5.0 out of 5 stars It takes a graveyard
Imagine Rudyard Kipling's "Jungle Book"... but replace the animals with ghosts, ghouls, werewolves and other such supernatural creatures.

Such is the concept of "The Graveyard Book," which cleverly turns Kipling's classic story into an exquisitely-written, darkly witty fantasy. While it starts as the assorted supernatural adventures of a young boy raised by...
Published on Oct. 9 2008 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Novel, but not Gaiman's Finest.
From any other author, I would probably be more lenient with The Graveyard book and hail it as excellent work but as all of Gaiman's work is excellent, I must grade this on a curve. The Graveyard Book is fine but of Gaiman's work it is not my favourite. It is missing just a bit of Gaiman's originality and exciting characters. It is an alright novel, probably worth a read...
Published on Nov. 2 2012 by hyperbeeb

5.0 out of 5 stars The grave necessities, March 18 2009
Amanda Richards (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Hardcover)
Look for the grave necessities
The basic grave necessities
Forget about the living and their strife
I mean the grave necessities
Old Mother Nature's returnees
That bring the grave festivities to life

(Adapted from "The Bare Necessities" - The Jungle Book)

This award-winning novel is actually a collection of related short stories that trace the life of an orphaned boy raised by the inhabitants of a graveyard.

An unlikely survivor of the mass murder that plucked his family from the land of the living, the baby boy is adopted by a deceased cabinet-maker and his wife, and given the name "Nobody" or "Bod" for short. An intervention by the "Lady on the Grey" and the guardianship of a non-reflecting night prowling inhabitant named Silas ensures his safety behind the cemetery gates, with some cool benefits like night vision, fading, haunting and dream-walking.

The humorous, enthralling and sometimes spine-tinglingly macabre stories tell of Bod's various expeditions into the world of the living, as well as his adventures with the dead and undead, and of course there's the whole plot behind the murder of his family to be dealt with.

Another winner from the master of the parallel universe, and highly recommended. Book me a seat for the upcoming movie.

Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Jan. 22 2009
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Hardcover)
To start, I have to say that even though I have been reviewing young adult books, I have only been reviewing them from an adult point of view. I enjoyed reading this book so much and feel that, like his other book that I recently read, CORALINE, this is also a metaphor for growing up. That said, I shall revert to my young adult point of view.

I don't know that I knew much about metaphors and the like when I was younger, but overlooking any of that this was an awesome book to read. I enjoyed the characters throughout the book, especially the people who took care of Bod on a daily basis, like Miss Lupescu and Liza. The ending was kind of sad for me, though I knew it had to happen that way for the story to come to an end.

The story itself was very descriptive and I felt as if I was growing up along with Bod. The only thing that I would have changed is that I wanted to know more about The Jacks and the prophecy that they spoke of. THE GRAVEYARD BOOK is filled with wondrous creatures and I liked the few pictures that there were - they were very well-drawn and I would have liked to have seen more of them.

Overall, I rate this a fantastic read and give it 5 Stars.

Reviewed by: Breia "The Brain" Brickey

5.0 out of 5 stars Neil wows me again!, April 30 2012
G. Larouche (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Paperback)
Neil Gaiman is an incredible writer, and his homage to Kipling's "The Jungle Book" is a gem of so-called children's literature (by that I mean that you can enjoy at any age). The plot follows the young life of Nobody Owens, who after his family was murdered, is raised and looked after by the ghosts and creatures that inhabit an old graveyard. This seems straightforward enough, until Bod gets old enough to start wondering what happened to his family.

Besides giving the reader a very fresh take on the usually terrifying graveyard creature (why can't a ghost be a caring mother to a small baby, after all?), and by depicting children as sharp and resourceful, this rather unique book gives a gorgeous voice to an unlikely story no one could have tackled as well as Gaiman.

It's not very long (I finished it in a couple of days), but it left me deeply touched and happy. I just wanted to hug the storyteller!

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense and Mystery, Dec 29 2009
K. Edwards (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Hardcover)
There is a hand in the darkness, and that hand carries a knife. The knife has dispatched nearly an entire family, and the man holding it is on his way to kill the baby.

But the baby is not in his crib. The baby has wandered up the street to a graveyard. The man is in hot pursuit, but the baby is snatched up by a protective ghost, and disappears. The ghosts of the graveyard decide that they will raise the child, who is still being hunted.

They call him Nobody, or Bod for short. A vampire acts as his mentor, and a werewolf is his tutor. But Bod is growing up fast, and sooner or later, he will have to confront his past.

This book won the Newbery Medal in 2009, for good reason. This is a great book, full of mystery and suspense. A must-read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Our first Gaimen, Nov. 29 2013
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Paperback)
I purchased this book to read to my son who dislikes reading himself. It's a challenge to find a novel that he loves, that I will also enjoy reading aloud. This is a clever, well-written children's novel. Friends were sceptical when I told them that I was reading my son a story of a child whose family is murdered, who's then raised by the inhabitants in a graveyard. But Gaimen has a knack for describing frightening character's (the man, Jack) and scenes in a dark, subtle way without being gruesome. The novel is full of interesting characters and a story line that keeps moving. It held my son's interest throughout. I will definitely explore another Gaimen novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gaiman's Graveyard has good bones, March 11 2013
This book feels a little like a series of short stories about one boy growing up. The stories are all excellent on their own and together they form a quilt of wonder that wrapped me in a warm cozy place - not what I expected from a book about a graveyard! Worth a read as is all of Mr. Gaiman's writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Oct. 2 2010
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Hardcover)
If I could give this book ten stars, I would. This is the first Gaiman book and most likely, it won't be my last. Throughout the book I was entralled from the very beginning to the reader pleasing end.
With a well thought up story, engaging likeable, quirky characters. Gaiman, weaves a tale that is like no other. This book is on my keeper list. Bravo Gaiman!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and warm in the right measures, Feb. 27 2014
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Paperback)
I loved the Graveyard book. It is well written, witty, imaginative and full of feelings and simple truths of life, despite the most unlikely setting. I finished it with a tear to my eye and a pinch to my heart. I will likely read it again sometime in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Newbery Winner of This Century, Feb. 4 2009
Nicola Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: The Graveyard Book (Hardcover)
After his family is killed a baby escapes by wandering out the open door and making his way to the graveyard. A married ghostly couple adopt him and name him Nobody Owens, Bod for short. Nobody then commences to grow up in the graveyard and can see and talk with all the ghosts of those buried there. In fact, he himself is not quite in the land of the living but somewhere between the life and death. He must stay here in the graveyard until he is old enough to look after himself on the outside as the man who killed his family is still looking for him and will continue until his job is completed.

I really enjoyed this book. Finally a 21st century Newbery winner I can rave about and recommend. The story and the characters are just wonderful. I really enjoyed the premise. It reminded me a bit, at first, of Terry Pratchett's Johnny and the Dead even though the plot's are completely different. Even though I don't believe in ghosts and my religion tells me differently what will happen in the afterlife, it still is so much fun to imagine a world of ghosts. To imagine graveyards are full of the people buried there talking to each other. The book is really well written, fun and exciting. I think this is the type of book that will appeal to pretty much anyone, even those who don't like fantasy as a rule. Finally a Newbery winner that *will* be enjoyed through the ages!

My only reason for not giving a full rating of 5 is that I really did not like the illustrations at all. They were dark, hard to see the details and I thought the faces were horrible. They definitely did not enhance the reading experience at all. From looking at covers at LibraryThing I see there is an edition with illustrations by Chris Riddell. Now that is someone whose art I appreciate and I'd love to have a look at those illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was recommend by a Friend....what a great Friend, April 8 2013
Neil Gaiman
what a great story teller
i could not put this book down
really
why it has not been made into a movie
is beyond me.
somebody please working on this
Spielberg..........wake up man

The Graveyard Book
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (Paperback - Sept. 20 2010)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49