5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up from a Connoisseur
Published on July 1 2004 by jamesbernhardt7

3.0 out of 5 stars If your into technique only
If I was a man, and I needed to be told to flick my tongue when I'm down there, or rub it this way or that...well, maybe its me but I felt these were obvious techniques to try which your lady may or may not like. Can't a guy figure that out with each woman on his own? Isn't that half the fun? The title really has the best advice...the THINKING man.

As a woman...
Published on Oct. 28 2006 by Megan

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up from a Connoisseur, July 1 2004
"jamesbernhardt7" (Princeton, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She Comes First: The Thinking Man's Guide to Pleasuring a Woman (Hardcover)
I've always prided myself on my oral abilities and often thought that I should write a book on the subject myself if I wasn't so lazy, since none seemed to be written by straight men or get beyond magazine-type tips. In short, no book elevated oral sex to art. So when I heard about this book, I was ready to hate it and dismiss it as fluff, but I read it over the weekend and it's really substantial and well-written. Dr. Kerner has put into words what I've always felt about oral sex and has even elevated it to the ranks of literature. It is written by someone who loves women and wants to show men how to translate that love into action. The book is really about much more than oral sex and the author brings a knowledge of female sexuality that is unparalleled. Every guy should read this, even if he thinks he's an expert, because it will inspire you to be even better. And not just at oral sex, but at appreciating the sophistication of female sexuality and how it's different than a man's. You'll learn things about women that you never knew before, and it's all fun and easy to read. Dr. Kerner dedicates the book to his wife, and says that in the world of mouth-music, she's his Stradivarius: priceless and precious. That comment says it all about his approach. This book isn't just about satisfying women, it's about cherishing them too and giving them true gifts of pleasure and intimacy. As Rhett Butler said, "you should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how." This book is for any guy who has a romantic streak, or wants to be inspired to have one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good information about female sexuality, March 21 2012
The first section of the book contains good information about female sexuality. The remainder of the book is focused on performing oral sex on women. The book is worth buying for either part alone.

3.0 out of 5 stars If your into technique only, Oct. 28 2006

As a woman reading the book, I can say that although some of these techniques might be enjoyable (although most of them I would just consider foreplay...they definite would not get me there), the MAIN important thing to satisfying me is what is going on in my head. Once my mind is in the right place my husbands technique is of secondary importance...and as long as he is somewhere in the vicinity and not doing anything too distracting I will be satisfied. For my husband and I, nighttime reading of erotica is what saved our sex lives. We can't wait to pull out the books (our favorites which never fail are Enchanted by Nancy Madore, Naughty Bedtime Stories by Joan Loyd and My Secret Garden by Nancy Friday). Reading one or two short stories relaxs me and helps me forget the problems of the day. Where I was almost never in the mood before I started reading at night, it is now a regular part of my life. Plus, the stories gave my husband and I an opening to talk about fantasies, and that has made things more fun in the bedroom too. If you really want to improve your sex life, get your significant other a pile of books. There are tons of them out there. The ones about fantasies are the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars His Wife Must be the Happiest Woman in the World, July 13 2004
"helenmorrisson" (Newton Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I can't marry Ian Kerner, but I can sing the praises of his funny, honest, liberating book. I've seen him a couple of times now on the Today Show and he's always dead-on when talking about sex and what's happening in America's bedrooms. I've even emailed him anonymously with a couple of sex questions and he's been really responsive and caring. Katie Couric won't say the title of the book on TV, but she's a smart girl and I bet you she's got a copy on her bedside table. Smart women like smart guys and She Comes First really is the thinking man's guide for pleasuring woman. It's about time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Informative and Thorough, July 6 2004
By A Customer
I can do nothing but praise Ian Kerner's work, She Comes First. Don't think that it's training men to be more generous out of charity. It plainly explains WHY men should make sure their partners have been given ample attention as well as HOW to do so. This book brilliantly addresses issues of safety, effective technique, variety, philosophy, biology, psychology and so on. This work is the perfect blend of humor, humility, statistically-based facts, genius insight and creativity. You can feel illuminated just by the first few chapters and still want to take more in. I know this is definitely a great read for us guys and imagine women would likely enjoy learning more about how exactly their bodies are working. Pick it up now and hope for more from this author. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, Jan. 5 2013
I picked up this novel with the intention of learning something new about a pretty important, yet hush-hushed, aspect of life. The novels structure helped me to follow along and build up knowledge without getting too swamped with information to continue. What I learned was extremely interesting and applicable to real life - plain and simple. I have learned since, through applying my knowledge, that the steps to success are not necessarily universal (one technique does not get it done for every woman - due to mental, physiological or emotional factors not considered in the novel) in their order. Keeping in mind the 3 principles he provides, sometimes switching the method within the bounds of the readings is necessary to produce success. Though this does not take away from the fact that the information Ian Kerner provides results in a better informed reader and more caring and compassionate lover and friend. You are given the information - the lemons - it is you choice and foresight that will determine how you manipulate or turn this raw info into lemonade!

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Master your woman, Jan. 25 2011
This is a really, really good guide. It covers the physics but more importantly the whole deal. If you aren't sure, after going through this easy read, you'll be confident. Other books are vague or confusing. Not this one. She'll have no idea how good it can be!

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for the sexually challenged!!!, July 2 2004
Brownie McCupcake (Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
i originally heard about this book in jane magazine - it was pictured with a tshirt sporting the book title. i thought it was a great title and i LOVE the cover image - the out-of-focus banana in the background really makes the cover. but i didn't think much else, as my partner is generally skilled in that area.
then i heard ian kerner on howard stern - and i was totally piqued. i started thinking, this would be a great gag gift for the boyfriend - he wouldn't be offended, he'd probably laugh! right after the interview, my boyfriend called me and asked
if i'd been listening to stern just then. he wanted me to remember the title b/c he decided he wanted to buy it. i was like, um... you don't really need instruction... and he proceeded to tell me how insecure he was with his abilities and what a quandry my nether regions were and that it would just (at least) make for interesting reading.
so this morning, i went out to the book store (the first one didn't have it; imagine my entertainment at asking the little old lady behind the counter for such a title...) and purchased it as part of his birthday present. i was just going to wrap it but i was intrigued. being an avid reader (and an english teacher, as i've previously stated), i skimmed the entire book in about an hour before wrapping it. i LOVE LOVE LOVE it! and, i'm almost embarassed to admit, i was getting completely aroused just reading about my capabilities and the processes that were outlined! ladies, we are blessed with an incredible capacity for pleasure!!! men, it would strongly benefit you to understand how to "unlock" all of that!
even if you don't think you or your partner needs any coaching on the technical aspects of oral sex, it would still behoove you to read this book. plus, it is an interesting and entertaining read! ian kerner was a professor of literature, so he is quite a skilled author. again, i am an english teacher, so i feel i can speak with some authority on the subject. it would be hard to select my favorite points that were touched upon - but let me say that i was pleased to see him call out freud's bullying about immature clitoral orgasms. i love his own autobiographical info - i think it will really ease a man's mind to see that this is not some fabio-lookin'-sculpted-sweaty-greek-god, but, rather, a real person who has experienced trouble as well. i love the rope-a-dope/flat, motionless idea - a lot of boys don't realize the potential of just letting us do our thing; i love the detail with which he describes the clitoris - hell, i've got one and i had no idea it had 18 parts - how is a man supposed to know if i don't??? i love the detail with which he describes all of these techniques - i've skimmed through many a sex book in my times and none of them offer as much technical instruction!
basically i loved this book. i loved it so much that i had to write to ian kerner to tell him so. i can't wait for my partner to read it, and i REALLY can't wait for him to try out the new techniques. if he pleasured me so well before, i can only imagine...
on that note, let me state that this is an incredibly useable and useful book. and, again, even if you don't think you need it, you do! you will, whether consciously or not, benefit. happy reading, and, as ian says, "viva la vulva!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Guys, Gals, couples... Read this book, July 14 2014
best book ever

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, May 13 2014
very explicit well explained techniques and anatomy,i thought i knew how to please my wife .I was so wrong!!! You want her to beg you to go down on her(screaming orgasms) then this is it!!

She Comes First: The Thinking Man's Guide to Pleasuring a Woman