5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, varied, and delicious recipes
Published on Dec 17 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Laura's Cook Books are just OK
If you like Laura, go for it. If you want good French recipes; look on the web. I would not buy this again.
Published 4 months ago by RegularCustomer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, varied, and delicious recipes, Dec 17 2003
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
I first found this book in the library, and was enjoying cooking from it so much that I didn't want to take it back. I've gone and gotten myself a copy, and cooked many of the recipes from it, and each one has been delicious and fairly simple to make. The instructions are clear, and as others have mentioned, she's a very engaging and amusing writer. I have a lot of cookbooks, but this has quickly become a favorite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but a few minor problems, June 29 2003
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
I really loved this book for the most part - it is well written and her recipes are not complicated. She makes french food seem less intimidating. I have made the Salmon Camembert (delicious), Wine Sausages (easy and rich), Beet Stacks (impressive - a burst of different, complex flavors and very gorgeous to look at); as well as the Potato Gratin and The Lemon Tart Of My Dreams. The last two recipes have some minor problems - both were rather runny - especially the tart. The tart had the best flavor of any lemon tart I have ever had, but I was disappointed with the texture. It might either need to be cooked a little longer than the directions, it may need a thickener of some sort - or it may simply need to rest overnight in the refrigerator. I am not sure which is the best way to correct this. I will try it again and try to perfect this thing. The taste alone is worth the effort!
Other than those minor problems, everything in this book is doable and I will certainly be trying more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read and recipes!, Feb. 15 2003
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book both to read as well for its recipes and cooking advice. Laura Calder obviously enjoys feeding her friends good, simple and delicious food without any fuss - not difficult, ornate French dishes that may keep you in the kitchen all day . Her recipes are at the same time simple to understand, easy to execute and simply delicious. I have used her recipes to put together several dinner parties for my friends, and I didnt spend the day or the evening in the kitchen. Her writing is both warm an funny - an excellent read in itself! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook you'll actually use, April 20 2003
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
The real magic in this great book is that it's approachable and inventive. It's full of things you'll actually make. Things that taste good and look good. But don't let the simplicity fool you--the flavors are fresh and surprising. And Calder's heatnotes are a joy. Encore!

5.0 out of 5 stars A miracle of a cookbook, March 21 2003
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
Laura Calder has written a miraculous cookbook. She has taken the mystery and difficulty out of cooking French food at home. The recipes are inventive, clear and easy to make. And taste nothing short of fantastic. Plus, her writing style is engaging, knowledgable and eminently readable. I cannot recommend this book strongly enough for anyone who loves to food and loves to cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!, Oct. 17 2008
Brigitte De Roover "Bunnykins" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: French Food At Home (Paperback)
As a European (i'm from Belgium)i'm used to very good food. So when i moved to Canada and saw Laura Calder's TV cooking show i was very impressed by her approach to French recipes. Also she's very dry and funny so that made her show very popular in my book. so ofcourse i had to buy her book which is written in the same way as she talks on tv -to be honest if she would ve just written essays without recipes it would be equally enjoyable. I have tried several of the recipes and they are very easy with great results. Believe me when i say this is how they cook in France ...Thumbs up for this book , but please Laura next time include some photo's...

3.0 out of 5 stars Laura's Cook Books are just OK, April 7 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to do, March 7 2014
This review is from: French Food At Home (Paperback)
This is a great cookbook. Easy to follow and great tasting. Loved watching her show, but sadly it's not even in reruns, wish it was. I have made different recipes from her book and they were all very tasty. Easy as pie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Food, Nov. 13 2013
Jeanette Maselli "Dollhouse Miniatures" (White Plains, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: French Food At Home (Paperback)
I watch Her cooking show on TV and enjoy it so much. I have tried her dishes and they were delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars French Food at Homework, Oct. 17 2013
Loved both the TV series and the book. Am very happy with my purchase. Recommend the book to all my friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

French Food At Home
French Food At Home by Laura Calder (Paperback - June 23 2005)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43