5.0 out of 5 stars Take the Time for Great Pizza

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much work for a pizza
Published on Oct. 8 2003 by Flame_926

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much work for a pizza, Oct. 8 2003
This review is from: The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
Alright, the last two days have been a series of mishaps for me. First off the pizza dough itself takes two full days to do. That's when my first error started: I tried to double the dough recipe (BIG mistake). The resulting goo was more of a new kind of super glue than dough. Next, the next day, I tried to roll out the goo into a pizza shape as it insisted in trying to cling around my arms when I tried to throw it. Again, big mistake. It just stuck to the rolling pin so I tried to mold it with my hands. After achieving a lumpy dough round that seemed to move around as much as "Flubber" I followed the instructions on the BLT pizza. The toppings and everything were perfectly explained.
After I cooked the pizza I took it out and much to my surprise the pizza crust was about an inch deep; it seems that my average interpretation of pizza dough depth was WAY off for this recipe; for all of you out there trying the cookbook make the dough about 1/8"-1/4" deep.
Finally I enjoyed my BLT bread (pizza?), thank goodness it still tasted good! Tips for buyers: set aside a ton of time to do a recipe from this book and read all of the recipe before you start so that you don't forget to set aside an hour here or there. If you are a beginning cook then this might not be the best book for you but start with something easy like the "Betty Crocker Cooking Basics Book" and work up to it. Best of luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Take the Time for Great Pizza, July 10 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
At a recent family cookout, our host used these recipes for CPK pizzas and they were amazing! Mind you, it took time. In fact, he prepared the dough the night before and spent quite a bit of time assembling all the ingredients. But it was a fun process because everyone was sitting around the kitchen enjoying conversation while others chopped ingredients or checked the oven. Some things are simply worth the extra time and effort. If you are looking for something quick & easy, this isn't your cookbook. But if you want to take the time for great pizza, plus maybe add a little creativity of your own, the CPK cookbook is perfect. The salad recipes are wonderful, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars CPK at home, July 7 2003
This review is from: The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
My daughter and I love to eat at California Pizza Kitchen. she had often asked me to make the BBQ Chicken Pizza t home, but she always said it was not as good. I think her calling is to be a food critic, she can be harsh. On one of our stops she was wandering around during our wait to be seated. I saw her walking towrds me very fast with a book inher hand anda very excited look on her face. She practically knocked off my glasses whipping the book in front of my face. She begged meto get it, "Now you can make GOOD pizza. Almost knockedher inthehead with it, but instead I bought it. Some of the recipes seem eloborate, but the finished product is so worth it. I can also play around some with the recipes and add or subtract some ingredients, as of yet that personal touch has not ruined the pizza. If you enjoy CPK or have ever wished to know what goes in to your favorite this is a cookbook you use over and over. You can now buy certian CPK's in the freezer section of your grocers, they are alright, but I do not like the taste of frozen pizza.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complicated recipes, but a fun book, April 7 2003
This review is from: The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
"The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook" is a great book to read, with interesting notes about the great pizzas served at the California Pizza Kitchen restaurants along with interesting recipes of the pizzas. The recipes appear complicated, with a long list of ingredients one might not have stocked in their home, but it is somewhat of an adventure to test out the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elaborate recipes but well worth the effort!, Dec 30 2002
This review is from: The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
I had never heard or been to CPK when this book was given to me. I followed the recipes, and although they call for numerous ingredients, the results are fantastic. The pizza dough recipe is time consuming because you need 2 days to prepare it, but it's worth the effort. Last June, I was in California and went to CPK for the first time. I was surprised to see the results from the book are very very similar to the real thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BUT TIME CONSUMING, Feb. 6 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
Recipes were excellent and easy to follow, although they were very very time consuming. Since I did not have 1/2 the ingredients, and the dough takes forever, but the final result is EXACTLY like the pizzas at the restaurant. My family was very impressed, and didn't beleive that I had made the pizza! I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Able to Make These Pizzas I Love to Order!, Jan. 10 2002
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
We're blessed to have a CPK in our metro area and we usually eat there everytime we go to that mall. There pizza is just so unique and tasty and the service is great there too!
I can't quite believe that here in one source are recipes for my favorites: BBQ Chicken, Tandoori Chicken,and Peking Duck.
There are many more, along with soup and salads and pasta, etc.
Outstanding unique one to have in your collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars tasty, but time consuming, Dec 17 2001
This review is from: The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
To be fair, the food comes out exactly as it does in the restaurants, which is what you want a restaurant cook book to do, but the recipies are very time consuming and call for ingredients you probably don't have at home. If you really love their food, and I do, than you will probably get a bit of use out of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars tasty, but time consuming, Dec 17 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, but not everyday stuff, April 20 2000
This review is from: The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook (Hardcover)
For those of you who don't know CPK, it is a chain of pizzarestaurants in the USA. (There may be some abroad, I don't know.) Theyproduce gourmet pizza including some very unusual recipes which taste remarkably good. If you're after something to impress a weekend casual dinner guest, or just fancy some adventurous cooking, this is the book for you. However, some of the ingredients can be fairly expensive or hard to find. This is not a book for your workday evening meal. No complaints about the recipes I've tried so far; They've all been very good. Picture-by-picture instructions on how to 'throw' a pizza provides a lot of fun. Make sure you have a very clean floor...or ceiling!

The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook
The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook by Rick Rosenfield (Hardcover - Dec 4 1995)
CDN$ 23.99 CDN$ 17.51