5.0 out of 5 stars It takes a graveyard
Imagine Rudyard Kipling's "Jungle Book"... but replace the animals with ghosts, ghouls, werewolves and other such supernatural creatures.

Such is the concept of "The Graveyard Book," which cleverly turns Kipling's classic story into an exquisitely-written, darkly witty fantasy. While it starts as the assorted supernatural adventures of a young boy raised by...
Published on Oct. 9 2008 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Novel, but not Gaiman's Finest.
Published on Nov. 2 2012 by hyperbeeb

4.0 out of 5 stars Gaiman's Graveyard has good bones, March 11 2013
This book feels a little like a series of short stories about one boy growing up. The stories are all excellent on their own and together they form a quilt of wonder that wrapped me in a warm cozy place - not what I expected from a book about a graveyard! Worth a read as is all of Mr. Gaiman's writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Novel, but not Gaiman's Finest., Nov. 2 2012
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Paperback)
From any other author, I would probably be more lenient with The Graveyard book and hail it as excellent work but as all of Gaiman's work is excellent, I must grade this on a curve. The Graveyard Book is fine but of Gaiman's work it is not my favourite. It is missing just a bit of Gaiman's originality and exciting characters. It is an alright novel, probably worth a read but not of Gaiman's best work

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Oct. 2 2010
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Hardcover)
If I could give this book ten stars, I would. This is the first Gaiman book and most likely, it won't be my last. Throughout the book I was entralled from the very beginning to the reader pleasing end.
With a well thought up story, engaging likeable, quirky characters. Gaiman, weaves a tale that is like no other. This book is on my keeper list. Bravo Gaiman!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Newbery Winner of This Century, Feb. 4 2009
Nicola Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Hardcover)
After his family is killed a baby escapes by wandering out the open door and making his way to the graveyard. A married ghostly couple adopt him and name him Nobody Owens, Bod for short. Nobody then commences to grow up in the graveyard and can see and talk with all the ghosts of those buried there. In fact, he himself is not quite in the land of the living but somewhere between the life and death. He must stay here in the graveyard until he is old enough to look after himself on the outside as the man who killed his family is still looking for him and will continue until his job is completed.

I really enjoyed this book. Finally a 21st century Newbery winner I can rave about and recommend. The story and the characters are just wonderful. I really enjoyed the premise. It reminded me a bit, at first, of Terry Pratchett's Johnny and the Dead even though the plot's are completely different. Even though I don't believe in ghosts and my religion tells me differently what will happen in the afterlife, it still is so much fun to imagine a world of ghosts. To imagine graveyards are full of the people buried there talking to each other. The book is really well written, fun and exciting. I think this is the type of book that will appeal to pretty much anyone, even those who don't like fantasy as a rule. Finally a Newbery winner that *will* be enjoyed through the ages!

My only reason for not giving a full rating of 5 is that I really did not like the illustrations at all. They were dark, hard to see the details and I thought the faces were horrible. They definitely did not enhance the reading experience at all. From looking at covers at LibraryThing I see there is an edition with illustrations by Chris Riddell. Now that is someone whose art I appreciate and I'd love to have a look at those illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and warm in the right measures, Feb. 27 2014
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Paperback)
I loved the Graveyard book. It is well written, witty, imaginative and full of feelings and simple truths of life, despite the most unlikely setting. I finished it with a tear to my eye and a pinch to my heart. I will likely read it again sometime in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Our first Gaimen, Nov. 29 2013
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Paperback)
I purchased this book to read to my son who dislikes reading himself. It's a challenge to find a novel that he loves, that I will also enjoy reading aloud. This is a clever, well-written children's novel. Friends were sceptical when I told them that I was reading my son a story of a child whose family is murdered, who's then raised by the inhabitants in a graveyard. But Gaimen has a knack for describing frightening character's (the man, Jack) and scenes in a dark, subtle way without being gruesome. The novel is full of interesting characters and a story line that keeps moving. It held my son's interest throughout. I will definitely explore another Gaimen novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have read, Sept. 28 2013
I don't read a lot of fiction and I would never normally read this type of book, but being familiar with Gaiman's work in the Vertigo Comic "Sandman" I thought I would give it a try. Fantastic. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars On my list of favorites, July 31 2013
Rose (Saint John, NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If you go into this book expecting it to be exactly what it is - a spooky book for kids and young teens - then you will not be disappointed. It was a wonderful story that almost had me in tears at the end.

For a kids book, it is very complex. Gaiman covers all the bases. I didn't end the story with one unanswered question. Everything is explained in due course with no blatant info dumps to be found. By the end, I loved that kid like he was my own. Only very good authors can make me feel that way. Gaiman has a new fan!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book., July 24 2013
So glad I just discovered a new author (to me). The Graveyard Book is stunning, full of imagination & emotion. Love the story & the characters. Will read anything Neil Gaiman writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was recommend by a Friend....what a great Friend, April 8 2013
Neil Gaiman
what a great story teller
i could not put this book down
really
why it has not been made into a movie
is beyond me.
somebody please working on this
Spielberg..........wake up man

The Graveyard Book
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (Paperback - Sept. 20 2010)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49