this is what happens when people might say, "God can't use that." And then God looks at what appears to be impossible and says, "Let's see what I can do!" Did people back then think that a former atheist could pull something like this off? This is just 1 of many wonderful works that Lewis has accomplished for the Kingdom of God! And it is so beautiful. Hats off to a legend!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the classic books in Christian apologetics, Feb. 24 2013
This is a book that I have long enjoyed, and come back to many times. Now I have been using Kindle, it is such a treat to be able to read these classics again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 13 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars challenging, May 25 2014
George Jones - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mere Christianity (Paperback)
This book by C.S. Lewis is well written, calling us to examine ourselves, our faith and the way we live our lives as Christians. My concepts and understanding of such things as what our role as Christians is to be here on earth, were challenged. I had my thinking changed on a number of ideas and perceptions that I had consciously or unconsciously held. I highly recommend the book for Christians who want to live lives that are pleasing to the Lord and that are fulfilling His plan for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good., Feb. 24 2014
Gary Hill (836-307st, Kimberley, B.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mere Christianity (Kindle Edition)
I was totally taken up by this book. Great knowledge and insight. This should be a must read for every believers after the Bible. Easily understood and most valued. Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Open Your Mind !, Jan. 12 2014
Paul A. Laughlin "Avid Reader" (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Mere Christianity

Some will want more detailed and for some, more intellectually stimulating thoughts about God and Christianity BUT if you want to open your mind and start here, you will be enlightened and surprised.
When you think that this was written by a well educated,former atheist for the common BBC listener in the 1940's, you will be amazed how his insights then, still apply to today.
If want to learn about what all this fuss about God and real Christianity is about start here.

Read his "Surprised by Joy" to find how God reached him.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Intriguing Jewel for Non-Believers and Believers Alike, Jan. 7 2014
This review is from: Mere Christianity (Kindle Edition)
I recommend this book by CS Lewis for absolutely any adult and teenager. It's one of the few books I've read every chance I got.

The author creates very concrete connections between our physical world and the spiritual world, and even though this was written in the 1940's I found myself saying, 'that's true' time and time again.

It's refreshing to read a novel that's comprised entirely of important thoughts along with useful considerations for personal development regardless of your faith. You will take away a lot from this book, and likely read it two or three times.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic introduction to Christian thought., Dec 10 2013
This review is from: Mere Christianity (Paperback)
Nobody does it like C. S. Lewis. He is though-provoking, humorous, insightful, and clear. Penetrating insights from a master in his field, but written so that the layperson and the thoughtful seeker can "get it".

Mere Christianity
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (Paperback - April 16 1986)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01