5.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific and Comprehensive Book I Wish I'd Had From Day 1!, March 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Living Well With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome And Fibromyalgia: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know (Paperback)
I got my copy and sat down and read every word right away (not having a fibro-fog day today!), and had to come over here right now to write this. All I can say is, "WOW!" But I really wish I had this book 4 years ago when I was first diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It only took me 3 doctors over 2 years to get diagnosed...hah...I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. I wish I had this book, because the overview of symptoms would have already helped me cut to the chase and go right to a doctor who would figure this out more quickly. As it was, I went to my primary care doctor, and an infectious disease guy, and an orthopedics doctor, and even a chiropracter, before I finally saw a holistic doctor who specialized in fibromyalgia. Even then, I was so tired, and everything hurt really bad, and the last thing in the world I could stand was the idea of having to start surfing a hundred different web sites and books trying to figure out what I should be doing. Even though I had a good doctor, he didn't have much time to explain everything.
Mary Shoman did all the homework that I would like to have done when I was so sick, but when you're flat on your back on the couch and you can barely move, it's kind of hard to do much. She talks about regular drugs, vitamins, herbs, diet, alternative things you can do, and includes a list of experts from around the country who specialize in treating fibromyalgia and CFIDS. There's a long list of web sites -- I'm going to start checking them out as soon as I finish writing this review -- and suport groups even.
I've read a few of the books on fibromyalgia and they were pretty good, but this one really made sense to me. It doesn't tell me that one particular thing will cure me, but it goes through how I can find out what's going to work best for me. And it was really good to see that I'm already doing some of the things she talks about in the book, so that tells me that my doctor and I aren't totally off base. I'm about 75% back to where I was before I got fibro, but I want to feel 100%.
I can't wait to bring it in to my doctor to talk about some more things we might be able to try that I read about!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highest recommendations!, May 1 2004
Although I have neither of these conditions, I know people who do. This book has given me great insight for which I'm grateful. Ms. Shomon has done it again -- written a book that makes sense and educates without being dry and boring. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Want to Live Well, March 2 2004
By A Customer
Just finished reading the book and feel very charged up. The information provided is well organized and well reasoned and it makes sense! I'm actually believing again that it is possible to live well with fibromyalgia.