5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, varied, and delicious recipes
Published on Dec 17 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Not sure how this book ever got published, I have not even made one recipe out of it. I have got it down from the shelf but can't fine anything that makes me want to try to make, I do though I love French food but there are better books to be had.
Published on Dec 26 2012 by Jill Buckingham

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, varied, and delicious recipes, Dec 17 2003
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
I first found this book in the library, and was enjoying cooking from it so much that I didn't want to take it back. I've gone and gotten myself a copy, and cooked many of the recipes from it, and each one has been delicious and fairly simple to make. The instructions are clear, and as others have mentioned, she's a very engaging and amusing writer. I have a lot of cookbooks, but this has quickly become a favorite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but a few minor problems, June 29 2003
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
I really loved this book for the most part - it is well written and her recipes are not complicated. She makes french food seem less intimidating. I have made the Salmon Camembert (delicious), Wine Sausages (easy and rich), Beet Stacks (impressive - a burst of different, complex flavors and very gorgeous to look at); as well as the Potato Gratin and The Lemon Tart Of My Dreams. The last two recipes have some minor problems - both were rather runny - especially the tart. The tart had the best flavor of any lemon tart I have ever had, but I was disappointed with the texture. It might either need to be cooked a little longer than the directions, it may need a thickener of some sort - or it may simply need to rest overnight in the refrigerator. I am not sure which is the best way to correct this. I will try it again and try to perfect this thing. The taste alone is worth the effort!
Other than those minor problems, everything in this book is doable and I will certainly be trying more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read and recipes!, Feb. 15 2003
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book both to read as well for its recipes and cooking advice. Laura Calder obviously enjoys feeding her friends good, simple and delicious food without any fuss - not difficult, ornate French dishes that may keep you in the kitchen all day . Her recipes are at the same time simple to understand, easy to execute and simply delicious. I have used her recipes to put together several dinner parties for my friends, and I didnt spend the day or the evening in the kitchen. Her writing is both warm an funny - an excellent read in itself! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook you'll actually use, April 20 2003
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
The real magic in this great book is that it's approachable and inventive. It's full of things you'll actually make. Things that taste good and look good. But don't let the simplicity fool you--the flavors are fresh and surprising. And Calder's heatnotes are a joy. Encore!

5.0 out of 5 stars A miracle of a cookbook, March 21 2003
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
Laura Calder has written a miraculous cookbook. She has taken the mystery and difficulty out of cooking French food at home. The recipes are inventive, clear and easy to make. And taste nothing short of fantastic. Plus, her writing style is engaging, knowledgable and eminently readable. I cannot recommend this book strongly enough for anyone who loves to food and loves to cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!, Oct. 17 2008
Brigitte De Roover "Bunnykins" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: French Food At Home (Paperback)
As a European (i'm from Belgium)i'm used to very good food. So when i moved to Canada and saw Laura Calder's TV cooking show i was very impressed by her approach to French recipes. Also she's very dry and funny so that made her show very popular in my book. so ofcourse i had to buy her book which is written in the same way as she talks on tv -to be honest if she would ve just written essays without recipes it would be equally enjoyable. I have tried several of the recipes and they are very easy with great results. Believe me when i say this is how they cook in France ...Thumbs up for this book , but please Laura next time include some photo's...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 'French Food at Home', Oct. 17 2009
March Rose "'Dom'" (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: French Food At Home (Hardcover)
I've read the whole book since receiving it recently and I love it. If you love the TV show and if you love Laura Calder or even if you haven't seen the show, but like cooking, you won't be disappointed. Laura offers good recipes; her personal insights and ideas make you feel like the two of you are friends. The two recipes I tried were good and I will make them again. I liked the book so much, I ordered her new book!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, Aug. 29 2009
Chelsey Assailly (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: French Food At Home (Paperback)
I love Laura's show on the Food Network, and this book is a perfect representaion of all her charms in writing. The recipies are easy and presented in a way that stimulates the senses as well as the imagination.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to recreate, Jan. 16 2012
This review is from: French Food At Home (Paperback)
Laura has an ease in her recipes that allows the home cook to recreate these recipes at home. Many of the recipes use pantry and garden staples that we should have in our homes or if lucky in our gardens. If you don't have a garden they are easy to find at the local market. When I retired I made it a point to pick a cookbook and flip to a recipe make it for friends and family I can honestly say everyone loved when one of Laura's was chosen. Wither your a first time cook or a seasoned pro "French Food at Home" is a winner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, Aug. 31 2014
This review is from: French Food At Home (Paperback)
Gave it 4 stars because I think that the premise of each recipe is badly formatted and takes too much place in the book. It could have been better arranged in my opinion. But her recipes are great, did 2 of them already, but it took me a whole lot of time to choose the one I wanted to do because they all look yum!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

French Food At Home
French Food At Home by Laura Calder (Paperback - June 23 2005)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43