5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
I am not actually a vegan, but I try to limit dairy.. I like this book it does not include meat analogs which I do not like. Everything we have tried so far is delicious and tasty. I would highly recommend this book at an "everyday" cookbook. I don't own a pressure cooker, but she give you directions for both!
Great book, highly recommended
Published on July 31 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero Stars Cookbook without Pictures
One expects pictures in a cook book especially if you are looking to learn something new. It's hard know if it is not something you would like to prepare without a presentation. If you are very experienced at cooking great it has lots of pages of text, but I found it useless in helping me with vegetarian cooking. Sorry if it sounds so trivial, but a cookbook with out...
Published on Jan. 17 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, July 31 2002
Great book, highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Cookbook!, May 9 2000
If I could only keep one of my cookbooks, this would probably be the one. A wonderful cookbook for anyone, especially (but not only) vegetarians, vegans and those who wants to eat less animal products. Delicious and practical.
This book got me hooked on using a pressure cooker (though you don't need one to use it) and I now use the pressure cooker all the time! I liked this book so much I even wrote to the author to ask what pressure cooker to get, and the Magafesa, which she recommended, is a delight to use, entirely safe, and super-fast. But you don't need to own a pressure cooker to benefit from this mouthwatering recipes here.
This book was orginally published in hardcover as RECIPES FROM AN ECOLOGICAL KITCHEN so if you are searching for that book you have just found it. I truly envy those who are about to discover this wonderful cookbook for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!, Feb. 24 2009
Giovanni (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen (Paperback)
Everything we have made from this book has turned out amazingly well. The pressure cooker versions of each recipe feature staggeringly short cooking times but we've found that the stovetop instructions are also quick and pretty easy to follow. The recipes feature a wide variety of ingredients and do not depend on soy products as so many vegetarian cookbooks do - I am not a vegetarian so I find that meat "alternatives" are usually gross, here ingredients are allowed to shine for what they are, not merely as substitutions. The index and overall design make it easy to navigate and the text is just the right size. Our cupboard of dried beans has been sitting there for years because I couldn't find reliable, thorough info about soaking and cooking times - with this book we're finally ready to start getting to them ... the included charts are perfect! Sass has struck a delicate balance between familiar and new territory - most of the ingredients were already in our cupboards but have never been combined like this. This is absolutely the best book that I have seen on the subject, it quickly took pride of place on our shelf beside The Joy of Cooking and The Spice and Herb Bible; it's become indispensable!

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a wonderful cookbook., Dec 25 2003
This review is from: Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen (Paperback)
it took a while, but after purchasing this book, i finally purchased a pressure cooker, and, can i tell you, what a valuble purchase it was! the recipes in this book are easy, healthful, and most amazingly fast. i have made soups that retain amazing flavor and nutitional value and cook in under 10 minutes. of course, you will have to buy a pressure cooker, but it is worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite cookbooks!, Aug. 10 2002
merrymousies (Waterford, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I looooove this cookbook! It inspired me to buy others by Lorna Sass. The recipes are delicious, you can cook them in a pressure cooker (she includes instructions for that) or on the stove top. I've done some of them in the slow cooker too - they all turn out wonderful. The spices are right on target, the ingedients are interesting but not weird, everyone has raved about the things I've cooked from here. Two rhumbs up. I'm buying copies for friends as gifts as I write this (especially for friends who think vegetarian cooking is limiting) This one is terrific!~

5.0 out of 5 stars Fluffiest vegan cake I've ever tasted!, May 24 2000
I've been a vegan for 10 years, but her Lemon Poppy Seed Cake is the fluffiest vegan cake I've ever tasted. I also love the Nut Pie Pastry! Not only do her deserts taste great, I like it that she uses as much whole wheat flour as possible and not too much oil or sugar.
I own a lot of vegan cookbooks, but almost always use this book, because her recipes always taste great! The only thing we haven't been happy with is that we don't like our food very seasoned. But I found out that even when I leave out the ginger, tarragon, salt and pepper, the meals still taste great. Lorna Sass is very good at combining the right kind of vegetables to create great taste. I use the pressure cooker for most of her recipes and love it that I can just throw some ingredients in it and have a great meal when I open the cooker again! We love her Barbecue-Style Tempeh Sauce, the Chickpea Vegetable Medley, the Tarragon Risotto with Mushrooms and Leeks (wow!) all the squash dishes and I could go on and on. I have never made so many recipes from a single cookbook! I'm also getting a lot of complements from meat eaters that usually don't really like to taste anything I make! I love this cookbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unreserved recommendation from a reluctant cook, Oct. 14 1999
If you've ever wondered how to turn grains like millet into delicious dishes, this is the book for you! Healthy, vegetarian whole food which is easy to cook and tastes delicious. As a newly married vegetarian I was nervous about cooking for my non-veggie husband, and browsed endless books looking for one which seemed to have simple yet interesting recipes, and which explained what to DO with quinoa, tempeh, and other healthy but strange ingredients. This was the best of my many buys, and one of the few books I still use every week.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, May 21 1999
By A Customer
My parents bought me this book when I first made the transition from meat-eater to veganism. It's frustrating to look through "healthy" vegetarian cookbooks and find recipes with a generous handful of cheese, a couple cups of buttermilk, and a couple of eggs. No wonder non-vegetarians like these books... they're barely different from what they're eating now, nutritionally speaking. But Lorna Sass has written one in a million. It's healthy and so good! And it's got everything. Wonderful soups, all the basics- like hummus, and fantasitc whole grain desserts. Whenever we need a good recipe for a special occasion or want something that we don't take the time for everyday- we consult this book. In addition, it provides great information on all the ingredients. While most of the recipes require too much effort for everyday cooking, it's definitely a book that belongs in everyone's cookbook collection... vegetarian or not. And believe me- it's been approved by all the picky meat-eaters in my family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cookbook I have ever purchaced, May 15 1999
By A Customer
Before I had purchaced this cookbook, I had never considered buying a pressure cooker. Now I have 2! There are so many incredible tasting, low fat recipies here, I never run out of possibilities! I have since bought 6 more copies and given them to others as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Earthy cookbook with a lifetime's worth of recipes, April 20 1998
By A Customer
Grabbing the overused, stained-in-a-cliche-way cookbook, my close friend is excited to cook something created by Lorna whom he calls "a goddess." He is crazy about her unusual, earthy, easy-to-follow, healthy recipes. She has seduced him into buying his first pressure cooker--which he loves dearly, and into cooking vegan meals. The recipes are diverse and delicious, also. If you've got an All-American craving for franks and beans, Lorna's found a way to make tofu dogs fulfill your dreams. For those who love Asian stir-fries and noodle dishes, there are simple recipes using the zesty and rich flavors of sesame oil, ginger, tamari, etc. To impress your friends, use one of Lorna's rice casserole dishes. Throw a bunch of ingredients into the pressure cooker, wait a few minutes, and you're ready. The best thing about Lorna's book is the cross-referencing potential. You've got some quinoa, some greens, some pinto beans, and other random ingredients, but you don't know how to blend it all tastefully or how to cook quinoa. Check out the bean and grain cooking time charts, and it's very likely if you search the index you'll find something calling for at least a few of the ingredients you need to use up. Where does quinoa come from anyway? The "Ingredients A to Z" section of Complete Vegetarian Kitchen will give you a history on quinoa, and tell you how to store it! Whatever Lorna journey you embark on with your pressure cooker is going to be a delicious one, a meal that comes to life from the pages of her cookbook. I wish only there were photographs!

Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen
Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen by Lorna J Sass (Paperback - Jan. 24 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 6.07