5.0 out of 5 stars A Landmark Resource!
Published on July 15 2006 by Donald Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Bunch of Crap
This book as a few tidbits of good, useful information but 90% of it just hot air. A very unhealthy way to live your life.
Published on Nov. 2 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars A Landmark Resource!, July 15 2006
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Most peoples' bookshelves are weighed down with self-help books. Some teach you how to lose weight. Others refocus your financial development. Still others help you with relationships. Yet others look at better habits. And others propound moral principles to guide you. What most of these books have in common is that they are usually superseded by a new and better book . . . soon after being published. How can you hope to keep up? Well, you couldn't . . . until now.

Jack Canfield and Janet Switzer have created something different in the self-help literature -- a compendium of the principles that have stood the test of time. I didn't find a single source of ideas that I like (except those that are only grounded in my religious beliefs) that wasn't included here somewhere.

The book is organized in several sections to make these references easier to follow: The Fundamental of Success (which includes principles like Take 100% Responsibility for Your Life, Be Clear Why You're Here, Decide What You Want, Believe It's Possible, Believe in Yourself, Unleash the Power of Goal-Setting, Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, Be Willing to Pay the Price, Reject Rejection, Use Feedback to Your Advantage, Commit to Constant and Never-Ending Improvement, Practice Persistence, and Exceed Expectations); Transform Yourself for Success (which includes principles like Drop Out of the "Ain't It Awful" Club . . . and Surround Yourself with Successful People, Acknowledge Your Positive Past, Face What Isn't Working, Transform Your Inner Critic into an Inner Coach, Stay Motivated with the Masters, and Fuel Your Success with Passion and Enthusiasm); Build Your Success Team; Creative Successful Relationships; Success and Money; and Success Starts Now.

The authors also provide many free tools to help you succeed.

If the strength of this approach is that you cover the waterfront of sound principles, the weakness is that the coverage is pretty thin in places. That will be the gripe of many people against this book. But unless it was to be 2,000 pages long, that weakness is unavoidable. The suggested reading and other references in the back, however, are more than adequate to lead someone to deeper resources where they are needed.

I only noticed one unmitigated weakness in the book: a preference for evolutionary change and improvement rather than encouraging readers to develop breakthrough skills as well.

To give you a sense of how valuable I found this book, I persuaded the dean of the university where I teach to let me launch a new course for self-improvement based on The Success Principles as the text. This one book will replace what many students are now acquiring through taking as many as six other courses. I see that as an important step forward for their educations . . . and yours, too, if you read and apply this book as I have been doing since I read it. I've seen immediate results . . . and believe that you will, too!

If you are a writer, you will also enjoy the many places in the book where Mr. Canfield shares lessons from his remarkable success with developing the series, Chicken Soup for the Soul.

If you have already read much of the success literature, you probably think this book isn't for you. I beg to differ. Seeing so many good ideas in one book will help you weld together good habits and actions in even more constructive ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE ON EVERY BOOKSHELF!!, Nov. 3 2007
E Kelly (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Success Principles(Tm): How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be (Paperback)
If you read this book and take the actions suggested you will not fail! Uplifting, inspirational and definaltey thought provoking, a MUST read for any who is serious about being successful in every aspect of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Energy flows where attention goes, Jan. 16 2009
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I have read many self help books, and opening this book, and reading the 6 pages of testimonials and quotes, many from renowned authors or business people forms the impression that this book is out of the ordinary.

This book is a great reference and an excellent teaching manual for either a relentless self improver, or aspiring life coach. In the first 20 pages alone is major information about discovering your life purpose. Everything else flows from having a major definite purpose.

Taking 100% responsibility for what happens in your life, as opposed to blaming is also a very powerful concept. The greater the sense of responsibilty you take for what happens in your life, the more you can control and direct what happens.

As your sense of responsibility increases, your response ability improves.

I am also really liking the formula E + R =O. Event + response = Outcome. When events happen, how we respond, determines the outcome. We don't necessarily control the event, we do have control over how we respond, and that is what determines the outcome. So, if you don't like the outcome, of if you want a different outcome, change the response, or you will keep getting similar outcomes. This is how we break out of unproductive habits.

I have passed this idea along to several people who all loved it, and bought the book on the strenth of this one idea.

All these concepts are in the early part of the book, so you can probably imagine how much benefit can be derived from the remainder of this amazing book. More recently, I acquired the audio version of this book, which is narrated by Jack Canfield. If you like the book, you'll like this too.

I hope you find this review helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing., Jan. 7 2014
Never in my life have I learnt so much about how much controls I have in my life, and that as long as I move forward I will always be able to achieve my goal via the law of attraction. The most life changing book I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Chapter Is Worth The Price, Dec 12 2013
LinuxMint (Calgary, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
I've only read the first 3 chapters due to lack of time. But I've already experienced tremendous life change just because of the 1st Principle in the book: "Take 100% Responsibility For Your Life"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, July 16 2013
Jack writes an easy to follow self help book. I enjoy reading the real life examples he uses to show individuals that used particular concepts and succeeded! This is a great motivational piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chock Full of Life-Improving Wisdom and Practical Advice - You Can Start NOW!, May 7 2013
There is so much in this book that you'll be caught between the burning desire to finish reading it as fast as you can, and the hard-to-resist compulsion to stop and complete the dozens of practical exercises and challenges presented by Mr. Canfield and Ms. Switzer. There... you see? I am SO encouraged right now, that i can't even avoid monster run-on sentences! lol What a gift and invaluable tool this is for me as I START NOW to end the madness of mediocrity in my life and instead pursue my purpose and passion to help others discover their destiny as children of a loving (and cheering!) God. "Thank You" just isn't enough. Really. May God bless you all... even more! Sincerely, Todd Ringness, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars My Bible, July 25 2012
This book is like a bible to me. Being self employed in a family business, I am faced daily with challenges that can be very overwhelming. When I feel this way I start to read this book again and again. It helps me to regroup and get my confidence back. It sounds silly, but its true. This definately should be taught in high school. Whatever your quest is, this books lessons help to give you a strategy for success. Not everyone has a university degree and sometimes even the basic lessons are only what you need for success.I only hope someday that I can attend one of Jack's seminars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Success and wellbeing take time and effort, Nov. 14 2006
"Attitude is Everything" says Keith Harrell in his book. Jack Canfield elaborates about that throughout the pages of his book as he lays out his 64 Success Principles. Learn the basics of success -- "reject rejection"; think positively; overcome your self-defeating beliefs, fears and habits; don't settle for second best; set your goals, and find someone who can help you achieve these goals; etc, etc. Anyone who is serious about getting ahead in his or her life needs to get this book and keep it among other MUST HAVES

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, concise...so much more than a "how-to" book., Nov. 17 2010
The Success Principles is one of the best books I've ever read on the subject. It's a very thick book, so at first glance one would assume that it's been "padded," but that's not the case at all. Every single page offers sound, practical advice on how to get ahead -- regardless of where you would place yourself on the scale of success. It's too loaded with information to just read once and assume you've got it all, though, and that is a plus in my mind. I'll be reading this book over and over again, page by page and chapter by chapter, applying everything that I learn in logical sequence. I can't see how the advice in this book could produce anything BUT positive results regardless of what your goal is. FIVE STARS. Very highly recommended!

ARRAY(0xad3f2a98)