‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional education for all, Jan. 10 2014
M. Dunlop - See all my reviews
This review is from: Missing Piece Meet Big O (Hardcover)
What to look for in a relationship? A great little parable for all ages. I don't actually like anything else I read by Shel Silverstein, but this one is very excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, June 5 2005
This review is from: Missing Piece Meet Big O (Hardcover)
i love this book and have given it to many of my friends. it tells a great story in the simplest terms

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, Encouraging, and Personal, June 19 2003
"amberraed" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Missing Piece Meet Big O (Hardcover)
Whether simply a children's book or an adult self-help book, this one is a gem! Adorable simplistic line drawings that make you wonder how an artist is able to create such an expressive characters out of basic circle shapes. Matched with a story that can be taken lightly or taken to heart.
Really, this is the journey of a character becoming a "whole" person...independantly being able to "roll" by itself. It also hints that to be happy in a relationship you must be your own independantly happy person...you can't rely on others to complete your deficiencies.
Anyone who is a "relationship leapfrog" needs to read this book. It may even make you cry-and probably will make you laugh-at the similarities with your own experiences. It is also appropriate for children...it is never to early to introduce someone to lifelong happiness, independance, and stability.
Rolling along...

5.0 out of 5 stars So great!, June 28 2002
This review is from: Missing Piece Meet Big O (Hardcover)
A very inspirational and loving story. Quick read, with a simple message.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, April 27 2002
Annabelle (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Missing Piece Meet Big O (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book. A fellow co-worker was passing it around because he had received it as a gift and I really connected with it. The message is simple and the book isn't too preachy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Feb. 15 2002
This review is from: Missing Piece Meet Big O (Hardcover)
My girlfriend just gave me this book for Valentine's Day yesterday and I think it is one of the most beautiful books I have read. We had talked once about how we were looking for the piece that would fit with us, like that Lego piece that would finish the construction perfectly. It made her think of this book, which she had read when she was younger. The story is so sweet, but also very meaningful, because the Missing Piece learns to be complete all by itself and not have to fit itself into some other whole that isn't quite perfect. And I like to think that the Piece and the Big O live happily ever after. It is a great lesson for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it with "The Missing Piece"!, Oct. 24 2001
Tivor (Los Angeles, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Missing Piece Meet Big O (Hardcover)
I bought this book along with "The Missing Piece" almost 10 years ago, when I was in college. My friend introduced me to those books, and I had to get my own copies. In fact, a good number of people among my circle of friends got their own copies as well.
I think those two books are the only "children's books" I have in my possession, but they are among the most touching and most memorable of all the books I own and read. And even though they're labeled as children's books (and they sure look that way too), I feel they're a better fit (haha, no pun intended) for grown-ups.
If you plan on getting this book (as you well should), then definitely get "The Missing Piece" as well. I don't think the story and the message of The Missing Piece fable is complete with just one book. You gotta get both books to fully appreciate it.
Highest utmost recommendations. God, I love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, yet so huge in its message, Oct. 17 2001
This review is from: Missing Piece Meet Big O (Hardcover)
Shel Silverstein, by writing books for kids, has shed a new and beautiful light over some of the most typical adult problems. In "The Missing Piece Meets the Big O" he goes into the basics of a relationship. Simply put, you can't love others until you love and accept yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sexy Side of Shel?, July 28 2001
Joseph T. Thomas, Jr. (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Missing Piece Meet Big O (Hardcover)
Though I agree with all of your sentiments, I think it's important to realize that Ol' Shel was also making a clever (if dirty) joke with his character "the big O." Keep in mind, the same man who wrote fabulous children's poetry also wrote and illustrated regularly for Playboy.
Read his work with less sentimentality, and you'll find levels of meaning you may have missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple . . . Obvious . . . Beautiful, July 12 2001
This review is from: Missing Piece Meet Big O (Hardcover)
i read this book as a younger boy and it literally changed my perception of things . . . i have given it as a gift to two people who mean a great deal to me and i would recommend anyone pick it up and read it for the first time or just the next time. it is good stuff.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb3c0b630)

Missing Piece Meet Big O
Missing Piece Meet Big O by Shel Silverstein (Hardcover - May 6 1981)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16