5.0 out of 5 stars The encyclopedia of screenwriting
I've taken screenwriting courses and seminars, been to a university for film and creative writing, and I can safely say McKee's book is the purest form of breaking down screenwriting I've ever read. From stem to stern, the book is a road map to developing your screenplay in a systematic, thorough and fleshed out manner, leaving no major stone unturned, revealing all the...
Published on May 20 2004 by J.A.R.

1.0 out of 5 stars CHARLATAN MCKEE
Published on July 2 2004 by C. Hunter Coates

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars CHARLATAN MCKEE, July 2 2004
C. Hunter Coates "Book Addict" (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Story (Hardcover)
I attended Roberth Mckee's the I've-Never-Written-A-Screenplay-In-My-Life-But-Here's-How-In-Three-Hours "workshop". We all sat back and watched the glory and splendor of a few well-lit scenes from Casblanca as McHack droned on and on about their cinematic significance. I found myself occassionally embarrassed at having to wipe the sleep drool from my face. (Luckily I was smart enough to sneak in and not pay $450 for it). The book was worse. The class reminded me more of a cinematography class back at ole USC film school than ANYTHING related to literary theory. I have had one screenplay optioned and directed a short which was at Sundance and gone through developement hell and worked with a good script consultant (Ann Zald - Schindler's List) on my recent script, etc., etc. I'm no Larry Gelbart, but I've been a working, represented writer in this town. McKee's text is more of a rambling, seething mass of amateur exploration than anything resembling the intricacies and time tested princibles of narrative theory and execution. You'll be more confused and stupid reading this text than any other from my estimation. He's a hack. Actually he's not up to the title of hack because he hasn't written anything. Therefore he's a charlatan. For more correct information in my humble opinion and experience, get your feet wet with: Seger's How To Make A Good Script Great, Lajos Egri's The Art of Dramatic Writing; Howard and Mabley's The Tools Of Screeenwriting, Iglesias' 101 Habits of Highly Successful Screenwriters; THEN get more serious with Michael Rabiger's Developing Story Ideas and Gerard Genette's Narrative Discourse Revisited. Of course even better than all that, read the few greats of all time (w/o Cliff Notes, or anybody else's interpratations/footnotes/opinions, etc.): ALL the tragedies of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides, ALL the plays of Shakespeare, ALL of Moliere's comedies, ALL of Tolstoy, Shaw, Twain, Ibsen, Dickens, Austen, Eugene O'Neill and Arthur Miller. I also found How To Read A Book by Mortimer Adler/ Charles Van Doren useful- originally published in 1940 (get the revised and updated edition). Great Writers are Great Readers- Great Comprehenders. I have a lot to learn and read from many geniuses. McKee is not one of them. "There's a sucker born every minute and some people love to be snookered." - PT Barnum

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn from the Master, April 30 2004
Christina Paul "Live like you MEAN it!!" (Anamosa, IA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Story (Hardcover)
If you look at Robert McKee's list of who has taken his course, it reads like a Hollywood Who's Who. I have both the book and the audio cassette and I have read an abundance of books on screenwriting. This book is the best. Fledgling screenwriters need three tools only - a decent screenwriting software package, determination to tell a decent story and this book. McKee is the best there is, and it is no wonder that this is required reading at most film schools.

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for real writers, Feb. 12 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Story (Hardcover)
Ten years ago, I went to McKee's seminar--big mistake. Entertaining, unlike this boring book (so the man can't write--maybe that tells us anything?) but nothing new. The finale was a movie, Casablanca, which contradicted all his "teaching" (e.g. no flashbacks! first act no longer than twenty minutes! not too much talking!--Casablanca had a great flashback, a first act of plus 30 minutes, and almost nothing but dialogue--but for Moron McKee, it was an example... ???). Casablanca was written like a novel: based on characters, changing the screenplay everyday because of the characters, no-one knowing how it would end--until the end. That is real writing. Not: concocting plots, writing outlines and backstories before writing scenes and dialogue; putting your 'inciting incident' in the first ten minutes, and all those silly rules. This is all formula and no wisdom, coming from a would-be rehashing Aristotle and Egri. And then of course there's the fact that the first McKee screenplay(successful--if any) is still to be seen. Those who can, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cover art, Feb. 29 2012
This book is really pretty and smells good, too. WTF are these guys saying? It arrived in good condition? It's written in propeller-head style? You might as well compare it to celery. Story is one of the bibles of screenwriting, and the first 50 pages or so have impressed me enough that I'll buy it as soon as I return my copy to the library. It seems to be a thought provoking, clear, and useful book for would-be screenwriters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for writers of any genre, Nov. 15 2008
This review is from: Story (Hardcover)
I've read this book three times now, once for each of my own books, and it's been an inspiration every time. Full of practical, no-nonsense advice that clears up the muddles of writing. I've also gone to Mr. Mckee's lectures, and it's always time well invested.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing . . ., July 10 2004
stephen3984 (Berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Story (Hardcover)
I have now ploughed through seven different books on screenwriting. Robert McKee's "Story" distinguishes itself as the best in one significant way: It provides real insight into the strucure of story-telling, the techniques that make stories work and the traps that many writers fall into. This is not a paint-by-numbers approach. This book challenges you to think about the ways that people really behave, and how that can be translated in a meaningful way to the silver screen.
If you are going to read just one book on screenwriting, this is the one. I am not sure I will mention Robert McKee in my acceptance speech when I receive my Academy Award for best screenplay , but I might send him a case of champagne ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on Writing Ever, June 14 2004
Eric Is a Real Boy (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Story (Hardcover)
Not an exaggeration at all. I've never read a better book on writing (and not just screenwriting either). This book transcends all forms of literature. Absolutely amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars a word is worth a thousand pictures in this case, June 10 2004
W. Wade "Willhime" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Story (Hardcover)
Story by Robert Mckee is one of the best pieces of literature these old bones have had the pleasure of holding. Every single sentence is chalked full of mountains of wealth. It's like reading Beowulf, without the wolf. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then McKee makes a word worth a thousand pictures with his inspiring and thought invoking writing on screenplays. He tells the reader that one must study the craft of screenwriting before attempting any kind of writing that will be worth anything. He likens it to if someone were to listen to a bunch of symphonies, say all 9 of Beethoven's, then say, "you know what, I can write a symphony." McKee says that film watching and life experiences aren't enough, that one must study the art. He says that life in fact is overrated as a form of qualification for writing. Research is key to knowing how life works also. Life plus deep reflection on our reactions to life. After reading this it is hard not to write something of worth--or at least I think this is the case. It hurts not to write after reading this, and not 'hurts so good' like the John Mellencamp song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, April 20 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Story (Hardcover)
This is a genuinely great book. I was expecting a summary of writing techniques and of the most common types of story and how to write and sell them, but instead McKee starts at the beginning - why we write, what it means to have something to say, how to add depth and layers of meaning to a story - and then moves on to technical advice such as dialogue and scene structure. But don't read this if you want to read an easy paperback and daydream about Hollywood. It's not an easy (or short) book and needs to be read several times to be fully absorbed and thus effective. It makes it clear that writing a screenplay isn't as easy as it looks! Buy it if you're serious and willing to put the effort into understanding it and improving your writing - otherwise, what's the point?

1.0 out of 5 stars A problem, July 30 2003
M. Maloney (Savannah, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Story (Hardcover)
I have worked with several writers who hold Robert McKee as their personal Jesus. Every one of these writers has been irretrievably lost in terms of story structure. Read Gerard Genette if you actually want to learn anything.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaae37918)

Story
Story by Robert McKee (Hardcover - Nov. 13 1997)
CDN$ 44.00 CDN$ 27.72