5.0 out of 5 stars She just keeps getting better...
Published on June 11 2004 by Mary E. Moriarty

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let-down
Published on April 10 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Children Will Carry On., July 17 2004
This review is from: Children Of The Storm (Hardcover)
Elizabeth Peters has been one of my favorite mystery writers for many years now. Her Amelia Peabody series is so well written and documented. She's an archeologist, as is her husband, who loves to explore tombs in Egypt. she has a rather long listing of books, many containing hundreds of pages each. She is prolific. None are hard to read. All are interesting.
I think perhaps my favorite is "Night Train to Memphis" or could be "The Love Talker." This one follows Ms. Peabody and entourage again to Egypt. She not only explores antiquities in strange places, she is also a Master Investigator which gets her in 'hot water' on occasion.
Like me, she indulges in the daily horoscopes. The title for this Peabody/Emerson episode comes from an ancient Egyptian horoscope: "The day of the children of the storm. Very dangerous. Do not go on the water this day."
This is the 15th published "journal" of Amelia encompassing three generations of an amazing family saga (35 yrs. of turbulent history) including a diary of son Ramses, named after a pharaoh.
Amelia was called by the natives, "Lady Doctor" while Emerson was "Father of Curses." Ramses accompanied his uncle Sethos as a secret agent because of his use of disguises and fluency in languages.
Justin had tormented Charla, young daughter of Ramses who'd waited to talk until she got ready, like her dad. Like Eric. Ms. Peters who loves cats almost as much as I do, educated at the University of Chicago like my son Geoffrey, never ceases to amaze me with her knowledge.
This is another page turner, always an exciting "adventure" in store. You are kept in suspense about the happenings until the danger is at hand. She is just plain marvelous with her writing abilities and subject matter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow Paced, June 14 2004
This review is from: Children Of The Storm (Hardcover)
Not one of her better Peabody books, the first 3rd of this book is very slow paced.
It is a great series, and she's a strong writer, but you have to be a dedicated fan to slog through the beginning of the book.
If you are new to reading this series, I would recommend starting off with one of her earlier books. There are a lot of characters to follow, and a long history to each character, so it's not an easy series to jump into part way through.
Having said that, once you start to read the series, you'll enjoy the family and their travels and tales.
It's more of a beach read, than any type of serious intellectual pursuit, but you'll still pick up some interesting trivia along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars She just keeps getting better..., June 11 2004
Mary E. Moriarty "camdenmama" (Kampot, Cambodia, Camden ME) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Children Of The Storm (Hardcover)
I found Elizabeth Peters in Victoria Magazine and am so happy I did.With each of her books she is so skillfull in the way she weaves the characters together. "Children of the storm "is no different. I find I have a very hard time putting her books down. This book kept me right on the edge of my seat the entire time. I think when I read her books that "Oh , That was the best book by far!"But not so, the next one is just as good as the last one was. She really does keep getting better and you won't be sorry you read this one if you have read the others in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let-down, April 10 2004
This review is from: Children Of The Storm (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of the Amelia Peabody books and would give every other one a 5-star rating. However, this one just wasn't up to Amelia's usual standards. It was slow-moving, empty of the witty lines that normally have me laughing hysterically every other sentence, and the characters were a bit flatter than their usual, exciting and individual selves. The funny traits, such as Amelia's list-making and Emerson's loud and oftentimes rude outbursts were more rare and written in less amusing ways. After being excited about reading another of Amelia's journals, from editor's note through the end it was mostly a let-down.
I'm very happy that everything with the Peabody-Emerson family seems to be resolved, and the book is worth-it to read if you are a fan. However, I hate to say it, but I think that there's nowhere else to go. Amelia's generation is in their sixties, the Master Criminal has reformed, Ramses's generation is trying to settle down and become responsible parents, and Davy's generation is too young to do anything exciting. The war is over and Sethos has reformed... I think it's time to be happy with re-reading all the books we have and with the knowledge that everything worked out well. After all, if every year there continues to be "another dead body", I don't think there will be any more amusing people left in Egypt!

4.0 out of 5 stars Children of the Storm, Feb. 27 2004
This review is from: Children Of The Storm (Hardcover)
I've read most of the reviews and I have mixed feelings about them. I thoroughly enjoy the Amelia Peabody books - in fact, I usually howl with laughter. "Children of the Storm" was no exception. Some reviewers are correct - it shouldn't be the first book in the series that a new reader reads. Guess what? Neither should any other book in a seriers be the first one read - except for the intended first book!
I thoroughly enjoyed "Children of the Storm" as well. It was more detailed with family detail. Well, what do readers expect? Amelia has a larger family (extended and friends and "blood" family) than when she started the books. THIS IS REAL LIFE, PEOPLE! This is what happens when people have kids and then grandkids and their kids have friends and the protagonists collect friends through their lives.
I, for one, really enjoyed the thought of Amelia/Emerson being grandparents. I loved the part about the 'motor-car' and all the 'discussions' that went on about Emerson and the men putting it together in the courtyard.... I must admit I couldn't stop laughing @ the thought of what would happen if we tried that @ home....
Yep - the number of people were complicated to follow and the storyline was perhaps improbable, but isn't this escapist fiction? I just enjoyed the ride!
Anyhow - I'm not at all disappointed in the amount of money I paid for this book. It was money well spent in terms of enjoyment and laughter!

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to Love 'Em, But It's So Over Now, Nov. 12 2003
This review is from: Children Of The Storm (Hardcover)
I agree with the reader who said the series peaked with LAST CAMEL. Granted, the romantic tension b/t Ramses and Nefret in that more recent trilogy was a reason to keep reading, but the series' humor and wit died long ago. Come on, Elizabeth Peters fans, can you honestly say any of the last several installments in this saga can hold a candle to the early books? Compare and weep! I'm not trying to be unkind here: no one wishes more than I do that this series was still any good. For years, it was Elizabeth Peters...and nobody else. Now it's just...nobody.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very disappointing Peabody mystery, Nov. 8 2003
Jenny Hanniver "medieval_student" (Philadelphia, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Children Of The Storm (Hardcover)
Maybe even the best mystery series poop out after a while, and perhaps this one desperately needs Abdullah -- alive, not in the occasional dream. I won't bother to explain why I found the first half of this book as eye-glazingly tedious as an issue of GOOD HOUSEBREAKING, since several other reviewers have done that. One of Amelia's most endearing qualities has always been her eccentric attitude toward motherhood and children. Sometimes she reminded me of a female W.C. Fields.
We could have used a lot more of that refreshing sarcasm in CHILDREN OF THE STORM, especially during the genealogically bewildering and slow-moving first part. Since Peters is technically a good writer, the second half moved a little better -- but it never came close to the wit and magic and fine character development of the first Peabody story, CROCODILE ON THE SANDBANK, which, after ten or more re-readings, still makes me cheer the heroes. Even so, despite the excellence of the first book, the series kept getting more and more delicious until its high point in the grand H. Rider Haggard pastiche, THE LAST CAMEL DIED AT NOON, which had me rolling on the floor with laughter and bug-eyed from all the cliff-hanging thrills. Since then -- especially since Abdullah's death -- there's been so much soap opera you have to run to escape drowning in the frothy bubbles. Making Sethos into a hero and a family member was as big a mistake as THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK turning Darth Vader into Luke's Sweet Li'l Ole Reedemable Daddy. And just about as convincing.
I was especially disappointed in this book, though, and can't imagine how a new reader of the series could have tolerated it for ten minutes. Leave the kiddies in England, Amelia, and let's have more of your tomb-crawling and umbrella-bashing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Peabody Please, Nov. 4 2003
This review is from: Children Of The Storm (Hardcover)
A friend of mine got me hooked on the Amelia Peabody series and I have enjoyed reading them ever since. It revolves around a strong willed woman, her hot tempered husband and her stoic son. As well as all of their friends and other family members. Most of the stories take place in Egypt as Amelia's family are prominent archeologists. In this book, artifacts are stolen and a murder occurs, as well as a mysterious figure appearing dressed as the Egyptian goddess Hathor. This story takes place right after WWI has swept through Egypt and England. If Egypt or archeology appeals to you, I think you would enjoy this book as well as all the other Amelia Peabody mysteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read., Oct. 19 2003
This review is from: Children Of The Storm (Hardcover)
I agree with those who advise that this is not the book to start reading the Peabody series with if you have never read any of the previous 14 books. To those who have, I suggest that this one is a refreshing entry in the series. If nothing else it serves to keep both the author and the characters out of a rut. Yes, it is a whole lot more domestic than previous adventures considering this is the first "family reunion" in years. But enjoy the book for what it is and leave reality TV to Hollywood.
I liked the book in spite of its faults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plus Ca Change..., Oct. 8 2003
This review is from: Children Of The Storm (Hardcover)
With fifteen volumes under her umbrella, Elizabeth Peters has an uncontestible hold on the 'turn of the century Egyptologists turned detectives' genre - if there ever really was any competition. Amelia, husband Emerson, children Ramses and Nefret, countless almost children, and now grandchildren have made a long career of running riot through devious crimes commited against the backdrop of ancient tombs and temples. The Emersons may be genteel folk in origin, but in practice they prove as rough and tumble as the villains they fall upon.
This time a series of seemingly unrelated events - a visitation by the Goddess Hathor, the theft of some jewelry from a rich find, and some near misses by local hunters - gradually builds up into a tight net woven to accomplish both grand larceny and revenge. Soon the entire cast of this series are assembled, often, it seems, in one room. Including both of Emerson's brother - quiet-spoken Walter, and the mysterious ex-criminal Sethos. Their opponents are an equally numerous and surprising group, and the resulting chaos is all the more entertaining.
There was a period in this series where the characters became stereotypes of themselves and the story lines a bit formulaic. The Emerson's are alwayts irritating, it is their nature. But for a while, Peters forgot to make them funny enough to compensate. In the very latest volumes, this trend seems to have abated. 'Children of the Storm' moves well, and the characters have become more vivid, even as they have learned to step out of character when it is necessary. In other words, the charm has returns to this series. In fact, I found myself reading it with a certain amount of relish that I have dearly missed.
Peters, as a practicing Egyptologist herself, manages to mix fact with fiction in a concoction that would appeal to anyone who loves tombs and mummies. Whether there ever were archeaologist as unnerving as the Emersons is moot, but one wishes there were. If you have stayed away from some of the latest volumes, it's time to conseder returning.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Children of the Storm
Children of the Storm by Elizabeth Peters (Hardcover - April 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 19.70