5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for a great price!!
In preparing our list of Christmas books to share with others, we had to search far and wide on amazon to find this particular book, a paperback edition of the classic Night Before Christmas.
This is the book I've used for years when reading this story to my own children, passing on Tasha Tudor and other illustrators. Why?
Although we can find the same poem and...
Published on Nov. 1 2000 by Quaker Annie

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice book - too bad poor binding wrecks the effect
Lovely illustrated book. It is too bad that out of the 16 views (32 pages side by side) 3 of them have been miss-binded so that the image of another page is visible at the spine. For example on the 4 pages that have Santa in the living room, there is a 1/2 cm margin at the spine where you see the winter night scene of pages later in the book. This means in the middle...
Published on Dec 9 2010 by CanMD

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for a great price!!, Nov. 1 2000
Although we can find the same poem and pay a lot more, with award winning illustrators, the illustrations provided by Douglas Gorsline are surely the best. They are quite colorful, and offer details little children love looking into...cats lie sleepily on the window sill, we see an overview of the town, the presents spilling from the open sack are intriguing and plentiful, and Jolly St. Nick is -- well, quite Jolly (as you can see by looking at the cover!)
The story is an "abridged version" - I'm not sure about other parents, but we read this on Christmas Eve, and we only have so much time and energy. Everything we remember from the classic poem by Clement Clarke Moore is in this version.
(From "'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse" to "He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle, And away they all flew like the down of a thistle. But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,"HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!" In between we have everything, from the names of the eight tiny reindeer, to a belly that shakes like a bowl full of jelly, including dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly, when they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky".
In other words, don't be scared off by 'abridged'!)
Perhaps a hardcover edition might be more appropriate if you're giving a gift (unless you're giving to more than one child), but this book is one of the best offers we've found!
A classic done simply and inexpensively!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Family Gift, Aug. 18 2003
Kathleen H. "kathehemmer2" (Syracuse, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Before Christmas (Hardcover)
The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore, with illustrations
by Mary Engelbreit, is the perfect Family gift or chidren's present.The poetic tale of The Night Before Christmas, can become a lovely custom to sit and read with a child during the hectic days preceding the Holiday.
Every family should own this classic tale that never tires children.The illustrations are magnificent in this book, but not too
sophisticated for children.It could be any era, not just 1820.
I remember with nostalgic pleasure having this read to me,
until I began to recognize the words and reading it to myself on a nightly basis.
I am sure another generation of children will be thrilled
with this book,and their parents will likely feel the same
with the memories it invokes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book., Oct. 15 2003
This review is from: The Night Before Christmas (Hardcover)
I am a huge Engelbreit fan, and I just love this book. Every page is dazzling. My two year old loves it as well; he just gets lost in every illustration. He points to this and that and just can't get enough of just LOOKING. Engelbreit's bright colors and attention to detail just shine in this book. They just don't come any better than this!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely beautiful book, Nov. 11 2003
John (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Couldn't recommend this edition highly enough. The illustrations are beautiful and bring the magic of Christmas to life for both young and old. It truly is an heirloom edition made all the more special by the brass christmas stocking bookmark.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic story, Jan. 29 2010
With the night before Christmas you usually know what you are getting. I like the book but wish the pictures were brighter. I know i know it is supposed to be night but it is a childrens book and in the story even says it is bright like midday from the new snow. Santa is so dark he looks burgundy even beside the brightly lit Christmas tree. They also could have been a but more creative in their pictures. Just an average book but the price was good.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Beautiful Book, Jan. 2 2002
Elizabeth Payne (Fairport, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Gorgeous...that is the best word to describe this book.
Christian Birmingham's illustrations create the pictures of the story that we all have in our heads...but alas, cannot paint ourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Night Before Christmas, Nov. 13 2001
D. Evert (Mazomanie, WI USA) - See all my reviews
What makes this book different from the rest of the Night Before Christmas books is the illustrations. The pictures are that of a traditional victorian home. The detail is incredible. Purchasing this book is probably one of the best buys I have ever made. We enjoy this book not only every day in December, but throughout the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book looks so authentic it resembles the real thing!, Nov. 1 1999
By A Customer
The Night Before Christmas-or A visit by St. Nicholas is a Christmas poem that is a must-read piece of literature. This particular version- is a reproduction of the original copy. The illustrations and print are absolutely beautiful . It takes the reader back in time to an era which truly captivates the real meaning of Christmas through the eyes of an innocent child. This classic work can be read over and over by anyone at any age. This particular version will add to anyone's heirloom Christmas collections and will no doubt be left on display for all to enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A CHRISTMAS TREASURE, Oct. 28 2010
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Who could resist a book illustrated by Tomie dePaola? Certainly not anyone at our house. Through the years his name on a cover draws us as few other children's book illustrators do. He received the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure - how appropriate! For so many parents and youngsters he is, indeed, a living treasure. His other honors include the Caldecott Honor Award and the Newbery Honor Award. Today reproductions of art from his books are found in many galleries.

This traditional Christmas story comes to life once again thanks to Mr. dePaola. He has set the story in New Hampshire circa 1840, and found inspiration for the page borders from designs for New England quilts (some from his personal collection).

It's wonderful to have this sturdy board book edition to be enjoyed over and over again by young eyes and hands. It's a generous size so the art work can be fully appreciated - from the toy soldier peeping out of Santa's pack to the cat snoozing on the hearth.

Mr. dePaola has been published for some 40 years, and we're hoping for 40 more.

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars MY UNCLES VERY BEST, Nov. 28 1998
By A Customer
Clement C. Moore is my Great Uncle . From what I understand via my family, he wrote this and gave it to the city of New York as a gift one might say. My family has never profited financially from its popularity but we know that it brings so much love and happiness to others during this time of year, we profit every time a child reads it for the first time. I am curious to know of anyone who may have details of my uncle that may be little known. This story has been under my families tree and read at our tables for so many years. My name is Allison Cross and I live in Arizona. When I read this poem I feel like I am at home by the fire with snow on the ground and eggnog on my breath, I long for the snow during these times and reading Clements works eases me and enables me to imagine the traditional Christmas that makes this time of year so special to me. Please E-mail me with any comments or stories you may have about this work.(DAMATHEY @prodigy.com) " Merry Christmas to all...."

The Night Before Christmas
The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore (Hardcover - Sept. 19 2002)
CDN$ 19.50 CDN$ 14.08