Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Tools

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on March 23, 2004
Rather enjoyable read. Sonea was a real person, she made mistakes she had her flaws. While we could see different people's perpectives the storyline wasn't spoilt by this but it seemed as though it was enhanced by this.
I love the way Trudi Canavan makes things flow. She just has this way with words and The Magician's Guild leaves off with a sense of closure but with enough promise for a reader to make them wanting more and begging for a sequel.
Although I have a couple of complaints. There were too many characters introduced in the first few chapters and as a result I tended to confuse one character with another. Still you firgure out who's who and get definate pictures of what kind of people they are after awhile. It would be something you would need to read twice to make sure you understood properly. Also it was a bit short but that seems to be rather common in the first book.
I recommend getting all three books and waiting for a raining day that way you can fully enjoy the Black Magician Trilogy
on March 19, 2004
In Imarden, there is a Magicians' Guild among the upper classes and a Thieves' Guild among the lower classes in the slums. The slum dwellers hate magicians who represent the upper classes and do little to help the poor. Sonea has magical powers emerge when a conflict arises during a purge affecting her family and friends. The problem is that her powers are strong and uncontolled, and a danger to the city.
The Magicians' Guild seeks to find her and bring her under control. The Thieves' Guild (or some parts of it) want to hide her to use her powers. Things are complicated by the elitist attitude of some magicians, who feel that only upper class citizens should be allowed into their guild. All of this comes together as competing interests collide.
Events in the plot and the epilogue lead into a sequel. Overall, it is a good novel, but I subtract a star from novels that require reading a sequel to continue the plot, i.e., there are loose ends left to sequels.
on May 6, 2004
As i live in Australia i have read and enjoyed all three of her books. I have been trying out new Sci-fi/Fantasy authors for awhile and i am usually dissapointed so it was a very nice suprise to find myself really enjoying the TBM trilogy. I even found myself staying up till 4:30 in the moning to finish the last book.
My only complaint is that the third book could have had a better ending, which is the reason i gave 4 stars instead of 5. It was rushed and left me with unansered questions plus i would have liked a better outcome for Akkarin.
I'm really looking forward to more books from Trudi Canavan. :o)
on February 10, 2006
This work is okay as far as books go. It was well written and easy to follow, but lacked the intense action for which I read these for. She can take a lesson from Brian S. Pratt who wrote The Unsuspecting Mage. There he kept the pace fast and the outcome very uncertain.
I enjoyed this book , and look forward to the next one.
on November 2, 2010
Just the book I wanted and in great shape. This filled a series wherein I had books two and three but was unable to find the first novel. This is my initial experiment of this type and it has worked seamlessly, exceeding my expectations.