Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Crocktober Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 11, 2005
While some people may be disappointed the novel is not set in Japan, "The pearl diver " is nevertheless very entertaining. Having recently read Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen confidential", I found the characters and setting of the most recent novel of Massey very realistic. The world of Washington DC with its restaurants where the politicos mingle, the Mall, the transportation system, the different neighborhoods, the people, all this is for me as foreign as Japan. Rei Shimura, our tireless heroine, is mixed in a story where people disappear and reappear but the reader doesn't have a clue who are the real bad guys. The many subplots are unpredictable which sustained my curiosity. The relationship between Rei and Hugh, her fiancee, has its ups and downs like real people and I truly love the way Massey has the couple interact. A well-written mystery drawing our attention to the history of the Japanese war brides in America with a serene ending.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again