5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
I love this book. Quick delivery.
Published 1 month ago by Ramona Morrow

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not overly impressed.
Marcella's opinionated and sometimes arrogant statements sometimes get in the way of making a good recipe a great recipe. For example, she frowns upon roasting beef bones before making broth claiming that this is far too strong a flavor for use in Italian cooking. While that may be true for a rissotto, for soup you need the rich color as well as the robust flavor. Mrs...
Published on May 23 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 30 2014
This review is from: Marcella Cucina (Hardcover)
I love this book. Quick delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A flood of Flavor, June 17 2007
This review is from: Marcella Cucina (Hardcover)
I own all of Marcella's books: this book contains many of my favorite recipes, as it is falling apart with familiarity. We have learned to taste over our time eating these recipes; we have developed a memory for the way that flavors mingle and generated new impressions in both the mind and mouth. Now, these same recipes are helping in another way: other cook books are seen in relationship to this benchmark cooking and the resulting tastes. I have learned to see in recipes the heart and mind of a cook. And that ability to discern taste is the most valuable lesson that all of Marcellas' books have to offer. These books have literally enriched our lives at home. When we travel, our noses do the talking and the smell of good food has convinced us to enter and to discover this reliance on our senses to direct our food investigations and discoveries has never let us down. And my cooking is getting better and better: friends are big fans and comment on the wonderful taste of the food. So, all of us are enjoying the pleasure of food thanks to Marcella Hazan. Her name is frequently mentioned by cooks/chefs who sight a handful of cooks who have helped to broaden their experience of food. Yet, how many people have yet to make her acquaintance? 'Cook like you love to cook', could well be her motto. For those of you who want to cook simply and taste deeply, these books are a good starting place. I have now a group of books and a group of cooks that I go back to time and time again. There is a sureness in my cooking that is related to this relationship of authors and readers. What a wonderful gift that comes through the printed page and into your mouth.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for gardener/cooks, June 15 2004
This review is from: Marcella Cucina (Hardcover)
I love this book. One of the things that makes food in Italy so delicious is they use and combine whatever ingredients happen to be in season. Marcella follows this tradition. I love to pick recipes out of this book and find that everything it calls for is available in my garden, and I can pick fresh and cook.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, April 28 2000
Eric J. Wu (cambridge, ma USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marcella Cucina (Hardcover)
Covers: Marcella's thoughts on ingredients and buying them, appetizers, soups, pasta (making and sauce) risotto and polenta, fish, poultry and rabbit, meat, vegetables, salads and desserts.
I liked the book, I find the recipes easy to follow and pretty tasty. I especially liked the beginning info on olive oil, and parmesan cheese. The book is not a northern italian or southern italian cookbook, it's sort of a mix of all over Italy, which is something to keep in mind. The pictures are very nice, and the quality of the book binding is very sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book, Jan. 17 2000
This review is from: Marcella Cucina (Hardcover)
This book is simply the best Italian cookbook ever made; it contains good, affordable recipes and directions that are the most complete that I have ever used.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my all-time favorites, Oct. 31 1999
This review is from: Marcella Cucina (Hardcover)
I adore this cookbook. The photographs are beautiful, the story behind each recipe is fascinating, the explanations are clear and the results are superb. I am awed by Marcella Hazan's ability to take simple ingredients and create fantastic results with sheer technique and attention to details, such as slicing vs. chopping garlic, sauteing certain ingredients for a long time and adding others for a short time, using butter here and olive oil there and even just plain vegetable oil at other times. There are two summer pasta sauces with nearly identical ingredients, and, as Marcella points out, completely different results. I have made almost all of the sauces and none have been less than delicious. I have discovered the joy of pancetta thanks to this book. I have learned how to make risotto, very good and not all that difficult. Now I am venturing into the meats - the beef stew with capers, cornichons and pancetta was amazing. I have learned alot about good cooking from this book, and not just of Italian food. Marcella's cooking is alive and accessible and completely masterful at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful recipes full of flavour, May 23 1999
This review is from: Marcella Cucina (Hardcover)
I bought this book thru Amazon before it was distributed in New Zealand and recommended to friends to get this book when it came out here. The recipes are great - easy to follow and taste fantastic. Many of the pasta sauces are easy and quick to do after a long day at work, and I save the long slow cooking ones for the weekend. The prawn & orange salad is fantastic - great for a summertime Christmas, and the peach, berry and sparkling wine fruit salad is also a big hit. Veal patties, fricassed chicken, vegetables..I could go on. Just a note on the political correctness comments - Marcella was a woman of her time and culture - different from modern New Zealanders and Americans, so cooking for her husband should be put in context. Anyway, cooking food is about love for your family and friends and I think that is what she was focusing on rather than 'serving her husband'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Woman's Pleasure, March 16 1999
This review is from: Marcella Cucina (Hardcover)
Marcella Hazan's cookbook is merely her devotion of living life. She loves food, she loves her husband and wants to make him happy. It makes her happy. Her book offers recipes to enjoy italian food and life. One has to be passionate such as Marcella to understand food. To judge Marcella's joy of giving good food to her husband is her own and that of the old country. However, she seems to be happy so maybe she's doing something right that some with overly feministic minds are incapable of understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marcella does it again, March 22 1998
This review is from: Marcella Cucina (Hardcover)
Despite the comments of some readers who found Marcella's devotion to cooking for her husband troublesome, I found it to be quite touching. The goal of women's liberation was not for us to give up such potentially creative tasks as cooking but to give us choices! I choose to cook because I love it and this book with it's rich descriptions, beautiful design and wonderful receipes reminds me why I love to cook...it's a satisfying, sensual experience. By the way, my husband loves my cooking too! Thanks Marcella.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, politically incorrect, March 3 1998
This review is from: Marcella Cucina (Hardcover)
Like another reviewer, I too was a bit bothered by the the author's constant attempts to please her husband. To put it succinctly: if he didn't like what she cooked, he should have prepared his own meals! This said, the recipes are fabulous. She includes a description of slow cooking an onion which left me drooling. She is obviously an excellent teacher, and that quality alone makes this book a great buy.

Marcella Cucina
Marcella Cucina by Marcella Hazan (Hardcover - Aug. 28 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 7.46