5.0 out of 5 stars What a charming book!
I've read so many fantasy novels lately that I'm on the run for new authors...I'm so glad I found Trudi Canavan! This book just flew, and left me panting for the next.
Published on June 18 2004 by cymraess

3.0 out of 5 stars quick fantasy read
Cover:
A typical fantasy cover, not much to say really.

Writing:
(2/5) It's not that well written and it's very evident that this is the author's first work.

Setting:
Published 4 months ago by Fantasys Ink

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars quick fantasy read, Dec 4 2013
Fantasys Ink (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Cover:
A typical fantasy cover, not much to say really.

Writing:

Setting:
(2/5) Like the writing, the setting wasn't that special. Think stereotypical fantasy with a group of magicians and I'm pretty sure you'll have a pretty accurate idea of the setting in your head. It lacked a lot of originality and overall is the low-light of the book.

Plot:
(4/5) I believe the plot is where the book shines. The largest flaw I saw was the drawn out game of cat-and-mouse with Sonea and the Magicians. It was very obvious that Sonea would be eventually caught, and I don't now about you, but runaway plots usually bore me. Despite this, the book was fast paced and it started getting pretty good by the second half. There weren't much twists nor did it really keep me at the edge of my seat, but it was a really quick, fun read.

Main Character:
(2/5) Sonea is our main character, a slum girl who discovers she posses magic. Again, not very original, but it could have been remedied if Sonea had an interesting personality, which sadly, she didn't. If she was a modern day heroine, she would have been even more boring and I would have rated her a one. She also has the usual view of the higher ups.

Villain:
(3/5) The Magicians were Sonea's antagonists for the first half of the book, but they weren't really villains. For the second half, we had this petty Magician as the villain, and I liked that far more than your usual stereotypical dark lord/king.

Other Characters:
(3/5) The other characters were more engaging than Sonea, that's for sure. My least favourite had to be Sonea's friend Cery, who was only slightly less boring than Sonea, and I didn't enjoy the parts of his point of view too much. The rest of the characters are engaging enough and I'm especially curious about High Lord Akkarin (the leader of the Magicians' Guild) with that revelation at the end.

Overall:
(16/30) If you're looking for a fresh and original fantasy series, this is definitely not for you. But if you're looking for a fun and quick fantasy read, I would recommend The Magicians' Guild. Despite Canavan's rough start with this trilogy, I'm quite curious to see where it will go next.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a charming book!, June 18 2004
This review is from: The Magicians' Guild: The Black Magician Trilogy Book 1 (Mass Market Paperback)
Sonea is a slum girl who, accidentaly during the yearly 'purge' of unwanted poor folk from her city, throws a rock at a magician and breaks through the barrier. This sends both the slums and the Magicians into chaos as Sonea seeks to control her new found powers and hide from the magicians and the magicians squabble amoung themselves about what to do about this. They never test people from the slums for magic. A good half of the book is this cat and mouse chase between Sonea and her allies and the magicians...and the rest...well I won't give the plot away.
Canavan is excellant at creating characters. Sonea is vivid in her terror and her stuborness and the loyalty of her friend Cery is touching. The Thief she hides with for a while is an intriuginig character as is the head of the Magicians, Akkarin. There are good magicians and not so good ones, but they are all so colourfully created that I know them well in my mind. Her two most central magicians, Rothen and Dannyl, so remind me of excentric proffessors at a universit...they certainly made me smile.
In anycase, this is a charming, wonderful book. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a series, Sept. 9 2006
Ms. H. Sinton "dragondrums" (Ingleby Barwick. U.K.) - See all my reviews
Sonea is poor and lives in the slums. Once a year the King orders the Guild of Magicians to purge the slums of beggars and vagrants. It is during one of these purges that Sonea, in a fit of rage, discovers she has the power of magic. Only the Magicians are allowed to practice this craft and Sonea does not belong to their elitist group. In fear of her life, she goes into hiding whilst the Magicians do all in their power to find this 'rogue' user of magic.

This is a fantastic start to a new series, very readable and keeps the interest going from the first page to the last. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magitian's Guild, Nov. 2 2010
Just the book I wanted and in great shape. This filled a series wherein I had books two and three but was unable to find the first novel. This is my initial experiment of this type and it has worked seamlessly, exceeding my expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad,, Feb. 11 2006
This work is okay as far as books go. It was well written and easy to follow, but lacked the intense action for which I read these for. She can take a lesson from Brian S. Pratt who wrote The Unsuspecting Mage. There he kept the pace fast and the outcome very uncertain.
I enjoyed this book , and look forward to the next one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic and disappointing, July 19 2004
Jennifer Sigman "Opinionated" (Columbia, SC United States) - See all my reviews
I wish I had gotten this from the library instead of paying money for it. Formulaic, boring, predictable, and downright dumb in the end. There's much better fiction elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough material for a trilogy, July 15 2004
By A Customer
Poor girl discovers she has magic powers, rich powerful magician's organization must find her or her uncontrolled power will destroy her, many others and perhaps the whole city. She thinks the magicians are evil and trying to kill her, so she hides. Two magicians are leading the search. One who wants to find her out of the goodness of his heart and the other for revenge/his own evil ends. After finding her, the two magicians manuever to control the girl and convince her to join them. At the VERY end (last 10 pages) a great evil is revealed (which will obviously be the center of book two).
All of this info is pretty much laid out for you in the first 30 pages (so I don't feel I'm giving anything away) and NOTHING else really happens for the rest of the book!
Trudi Canavan is an excellent writer. The writing was very suspensful and engaging. Like other reviewers I couldn't put the book down. But nothing really happened! It feels like she has taken an excellent 500 page story and stretched the material into a 1200 page trilogy. This would be the death of a book for most authors, but Trudi Canavan manages to keep it entertaining.
I will read the rest of the series because Ms. Canavan is such a good writer, that I really do want to know what happens next. I Advise others to buy all three books at once (so wait for the third to be released).

5.0 out of 5 stars This book stinks!, July 8 2004
By A Customer
okay, so your asking why this book stinks when I gave it 5 stars?! I haven't slept good since I got this series. Late nights reading trying to finish because I was so drawn into the book. The down side is the 3rd one isn't out yet.
Looking forward to more reads from Trudi.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!, June 6 2004
Carlin (The Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is almost certainly one of the best books I have read in a long time. I picked it out with a couple other books, and after reading it, I quickly had to go find the sequel. The plot is captivating and never lets up, and Sonea-the heroine-is an original and definitely likeable character. After reading series that basically involved girls with the same personality, reading about Sonea is a big relief. She doesn't constantly stupid decisions, and she's tough. She doesn't allow her emotions to get the best of her, but she is thinking ahead to protect those she loves. I had to order the third one from Australia because I couldn't wait until September!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic new fantasy read!!, May 26 2004
Lokipup (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This book is a must read for anyone looking for a new fantasy author. She writes an entertaining story that entwines you within its plot. The characters are well developed and the story keeps you guessing until the end, and the leaves you begging for more. I loved this book, and I would recommend this book to both adults and young adults trying to find a new title, only because it is an easy read without the pointless descriptions that plague some books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xba556f6c)

The Magicians' Guild: The Black Magician Trilogy Book 1
The Magicians' Guild: The Black Magician Trilogy Book 1 by Trudi Canavan (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 8 2004)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54