5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Well Done Update of a Classic
Published on Nov. 3 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Less enamoured than others
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't love this book.

To start with, it's out of date. For instance, Papazian recommends boiling the beer mixture before starting the fermentation. No concentrate manufacturer I have found recommends this. Several recommend *against* it, saying that it will boil off the good flavours.

Beginners will find little of...
Published on Sept. 3 2010 by Adam R. Norman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Well Done Update of a Classic, Nov. 3 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition (Paperback)
~As a typical homebrewer I enjoy reading as many books about the art as I can find. I was a big fan of the 2nd E of this book. That book got me started. Unfortunately it did go out of date... I am now happy to report that C.P. has done a great job updating his book. It has new information on extracts, hops, yeast, the works. Yet, the basic brewing technique is relatively unchanged. Papazian's writing is easy to read and I enjoy the laid-back style. The tables make more sense now (some~~ minor changes) and the recipes are also nicely revamped. I recommend this book to anyone interested in getting started with homebrewing.~

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and still one of the best, Sept. 22 2010
This review is from: The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition (Paperback)
This book is probably responsible for more people getting into homebrewing than any other book. It's the gateway through which many of the great micro-breweries' founders got their start in brewing.
Charlie has a wonderful casual writing style which is easy to read while not dumbing down the material. While nominally a technical guide, it's also entertaining and extolls the spiritual virtues of great beer, beer with soul.
Some other books may be more technically accurate or up-to-date on specifics of technique, but they just aren't as enjoyable.

If you like beer and brew beer, have wanted to brew beer, you should own this book. Papazian's infectious passion for beer and his straight-forward approach are wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Book to learn to brew!, Sept. 18 2010
This review is from: The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition (Paperback)
Just one tip for homebrewers... Relax... Have a homebrew!

This book is easy to read, full of useful informations about how to start brewing your own beer at home. Took some time at first, but with this book I got lots of useful tips about the different stages of fermentation, the kits you can buy, different recipes and so on!

Thanks Charlie Papazian!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Dec 13 2013
This review is from: The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition (Paperback)
This is a great book. Especially if you are moving from extract to all-grain brewing. There are lots of recipes for the transition. The book is also really well written, some of the descriptions made my girlfriend ask me to make certain recipes, just based on the description of the taste. Highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An aid to get you started in Homebrewing!, May 24 2013
This review is from: The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition (Paperback)
This book is informative, and an easy read. If you are just starting out with Homebrewing you can't go without it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good but....., Feb. 19 2004
Scott D. (Illinois, QCA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition (Paperback)
I'm a beginning brewer. This book came highly recommended by several websites and brewing forums. So I picked this book up.
It's a thorough book and has been updated recently as the Introduction notes.
Overall it was a good book for a beginner but there are some problems.
First, the beginning chapters really barrel through the process so quickly that you're not sure what some of the terminology means. For instance, Pitching. Which is simply a brewer's word for dumping in the yeast. You'll hear the term used through several chapters before you even have a clue what it means. Another is sparging. Which is another brewer's term for straining the spent finishing hops and other stuff out of the beer.
As you can see I've read the entire book and I'm still uncertain of terms and when they are applied. He finally explains those two previously mentioned phrases and many more in the latter half of the book but by that time I was already confused and asking myself what the heck do those words mean? So much so that I don't really think the meanings set in completely for the last half of the book. This could just be my brain hiccupping (no pun intended) or maybe a flaw in the book. You'd have to decide for yourself. I finally noticed the Appendix in the back containing a glossary. *Sigh* oh well.
Second, this is probably the most annoying part of the book for me. He has a motto that he WAY overuses in the book. Every few paragraphs he spouts off this silly motto.... "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew"
Doesn't seem like much but after reading it about 200 times in the book I was tempted to black that stupid phrase with a marker. For as many times as he had that in the book he could have put a quick glossary at the beginning to help us newbies to understand the terms he uses and doesn't explain until after he goes over the brewing process. Can you tell I despise that saying?
Now to the good points of the book.
The book is very thorough with some great recipes and knowledge about where beers come from and what kind is what as well as how they are made. And how to make every single one of these brews. It's an invaluable resource for recipes and little tips on homebrewing and some of the pitfalls. Giving many tips and tricks on how to avoid screwing up your first few batches.
He also gives great explanations on the types of Hops, yeast, grains, and sugars. There are so many your head will spin but he manages to keep you grounded with simple knowledge and easy explanations.
This is definitely a book you'll want in your brewing library. Just remember the first time he mentions Pitching or any term you don't understand. Flip to the glossary on pg.315 and educate yourself. Don't wait for him to explain it. And you'll be fine
Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew! *shiver*

3.0 out of 5 stars Less enamoured than others, Sept. 3 2010
Adam R. Norman "adamnorman" (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition (Paperback)
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't love this book.

Beginners will find little of value here. Making beer is very simple, but Papazian makes it seem very hard (while using a breezy style, as if he is clarifying great mysteries). You really can explain how to make beer on the back of a can.

Intermediate and advanced brewers might like it more. I am not one, so I can't really say. But, as a beginner, I approached my first beer with trepidation having read "The Joy of Home Brewing". When I started my second batch, I threw it away and followed the instructions on the can. They were easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome !, Oct. 28 2008
This review is from: The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition (Paperback)
I brew a few batch with commercial kits but they were not all good. After a read that book, I found a lot of usefull information. I recomended it for those of you who wants to improve your brewing technics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to Brew, Dec 7 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition (Paperback)
This is where you start (and I started) when learning the basics of homebrewing. It is an essential first step and offers simple step by step guidance along with more advanced considerations.

1.0 out of 5 stars I just couldnt handle the tip!, Dec 17 2011
Thess - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition (Paperback)
I took this book out at the library "try before i buy kind of deal" and returned it before i got 25% through.
So im putting my review here and finding something else.
I can sum up the contents of this book with 5 words, which is repeated every paragraph or so and made me wanna jump off a cliff.

Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew! Relax, have a homebrew!

ARRAY(0xac779120)

The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition
The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing Third Edition by Charles Papazian (Paperback - Sept. 11 2003)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43