5.0 out of 5 stars Best of all having it read aloud to oneself
Published on Jan. 21 2004 by Peggy Vincent

2.0 out of 5 stars a childs christmas in Wales
outrageous cost when the price of the retailer is taken into account.

Ordered on Dec 6 and received on Jan 7th.

Merry Christmas to you too ------------- 2013!
Published 19 months ago by denis marantz

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of all having it read aloud to oneself, Jan. 21 2004
Peggy Vincent "author and reader" (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Child's Christmas In Wales Cd: And Five Poems (Audio CD)
Who hasn't read this short tale of magic about Christmas past in a village in Wales, Dylan Thomas' most beloved book? I've read it to myself perhaps 20 times; I've read it to my children and laughed over the pictures maybe 10 more times. But, till now, I've never experienced the joy of hearing the poet himself read it to me. Omigod, what a pure pleasure. Recorded in 1952, this new release is all cleaned up and is a real keeper. Thomas' cadences, inflections, emphasis, pauses, and his marvelous Welsh accent make a listener close her eyes and just get lost in the humor and love and reminiscences of a bygone era.
There are quite a few other selections in this collection - and they're good - but even if you buy it just for A Child's Christmas in Wales, it'll be money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old tradition, Nov. 11 2001
By A Customer
Growing up, my father had a copy of the original vinyl recording of this from the 1950's. Every Christmas it came out and was played, and now I can't think of Christmas without it. After being unavailable for decades, I'm delighted to see this record once again available. Few people know that Dylan Thomas gained fame in his lifetime as a radio personality, and the dry, droll voice of his takes his fantastic prose and breathes a life into it that the simple words themselves cannot demonstrate. A classic, recommended to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recapturing the past we never knew, Dec 21 1999
C. Radda (New Britain, CT USA) - See all my reviews
Christmas so often disappoints us. And why not? How could it ever live up to the sappy and maudlin presentations it suffers so often on TV, in the movies, even in commercials! Along comes Dylan Thomas (well he came along a while ago) and captures elements of the holiday that we can still live today. There is a town shut up against the cold with the occasional hardy soul braving the elements. There are families, rich in generations, sharing a day punctuated more by the telling of tales than the exchange of gifts. There are children overcoming their own fears of the unknown to give "Good King Wenceslaus" to a spectral figure behind a closed door. And there lies, on the final page and in the final line, an ending that captures all of what is best in the holiday and, maybe, what is best in all of us. Granted, until you hear the poet himself read this work, you will never capture the full effect, but you will come close. And you may be more ready for Christmas than you have ever been before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of a Christmas tradition., Oct. 22 1997
Every Christmas Eve, I set aside a few minutes to listen to my CD of Dylan reading "A Child's Christmas" in Wales, placing the special emphasis only he can on the frustrated Mr. Prothero trying to put out a fire in his house, the neighborhood St. Bernards who bellow "Excelsior!" over the town, and the churchgoers who, with taproom noses, go scooping over the ice. The older I get, the more I need this little piece. As friends and family are, for one reason or another, lost with the passing years, it gets harder and harder to laugh, even at Christmas, but Dylan Thomas gives me a good giggle every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas classic in homes throughout the world., Nov. 10 1998
Frank Beck (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Dylan Thomas made hours of recordings of his poems, stories and plays, but none of them is as endearingly personal as this distillation of his childhood Christmases in Swansea. And his performance is unforgettable. Put a log on the fire, and let Thomas's rich, deep voice take you straight to the heart of a child's Christmas.

2.0 out of 5 stars a childs christmas in Wales, Jan. 12 2013
outrageous cost when the price of the retailer is taken into account.

Ordered on Dec 6 and received on Jan 7th.

Merry Christmas to you too ------------- 2013!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great, Jan. 6 1999
By A Customer
Dylan Thomas has, well, how can I put it - a way with words. This is a delightful and extremely droll prose poem, without which Christmas just wouldn't be the same for me. And the author's reading voice is nothing short of magnificent.

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased my first tape of Dylan Thomas reading his poem in Wales, March 4 2014
This review is from: A Child's Christmas In Wales Cd: And Five Poems (Audio CD)
I first heard Dylan Thomas reading his poem on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation station many years ago. It evoked many fond memories of my child hood Christmases spent with much loved relatives in the country. I was so pleased to find it now produced on a CD so I can enjoy it again.

A Child's Christmas In Wales Cd: And Five Poems
A Child's Christmas In Wales Cd: And Five Poems by Dylan Thomas (Audio CD - Oct. 31 2002)
CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 12.99