5.0 out of 5 stars Disagree with secularkangaroo
I have read Dr. Shaw's wise, wonderful book and wish everyone I know with kids would read it. I have friends whose lives and households are absolutely dominated by their infants or toddlers - who can't eat, shower, wash dishes, have a quiet evening with their spouses or do anything normal because they are so obsessed with gratifying every want expressed by their small...
Published on May 19 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
I'll begin with what I like about this book: The chapter called "The Truth and Consequences of Child Care" is a well done illustration of the rock and the hard place parents are driven to today in order to provide for their children while they are very young.
The rest of the book is a suave combination of good advice, observations that should be obvious to anyone,...
Published on Jan. 31 2004 by Penny Thoughtful

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be required reading for all parents, Oct. 28 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Epidemic: The Rot of American Culture, Absentee and Permissive Parenting, and the Resultant Plague of Joyless, Selfish Children (Hardcover)
As a parent I found this 'tough love' approach incredibly helpful. Doctor Shaw has identified an enormous problem, explained the causes and articulated methods and tools and rules towards solving that problem. We are mapping a new course with our kids and feeling confident with the choices we're making, thanks to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for this book!, Oct. 27 2003
Susan (California) - See all my reviews
It's about time that someone finally wrote about how parents aren't "parents" anymore - they are so busy working, dating, buying they don't have time for their kids anymore and so, rather than be parents, they try to be their kids' friend instead. This doesn't work and the kids are really suffering for it. They don't know the meaning of the word "no"; have no tolerance for frustration, can't see others' points of view, and as Dr. Shaw says, they have no empathy. Just this week in People magazine are stories about how teen hazing is getting out of control - these kids can't even see what they're doing. Please get this book for every parent you know, and if you are a parent yourself, please buy it and read it now. We as a society need to hear this call to action and do something now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book for every parent you know, Oct. 11 2003
A Reader (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Well - someone is finally saying it - all this permissive parenting has got to stop. I, like many people, am sick of seeing kids throwing tantrums, backtalking and rolling their eyes, treating their parents and everyone else with total disrespect. I am also sick of watching parents do nothing about it - they are too tired, too busy, too uninvolved with their kids to discipline them and demand or deserve respect. Everyone needs to wake up, and Dr. Shaw is finally here with what he calls, not a "how-to" book, but a "what is necessary" book - kudos to Dr. Shaw for telling it like it is and helping parents, grandparents and even aunts and uncles help their kids to be happy, productive and a pleasure to be around. Buy this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!, Oct. 7 2003
This book is one of the best parenting books I have ever read. It is a key read for anyone about to have children and those who already do. I admire Dr. Shaw's honesty and boldness about each topic. It is about time that someone told it like it is about over indulgent guilt ridden parents who care more about their agendas than the effort it takes to raise healthy, secure, happy children. This book will be the gift I give all new parents or maybe I will give it at wedding showers so they read it before they become parents...

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT AND SHARE IT WITH EVERYONE, Oct. 1 2003
By A Customer
Buy this book even if you have to save money to do so. The words were like music to my ears. The message is strong and clear but only if we take the responsibility to do something about today's attitudes of today's kids and us - the parents. Back talking, poor judgement, sassy, loud mouth kids who act just like their parents, are making it cool to have an "attitude" that is ruining our country and our complete souls. PLEASE do yourself a favor and buy it and give it away to as many people as possible. One other book that helps parents realize that chores and responsibilties will surely save one's sanity in family life is Mommy-CEO, by Jodie Lynn. Mrs. Lynn is a parenting/family columnist and shares similar ideas - and a few different topics - when it comes to unscheduling and undoing the "me" syndrome. Buy them both and get smart while getting a handle on your family for everyone's future. Wow - this is great! Thank God for these authors!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it's about time, Oct. 1 2003
By A Customer
During the past 10 years, I've had countless encounters with completely uncontrolled, screaming, demanding children on a weekly - if not daily - basis. This is particularly strange since I am neither a parent, nanny or daycare provider. I have seen downright frightening tantrums everywhere I venture in public, from the grocery store to expensive restaurants to my office.
These encounters became so common that I began to notice children who were well behaved and polite as the exception; I began to congratulate parents with children who said something as basic as "hello" or "thank you," and felt tempted to gush if a 10-year-old held a door open for me.
All the while, it was the children for whom I felt most sorry - who were often clearly tired, had rarely if ever heard the word "no" in their brief lives, who cursed and swore at their parents. I could not fathom how on earth they were supposed to go about becoming happy, functional, satisfied adults.
Reading this book was such a relief to me, to know that my observations had been shared with others and, finally, a doctor! It was so refreshing to read a book that questions the completely permissive parenting I've witnessed so many times, and that focuses on the effects of this on the children who cannot know, at such young ages, to ask for discipline, for structure, for parents they can respect.
Parents I know - and here I mean those who have disciplined and punished their children as necessary and often been frowned upon for it - have found this book reinforcing. They've known, deep down, that they were doing a good job - the fact that their children are well behaved and polite and friendly is a testament to this. However, they've found it difficult not to question their methods when other parents glare at them in the grocery line for refusing to cave to demands for gum, candy and toys.
Despite the somewhat startling title of this book, it is an honest one, and this book is just that: honest, yet hopeful for the changes and results that can be brought about by parents doing their jobs. It doesn't take a shrink or medication to raise a happy, healthy, balanced and respectful child.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all parents and parents-to-be, Sept. 28 2003
cjfan "cjfan" (los angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Robert Shaw, M.D. has finally put into words what we've all been thinking - that many of today's children are out of control, spoiled, unhappy, mannerless brats whose parents stand by helplessly as their kids throw tantrums and misbehave. In this thought-provoking book, Dr. Shaw shows us what is going wrong and why. But all is not despair, as Dr. Shaw also gives us the roadmap to put our kids back on track to becoming loving, relatable and enjoyable children. This is a must-read for all parents, grandparents, friends and relatives - and for parents-to-be who are full of questions about how to raise children in today's difficult world. Kudos to Dr. Shaw for raising difficult issues in today's overly permissive world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled Kids become Adult Monsters, Oct. 20 2003
By A Customer
I've seen multiple generations in my family, of spoiled, over-indulged, no boundary kids grown up into Adult Monsters. And it was an upper crust family too.
My grandma's brothers and sisters were spoiled, over-indulged, and they drank and partied away their inheritances, didn't persue any education, were spoiled good-ole-boys who never amounted to much beyond being a mooch living off some gal. Where were their parents? Their parents worked like dogs on their huge farm. The ones that were responsible---guess what? they married spoiled, irresponsible leaches that quickly destroyed their spouse's inheritances. When there was a death in this upper-crust family, guess what? Other parts of the family would break in during the funeral to steal coveted family momentos. Oh the fighting that went on for little bits of property, and momentos. Educations were not persued, finances not budgeted, no skills were learned because all people could think about was someday inheriting and not having to work (???). The oldest child in each generation seemed to take over the parenting, but the other kids ran amok.
The next generation had the same mentality, and again, the oldest child became the parent. Again, the parents were working like dogs...but the kids were never made to mind, or to develop discipline. I saw my aunt and uncle, at 65 years old, trying to extort money out of my 92-year-old grandfather for the phone bill, (this bill/that bill/this new money-making scheme ) because my aunt and uncle had never bothered to learn money management, develop education, etc. because they'd never had to, and always counted on landing a big windfall through inheritance. They were so spoiled, that they did not want to take time to bring the 90-year-old grandparents food, even though they lived 15 minutes away, bringing about malnutrition and quickened death through diabetes and cancer.
I saw one aunt use her children as emotional-surrogate lovers, letting them run amok, no rules or boundaries, while her husband ran off. Everytime she needed bailouts for her shop-a-holicism, she'd try to blackmail her parents or her ex, and the kids learned from that and never stopped.
Her kids are in their 40's now, and repeating it all over again, financially bilking their grandparents using extortion and blackmail. One son attached himself to his paternal granma to "help" her, since he can't hold a job, and ran up 10's of thousands of dollars with her charge cards, his preteens were sporting her gold jewelry --"gifts", and cleaned out the house after she died---he's now doing this to the other 92-year-old granma. He got her to buy him a house and she is now supporting him and his family. (We've tried to get the state to step in, but they have her intimidated, as they've got her living with them---they also have a pet attorney.)
I've seen so many people use their children as date/friend-surrogates, instead of parenting them. The child eventually pays for this as they never learn any discipline to build a nice life (do your homework, do chores), instead learning other parenting tools of emotional blackmail and extortion. How can a child turn out right, when they learn to charm or tantrum their way out of chores and responsibilities? That destroys the very tools that will build a great life.
Yes, I have seen single mothers who have parented their sons to be moral, productive, helpful, charismatic, non-manipulative, sane adult men who are now approaching their 40's. These gals should help write a book on how to parent.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's the problem?, Oct. 24 2003
Cladinoro (The Eastern States) - See all my reviews
This author would seem to be onto something in their analysis of some of the ways in which our children are being raised to be joyless and selfish. My concern is, that after all the progress that civilisation has made over such a long period to get things where they are now, should we be poking holes in the standards and norms of our society, just when we've got it how we want it, and it's working most smoothly? It's all very well to be saying that we shouldn't be raising joyless, selfish children, but if we don't raise them like this, how are our they going to function in our society? If we raise joyFUL, selfLESS children, who will be the willing lawyers, accountants, factory workers, computer scientists etc. of the future? We all know that joyful, selfless children are unemployable, and fall by the wayside, as the more evolutionarily adapted members of society push them out of the picture. If joyfulness and selflessness were the norm, our society as we know it would crumble. Perhaps we should think about that before we go finding fault with the way things are, because they're like that for a reason.