Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on November 26, 2015
BEST BOOK!! Not a hard read, not a fast read but a great read.
on November 24, 2015
Awesome awesome awesome!
on November 4, 2015
A Classic! Great for anyone interested in Christianity from inside or outside the faith! Must read!
on October 23, 2015
a must read for everyone.
on October 22, 2015
Mere Christianity is a foundational book for any christian wanting to defend the faith. It is a bit hard to understand, being written by a professor. However if you take your time it will be well worth it. It contains a very good explanation of predestination that I found helpful when I was a new Christian.
on September 17, 2015
love this book
on September 4, 2015
Part way through it and so far, very interesting.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 8, 2015
What a breath of fresh air! I have been trying to finish some heavy theological books (mainly Catholic) which I am noticing have been causing me some confusion and brain freeze. As I read these theological books I often wonder "where do they (the authors of these theological books) come up with this stuff?? Now I completely understand these wonderful theological giants are smart and I am not, but I think heaviness and confusion does not help me practice my faith in a open hearted way.
Now this little gem of CS Lewis is clear and light and insightful. He summarizes the Christian faith beautifully. He is funny. He is to the point. Even the fourth part, where he tackles Christian theology, is simple and clear and understandable. This book helps with inspiring faith and living it and loving it.
on August 1, 2015
#Bookreview: #MereChristianity by #CSLewis Part one of three Considered by many Christians to be a classic of modern apologetics, the influence of Mere Christianity certainly seems to be ubiquitous in the field since the latter half of the 20th century. Ideas presented in the text,such as Lewis’ trilemna, are now standards of apologetic rhetoric, and the claim that most apologists were once “atheists” has become a farcical canard continually trotted ever since. On the whole, the work is one of the more pleasant apologetic books to read. CS Lewis has a legendary grasp on language and maintains a very personable tone throughout the book. Structurally the book has been split thematically into four sections, which are essentially the moral argument, Christian beliefs, Christian morals, and theology. As an atheist it is primarily the first section that interests me, as the moral argument is often presented as one of the rational proofs for God. In fact this idea underpins the whole work, since Lewis works off of the assumption of its validity as the basis of many of his other points. The problem, which I will explain in my second post, is that I do not find the moral argument convincing, which means that I do not find many of Lewis ideas very good either. This is not to say that I completely reject every idea that Lewis brings to the table, only that I do not accept his attempt to unify all understanding under the axiom of Christian theology. At times this can mean that I find his points either shallow or convoluted, but I will grant him two things: 1) Theology is a somewhat internal mater that cannot have the same meaning to an outsider who does not accept its central axioms 2) we are all allowed our vitriol, so long as it is not dangerous. For all his cleaver metaphors and linguistic flourishes, it feels like he is expanding upon a literary construct rather than demonstrating a truth. In fact, Lewis does not provide any substantive evidence and often handles counter arguments poorly. For example, he claims that as an atheist his argument against God was that the universe was unjust, but that this demonstrates a standard of justice and God must be this standard. This is simply fallacious thinking. The universe simply “is”, it has no distinct moral character. It does not correct or punish. Morality as I will attempt to show latter is a description of the interaction between minds and actors. This leaves me with the feeling that rather than attempting to provide a case to non believers he is actually trying to rally and encourage those people who already agree with him by providing easy intuitive answers. The other problem with the work, like many other apologetic works, is the attempt to create forced questions by misleading the reader with either/or scenarios. For example the trilemna does not prohibit you from accepting Christ as a great moral teacher, as even a liar or a madman is not prohibited from the truth and a wise conman or occasionally lucid madman are still more likely than the supernatural. In summary, I found Lewis’ writing style compelling and many of his analogies were quiet ingenious in explaining his view of Christian theology; however, I believe he fails to ensure the validity of his axioms before he begins building his case for Christianity. It is easy to see why Mere Christianity has earned a place in modern apologetics, but for those of us who haven’t already accepted its core premises it is simply not a convincing thesis.
on July 25, 2015
A very nice book, but the paper of the book are not as good as I expected