5.0 out of 5 stars Well written story by a good story teller
Published 26 days ago by Tosca68

3.0 out of 5 stars I stopped caring after the wedding
Maybe I missed something, not finishing the book through, but I lost interest after the main characters married. After pages of how they spent their honeymoon and how happy they were bored me and I saw little or no chance of interesting conflict arising.

Published on Jan. 16 2007 by Empy

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written story by a good story teller, June 5 2015
I am currently reading this book for the third time. It's my favourite of the Wallflowers series. Set in early Victorian England, the story is about an impoverished young woman living on the edge of society. In order to save her family from utter destitution she must find and marry a wealthy peer. At a house party at the country home of the Earl of Westcliff she sets her sights on the gentle, scholarly( he's a bit of a botanist) Lord Kendall.

She reckons without her growing attraction to Simon Hunt, a butcher's son who represents the growing entrepreneurial middle class. Simon has made his wealth through smart investments particularly in railways which were relatively new in 1843. Simon has been obsessed with Annabelle since he met(and kissed) her when she and her brother were attending a panorama about the fall of the Roman Empire.

There are some moments of real humour particularly in the encounters between Annabelle and Simon at the Westcliff estate country house party.

What I especially liked was the character development in the story, especially Annabelle who grows as a woman when she realizes that love can come unexpectedly and who learns that what you think you want isn't what you want at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars The entire series is worth the read., May 1 2010
This review is from: Secrets Of A Summer Night (Mass Market Paperback)
This book kicks off a series of 4 books. Well 5 if you count the Wallflower Christmas book. This particular book starts off a little slower than most Kleypas books but it's mostly to introduce all the characters you will come to know and love as the series moves on. My favourite in the series was Devil in Winter but I enjoyed all the others too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Number one, May 23 2014
Louise Daoust (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secrets Of A Summer Night (Mass Market Paperback)
This one is the start of the great serie that Lisa Kleypas wrote.

The four Young ladies meet fort the first time and they becomes friends for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Sept. 1 2014
loved it - will probebly read again sometime later

3.0 out of 5 stars I stopped caring after the wedding, Jan. 16 2007
This review is from: Secrets Of A Summer Night (Mass Market Paperback)

The novel up to that point was okay. Then female lead struck me as snobbish and stubborn, but she got over it pretty quickly. The male lead was piggish and conceited. He got over himself pretty quickly too. Too quickly for both, most likely, but at least it didn't drag there.

Secrets Of A Summer Night
Secrets Of A Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 30 2004)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54